Thailand has a whopping $40 billion in unsold homes

Ask here about the pleasures and pitfalls of buying, selling or renting property and real estate in Hua Hin. Building, design and construction topics welcome. Commercial or promotional posts for real estate companies or private properties are forbidden.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Thailand has a whopping $40 billion in unsold homes

Post by handdrummer »

In all this talk of cost there is no mention of quality of materials or workmanship. I rent a 2 bd, 2bth, house in a development and if it is the standard for materials and workmanship it's not worth much. I haven't seen the inside of many houses in Thailand but those that I have seen are poorly designed, sloppily built and use cheap materials. To get quality you have to know the contractor and he has to be on site.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

handdrummer wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:20 am In all this talk of cost there is no mention of quality of materials or workmanship. I rent a 2 bd, 2bth, house in a development and if it is the standard for materials and workmanship it's not worth much. I haven't seen the inside of many houses in Thailand but those that I have seen are poorly designed, sloppily built and use cheap materials. To get quality you have to know the contractor and he has to be on site.
Spot on which is why most 7-10-15million priced houses round Hua Hin are laughable. The build quality is far, far inferior to that of many European countries, materials cheap and labour cheaper. To ask for £200k plus is just insulting people's intelligence.

But... it's not against the law to ask! Just greedy. A spot in hell awaits for that sin, unfortunately.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Going off topic I know but Lost £300 a filling I wish.

You are extremely patronising regarding people who wish to buy homes here.

Building standards by the major house builders in the UK are often shocking eg recent problems with Bovis.

And finally PRICES that’s how capitalism works, business charges what the market will pay.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Too big to post and not all relevant to Hua Hin:
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Lending curbs set to hit residential sales

https://property.bangkokpost.com/news/1 ... recent_box

Developers are likely to slow provincial launches

The Bank of Thailand's macroprudential policy will hurt future residential sales in 20 first- and second-tier provinces, with Chon Buri continuing to see the largest number of unsold units, which last year represented more than one-third of the total.

Vichai Viratkapan, acting director-general of the Real Estate Information Center (REIC), said the new lending curbs will have a significant impact on home purchasing power in the second half of the year after they take effect on
April 1.

"Many developers may slow new supply launches over concerns about the market impact of the new lending rules," Mr Vichai said. "The monthly absorption rate will drop in the second half from the first half in all provinces and all housing categories."

The REIC each year surveys the residential market in Greater Bangkok (which includes the capital, Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon and Nakhon Pathom), as well as in 20 provinces in four regions nationwide.

The central region comprises Ayutthaya and Saraburi, while the western region includes Phetchaburi and Prachuap Khiri Khan. The southern region comprises Phuket, Songkhla, Surat Thani and Nakhon Si Thammarat.

The eastern region is made up of Chon Buri, Rayong and Chachoengsao, while the northeastern region is Nakhon Ratchasima, Khon Kaen, Ubon Ratchathani, Udon Thani and Maha Sarakham. The northern region contains Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Tak and Phitsanulok.

..................................................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> more
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

dundrillin wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:49 am Going off topic I know but Lost £300 a filling I wish.
The going rate nowadays at any private clinic. £250 for a 10 minute extraction. Don't tell me you settled for a life on NHS prices... only a fool would do that if bestowed the skillset of a dentist.
You are extremely patronising regarding people who wish to buy homes here.
If that's how I came across, I apologise. Certainly wasn't my intention. My post was about the disgusting prices some people are trying to milk the buyer for in Hua Hin. The buyer is, of course, probably unaware of the cost of build and land here (land being expensive if Somchai or Bill wants 10x profit on land they bought 8 years ago!) and pays money believing they got a good deal until their next door neighbour tells them they got the same place for half the price.

Now they have got to live there, in the house they love, knowing they were duped for the price. It can wreck a retirement believe me.

One should make 6-10k sterling on a build with end buyer. That is a great little earner for 3-6 months 'work' (popping in once a week and making some emails). Anything more than that is greed.

Edit: I'm gonna call you Dr. Dundrillin for now. I've the upmost respect for people who have achieved an academic status as yours. Fair play. Would have taken a lot of time and effort.

:cheers:
Last edited by Lost on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

As Buksi said, the tourist towns are the worst for hiking prices to well above the going rate for build per sqm. I know 3 or 4 people who have dropped their asking prices from 15-20 million to 10-15 million. They will still make a tidy profit and, they will actually find a buyer, too.

They'd just jumped on the bandwagon of charging an extra 100k sterling thinking the market dictated and verified their price. It didn't.

Just silly pricing being set for substandard properties.
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

Ok guys

I want a property

Not a condo that I can easily research and evaluate on a Sqm basis.

I want a villa.3 bed. 3 bath. 200 sqm No furniture except built in wardrobes and cupboards if applicable to your quote if you like.

Labour force ? Skilled trades ! Not with the ones with their screwdriver taped to their Lao Kao bottle so they don't lose the screwdriver !

What will you give me for 8500 Per Sqm ?

What will you give me for 24000 Per Sqm ?

Or any price in between.

Pictures please and reference to real life examples.

Crazy 88
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

crazy88 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:37 pm Ok guys

I want a property

Not a condo that I can easily research and evaluate on a Sqm basis.

I want a villa.3 bed. 3 bath. 200 sqm No furniture except built in wardrobes and cupboards if applicable to your quote if you like.

Labour force ? Skilled trades ! Not with the ones with their screwdriver taped to their Lao Kao bottle so they don't lose the screwdriver !

What will you give me for 8500 Per Sqm ?

What will you give me for 24000 Per Sqm ?

Or any price in between.

Pictures please and reference to real life examples.

Crazy 88
I may be mistaken but aren't you a property developer? Or a buyer and seller of houses. You are also an old hand in Thailand.

So I believe you can answer all your own questions.

Yes, it is hit and miss for builders. People have lost a chunk of a nest egg by using the wrong one. (Edit) Was just about to start lecturing on stuff here but crazy88 you know yourself.

People have been screwed for a lot more by the developers themselves rather than the builder. In 112 a group of retirees had to club together to finish their retirement homes as the (western) developer jumped with the money.

Get a bad builder, you might get screwed for a chunk (think 250-500k) doing corrections. Get a bad developer you might get screwed the cost of the house.

:cheers:
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

^ And when you say 'skilled tradesman' not mr. Lao Kao, I'm assuming you are employing people who have completed qualifications.

Or are we just talking 'experience'. Someone can have 10 years experience and be better than any fully qualified builder in the uk. Someone with the same, sometimes is not fit to build a tree house.
RomanR
Novice
Novice

Post by RomanR »

“People have been screwed for a lot more by the developers themselves rather than the builder. In 112 a group of retirees had to club together to finish their retirement homes as the (western) developer jumped with the money. “

Did you mean La Bua?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

There is a thread already for discussing La Bua viewtopic.php?t=37389

This thread is about Thailand has a whopping $40 billion in unsold homes.

:offtopic:
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20