Pre paid SIM cards in the UK?

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Pre paid SIM cards in the UK?

Post by oakdale160 »

I am going to the UK, arriving at Manchester Airport. Can you by prepaid SIM cards on Arrival?
pharvey

Re: Pre paid SIM cards in the UK?

Post by pharvey »

oakdale160 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:01 am I am going to the UK, arriving at Manchester Airport. Can you by prepaid SIM cards on Arrival?
Very easy at the airports - normally have a "Vending Machine" for UK/Europe SIM Cards (Top-up via Internet). In all honesty, I would recommend going to the likes of Tesco and buy one at the till (although, I'm not sure if you need a UK address with these).

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I need a card to infirm my hosts that I have arrived so need to get one at Airport--I understand that there are 4 companies in the UK that sell prepaid cards--Anyone better than the others??
Henry 14th
Guru
Guru

Post by Henry 14th »

I recently used GifGaf. Ordered the SIM online, it was delivered to my Thai address.

You activate it online via the GifGaf website by choosing and paying for a package. £25 gave me unlimited calls, SMS and data for 3 weeks.

Put yr SIM in the phone and when you land you can make/receive calls.

Brilliant service that allows you to be prepared without messing around with the other airport options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Henry 14th wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:49 am I recently used GifGaf. Ordered the SIM online, it was delivered to my Thai address.

You activate it online via the GifGaf website by choosing and paying for a package. £25 gave me unlimited calls, SMS and data for 3 weeks.

Put yr SIM in the phone and when you land you can make/receive calls.

Brilliant service that allows you to be prepared without messing around with the other airport options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I also used GiffGaf to purchase a SIM although had it delivered to a UK address, but if they will deliver to Thailand then I would also recommend them, they have a range of flexible options to suit whatever your needs are. https://www.giffgaff.com
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I leave on Sunday so that is not an option--Do they sell this card at airports??
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

oakdale160 wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:06 am I leave on Sunday so that is not an option--Do they sell this card at airports??
No, you have to register online and they post it to you.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Another related question. If, before I change SIM cards I import the contact numbers from the original SIM to phone and then insert another Sim card and enter then new numbers will these new numbers go to the Sim card or to the phone or both??
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:34 am Another related question. If, before I change SIM cards I import the contact numbers from the original SIM to phone and then insert another Sim card and enter then new numbers will these new numbers go to the Sim card or to the phone or both??
I think it depends on your phone, some give you the option of saving to phone or SIM.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I read that there are only 4 companies. GiffGaff piggybacks into the O2 network that provides the technical service--I dont know whether this makes any difference. I tend to judge companies by the quality of Customer service if you have a problem.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

oakdale160 wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:49 pm I read that there are only 4 companies. GiffGaff piggybacks into the O2 network that provides the technical service--I dont know whether this makes any difference. I tend to judge companies by the quality of Customer service if you have a problem.
There are possibly fewer than four physical networks now, following some recent M&A activity but many providers of services that use those networks. Service is a broad term for this area as they cover activities from hardware sales, data provision, voice services, domestic—fixed line—services and more besides. I’ve heard good things about EE, use Vodafone for my business mobile, can’t stand ‘3’ and am currently very happy with PlusNet and their call centre is UK-based and very responsive.

I’m not sure how long you’re in the UK for and what kind of problems you are anticipating but on the basis you are shopping around, you pays your money and takes your chance.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
buksida

Post by buksida »

EE coverage is very patchy - especially their 4G which is not nationwide despite what Kevin Bacon claims!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

buksida wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:07 am EE coverage is very patchy - especially their 4G which is not nationwide despite what Kevin Bacon claims!
Vodafone is not much better, I can't use it in my Mothers house just outside of Nottingham which is pretty useless considering I can get a signal just about anywhere I go in Thailand!
albaker

Post by albaker »

pharvey wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:46 am
oakdale160 wrote: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:01 am I am going to the UK, arriving at Manchester Airport. Can you by prepaid SIM cards on Arrival?
Very easy at the airports - normally have a "Vending Machine" for UK/Europe SIM Cards (Top-up via Internet). In all honesty, I would recommend going to the likes of Tesco and buy one at the till (although, I'm not sure if you need a UK address with these).

:cheers: :cheers:
No identification needed , just pay , usually £10 , and away you go .
I travel throughout England and find that O2 has the best coverage , plenty of hotspots to connect to internet as has BT .
Enjoy your stay