200 Baht Admission to Sam Phan Nam Floating Market

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Big Boy

Re: 200 Baht Admission to Sam Phan Nam Floating Market

Post by Big Boy »

I went to Amphawa 2 years ago, but did not find it very authentic, although it was free.

To me, a floating market is one where locals take their boats loaded with their wares to a single area (market) to sell their wares. To fully access those wares, you have to take a boat around the market. The market at Amphawa is little more than a series of market stalls on a dockside around a river inlet. The goods are brought to market by road. To access them, you simply walk around like any other market. The only river activity was the long tailed speed boats (that didn't go very fast) taking you around local riverside temples.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Let's be honest, these are really just tourist attractions now and bear little resemblance to their original purpose. I remember going to the market you went to BB many years ago and once was enough.

But recently I went to one of the smaller markets that are in Bkk and actually found myself enjoying it. It had a much larger normal market to enjoy, just catering for Thais really and we took a cruise along the klongs to a quite interesting old temple and back. The actual floating market part was quite small, but it made for a pleasant afternoon and I bought quite a few plants / bulbs.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

We all like what we like, and we like different things, so will not disagree. The only thing I'll say is I expect a floating market to be floating, and a regular market to be on solid ground.

I think I've let my feelings about shopping of any kind be known on here, but if I take visitors to see a floating market, I just expect it to be afloat.

The truth is, while our visitors were afloat at Damnoen Saduak Floating Market, I was sat in a coffee shop.
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 2:29 pm The truth is, while our visitors were afloat at Damnoen Saduak Floating Market, I was sat in a coffee shop.
It's a long time since I've been but there used to be a place that did cocktails at the first one in Hua Hin where you could make yourself "float" if you put a bit of effort in!