Hundreds of foreigners/teachers arrested in nationwide operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Re: Hundreds of foreigners/teachers arrested in nationwide operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner

Post by laphanphon »

Excellent .... :cheers:

Wish my home country protected it's workers as well.

Hope those that complain about the crackdowns....simple enforcement of local laws, aren't also complaining about no jobs in home country because of illegal immigrants .... :tsk:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Hundreds of foreigners/teachers arrested in nationwide operation X-Ray Outlaw Foreigner

Post by StevePIraq »

Exactly, if you are illegal go directly to jail.

Recently an American I know was deported, he had no right to complain, living and working casually here for years with no visa etc. I also know of many foreigners who work here illegally, most doing on line work, property rentals and the likes. They are breaking the law and should be dealt with.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I wonder where the 'stateless' amongst those rounded up will be deported to?
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I was wondering about that.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Leicester City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 48; Position 18
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I remember talking to a US Consulate official in Cambodia. Cam has a population of derelict, drug-crazed foreigners, mostly US. The Cam govt wants to get rid of them but of course, they have no $ for airfares and the US govt is not crazy about paying for these never-do-wells to come back to the US. They had made a deal that one US airliner would take 2 a week for free, but that didn't scratch the surface.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:12 pm I also know of many foreigners who work here illegally, most doing on line work...
Could you expand on this? Who is paying them, and in which country? If you write articles for a European, American, etc. magazine, and get paid for it, are you a criminal who should be locked up and deported? If you are a tax expert, a translator or a consultant in a number of other fields working for people outside of Thailand, paying you in a foreign currency into a bank outside of Thailand, are you a criminal who should be locked up and deported?

I agree that teachers working without a work permit should be deported, or at least told to leave, as should people unlawfully running a business in Thailand, and I'm sure there are other areas where I'd agree with you, but on this I have my doubts and am surprised you appear to be so deeply concerned.
This is the way
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:07 am are you a criminal who should be locked up and deported?
YES

If you don't have a work permit, it's illegal to work in Thailand....period. Working, earning money, compensation here, need work permit. It's the law.

No different than a teacher, that you'd be happy to have deported.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

So if I'm a novelist writing a book, I'm breaking the law? How wonderful it must be to see things so clearly in black and white.
This is the way
buksida

Post by buksida »

Gotta love these tirades by the do-gooders who think life is so black and white.

I am in no way complaining about things, it just seems so ridiculous because Thailand has far bigger problems. Shocking road deaths, drug center of Indochina - domestic abuse - gun crime - rapes, murders aplenty - but no, they're pouring resources into incarcerating a handful of rogue teachers (trying to teach THEIR people), and some poor downtrodden Burmese immigrants trying to earn an extra buck because life is so grim where they come from.

Burn them at the stake!

While on the topic of immigration crackdowns I wonder how many think they should include those farang retirees that illegally dodge the rules by borrowing show money to get their visas extended. :duck:

Keelhaul them!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I think that's already been tackled. Two senior immigration officers moved to 'inactive posts' for being party to 'show money' bank statements.

Personally, I don't have a problem with this type of 'corruption'. After all, even if the foreigner falls below the statutory 'money in the bank', he/she is obviously coping with the money they have. Their money earned abroad is still being spent in Thailand. If they are living on money earned illegally in Thailand, then that's another matter.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:53 am So if I'm a novelist writing a book, I'm breaking the law? How wonderful it must be to see things so clearly in black and white.
That's a good one .. :thumb:

If living here, and submitting, drawing profits from, then a definite yes.

Technically, maybe........really grey area, if not living, submitting, paid while here. Really, who would know or care.

I stated 'yes', because you asked. Do I care, not really, as long as you qualify legally for the visa applied for, and NOT, taking a job from a local, then have at it.

The purpose of the law. :cheers:
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

buksida wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:28 amWhile on the topic of immigration crackdowns I wonder how many think they should include those farang retirees that the rules by borrowing show money to get their visas extended. :duck:

Keelhaul them!
Personally, if you're that skint, that you can't qualify for marriage or retirement visa, then you probably shouldn't be here......so for me, yes, deport them, and enforce the rule, that those that play by, do follow, can enjoy life without more rules.

My reasoning is, if skint, probably no insurance, or oops / emergency fund, and then stick the hospital with bills they can't pay, whether healed or died. Which reflects on the good people who are legal and follow the rules.

It's a matter of time, before insurance becomes mandatory, and what about those that don't want (myself), or worse, can't be covered (maybe in the future, already past most age policies).

They should suffer financially with unwanted added expenses and or have to leave, because the don't buy into corruption .... :tsk:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

dtaai-maai wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:07 am
StevePIraq wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:12 pm I also know of many foreigners who work here illegally, most doing on line work...
Could you expand on this? Who is paying them, and in which country? If you write articles for a European, American, etc. magazine, and get paid for it, are you a criminal who should be locked up and deported? If you are a tax expert, a translator or a consultant in a number of other fields working for people outside of Thailand, paying you in a foreign currency into a bank outside of Thailand, are you a criminal who should be locked up and deported?

I agree that teachers working without a work permit should be deported, or at least told to leave, as should people unlawfully running a business in Thailand, and I'm sure there are other areas where I'd agree with you, but on this I have my doubts and am surprised you appear to be so deeply concerned.
The people I referred to are in Hua Hin and Pattaya, predominantly renting/selling properties, car rental, software development, and one author.

If you work in Thailand without a work permit you are breaking the law and should face the consequences. I don't know your nationality but i am sure you would not want people working illegally in your own country.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Hahuahin
Guru
Guru

Post by Hahuahin »

buksida wrote: Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:28 am Gotta love these tirades by the do-gooders who think life is so black and white.

I am in no way complaining about things, it just seems so ridiculous because Thailand has far bigger problems. Shocking road deaths, drug center of Indochina - domestic abuse - gun crime - rapes, murders aplenty - but no, they're pouring resources into incarcerating a handful of rogue teachers (trying to teach THEIR people), and some poor downtrodden Burmese immigrants trying to earn an extra buck because life is so grim where they come from.

Burn them at the stake!

While on the topic of immigration crackdowns I wonder how many think they should include those farang retirees that illegally dodge the rules by borrowing show money to get their visas extended. :duck:

Keelhaul them!
In the rest of the world its called Nationalistic propaganda :wink:
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

there is nothing illegal with borrowing money for your visa, the requirement is you have the funds in your bank account, there is no statement on where the money comes from