Maintaining 800,000 baht in a Thai bank

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
nil
Professional
Professional

Re: Maintaining 800,000 baht in a Thai bank

Post by nil »

Geko wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:13 pm What about the latest requirement, they now need proof of where the money in your Thai bank account has come from.
I had issue last time I applied for a visa, asked at bank for letter proving where the money had come from but only got something saying that the money had been in for more than 3 months.
When you first apply for the visa they want confirmation that the money has been transferred from abroad. I had to go back to my bank to get an additional printout showing where the money had come from. For renewals all they need to see is the total amount.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

Groodman wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:36 pm I do not know if the Thai Banks would do this or if Thai Immigration would find it acceptable (if they were to find out). I need advice from someone with knowledge of Thai Banking.

Borrow Baht 800000 from bank, bank to freeze money so withdrawal cannot be made ( Banks money is safe)
Eight years ago when I was learning what was needed for a non-imm 'O' visa, consensus was the 2-3 month 'seasoning' of the 800k was to stop people from 'proving' their financial status with a loan of a few days. Obviously that was after Immigration realized such loans were happening. Then Immigration added an unofficial requirement. The 800k needs to be in the account used for your living expenses. An account that shows withdrawals. As one poster put it: It's the account you're living on so it had better look lived in.

That said, I've read some have 2 accounts. One is for living expenses. The other started at 800k and just sits there, year after year, earning interest.
pitsch
Guru
Guru

Post by pitsch »

I got my Non-O visa when I was in Thailand already and then immigration wanted a bank statement where the 800 000 Baht came from. But you don't need it for the yearly extension of the visa,