Sugarland bar closed by Hua Hin police

Discussion on where to go when the sun goes down in Hua Hin; bars, pubs, clubs, karaoke and general nightlife.
T.O.M.
Banned
Banned

Re: Sugarland bar closed by Hua Hin police

Post by T.O.M. »

lomuamart wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:52 pm Although a bit of an aside, I've just returned from a quick visit to England.
It has been the case for a number of years that I can drive into any supermarket and buy some beers, a bottle of wine, a bottle of whisky at 8.30am. Or all of them. (Unless it's Sunday).
If I'm daft enough to try and drink all that on the way home then I deserve to be in trouble. And the law could quickly catch up with me.
It's just the option to shop when you choose or drink when you want.
There's nothing like returning happiness to the people.
So happiness for you equals the ability to buy alcohol around the clock.....Strange criteria.

At the same time you don't have a problem with not being able to buy on Sundays...because England is a good Christian nation. Lord have mercy...
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I guess he used alcohol as the example because it's so restricted here. Supermarkets in the UK are open 24/7 and apart from Sunday, there are no restrictions on what you can buy.

Using alcohol as an example underlines the point. It wouldn't come across if he'd used potatoes.

Benefit of the doubt!
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

T.O.M. wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:14 pmAt the same time you don't have a problem with not being able to buy on Sundays...because England is a good Christian nation. Lord have mercy...
You can buy alcohol on a Sunday in the UK, but from recollection, not before midday? Pubs open the same time on a Sunday as far as I am aware but can then stay open all day.

I thought you were a Brit? Lord have mercy on your soul for that! :D
Talk is cheap
Lost
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Lost »

caller wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:12 pm
T.O.M. wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:14 pmAt the same time you don't have a problem with not being able to buy on Sundays...because England is a good Christian nation. Lord have mercy...
You can buy alcohol on a Sunday in the UK, but from recollection, not before midday? Pubs open the same time on a Sunday as far as I am aware but can then stay open all day.

If you live in London, you can buy alcohol from shops at anytime. Sunday mornings included. The government allows the citizens to make their own grown up decisions in the Uk. In Thailand the government looks at its citizens like children who can't be trusted.
I don't trust children. They're here to replace us.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

T.O.M. wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:14 pm
lomuamart wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:52 pm Although a bit of an aside, I've just returned from a quick visit to England.
It has been the case for a number of years that I can drive into any supermarket and buy some beers, a bottle of wine, a bottle of whisky at 8.30am. Or all of them. (Unless it's Sunday).
If I'm daft enough to try and drink all that on the way home then I deserve to be in trouble. And the law could quickly catch up with me.
There's nothing like returning happiness to the people.
So happiness for you equals the ability to buy alcohol around the clock.....Strange criteria.

At the same time you don't have a problem with not being able to buy on Sundays...because England is a good Christian nation. Lord have mercy...
Who said happiness equated to drinking all the time? All I was trying to get across was that as a human being you should have the option to purchase when you choose.
If people need licensing laws to control their drinking, then up to them.
As far as Sundays are concerned, well religion should make you happy, shouldn't it?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

The bloody supermarkets aren't open until 10am on Sundays (a hangover from the religious people who'd have you never being alive) so getting smashed isn't an option until after that unless you've stocked up the night before.
Mind you, I've noticed that I've got to be sooo good between 2-5pm over here. What a joke.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Post by nanyang »

Lost wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:34 pm

If you live in London, you can buy alcohol from shops at anytime. Sunday mornings included. The government allows the citizens to make their own grown up decisions in the Uk. In Thailand the government looks at its citizens like children who can't be trusted.
Hard to disagree with your final sentence.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

StevePIraq wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:14 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:23 pm It comes down to the PM & the police want to control every aspect of people's lives. It's the Mao model for ruling. They think that they can legislate morality, thereby improving the lives of the citizens while retaining power and increasing their own wealth. It's sad that at this late juncture in history that kind of mentality still exists. It's the political equivalent of keep women barefoot and pregnant.
If you go by that principle then no laws would apply and you would have total chaos. Laws apply in every country and if not followed people are held accountable.
I think that you misunderstood what I said. Legislating morality is not the same as saying "no laws would apply." Controlling every aspect of people's lives is not the same as obeying laws. I'm not anti- law, I'm against government control over every aspect of people's lives. If you think that's a good thing then we have nothing more to talk about.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

handdrummer wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:23 pm It comes down to the PM & the police want to control every aspect of people's lives. It's the Mao model for ruling. They think that they can legislate morality, thereby improving the lives of the citizens while retaining power and increasing their own wealth. It's sad that at this late juncture in history that kind of mentality still exists. It's the political equivalent of keep women barefoot and pregnant.
If you go by that principle then no laws would apply and you would have total chaos. Laws apply in every country and if not followed people are held accountable.
And by your principle, Steve, all laws must be obeyed, regardless. You'd have done very well in Nazi Germany.
This is the way
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

In Thailand the government looks at its citizens like children who can't be trusted.
Well at least the government got that right!!
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:04 am
And by your principle, Steve, all laws must be obeyed, regardless. You'd have done very well in Nazi Germany.
Your so funny, I always laugh at your remarks
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali