Dusit Zoo to close at the end August

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Dusit Zoo to close at the end August

Post by Nereus »

Dusit Zoo to close for good at the end of this month

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... this-month

The end is nigh for Bangkok's famous Dusit Zoo, which will close its gates for good at the end of this month and begin the slow move to its new home in Pathum Thani.

Dusit Zoo posted the news on its Facebook account on Wednesday, announcing that Aug 31 will be the last day visitors will have to see the animals and enjoy the tranquil park atmosphere of the zoo at its current location, opposite the parliament building and near the royal palace.

The zoo will be moved to its new 3,000 rai home in Thanyaburi district of Pathum Thani, which is three-times the size of the present zoo. The land was gifted to the zoo by His Majesty the King. "The animals will have a better quality of life" in such a spacious new home, the zoological society announcement said.

The construction of a new zoo has not yet begun. A consultant has been hired to survey the site and ensure the new zoological garden will be up to international standard, the zoo added.

All the animals will be temporarily moved to any of six other zoos -- Khao Kheow in Chonburi, Chiang Mai, Nakhon Ratchasima, Songkhla, Ubon Ratchathani and Khon Kaen -- also operated by the Zoological Park Organisation.

For animal lovers worried about the animals' temporary homes, Dusit Zoo gave an assurance they would be well taken care of by their expert handlers.

Dusit Zoo will host an event to celebrate the 86th birthday of Her Majesty Queen Sirikit from Saturday to Monday, one of its last major activities before it becomes history.

Planned activities include exhibitions, a walking rally, a forum to increase animal awareness and , highlight, the first appearance of the smallest hornbills in Thailand.

Dusit Zoo, also known as Khao Din Wanna, opened in 1938. It currently houses about 1,000 animals, big and small.
Details of the zoo's closure and relocation of the animals will be announced next Tuesday.
2874814.jpg
2874814.jpg (222.43 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
c1_1518054_620x413.jpg
c1_1518054_620x413.jpg (51.05 KiB) Viewed 1052 times
......................................................................................................................
Should be a good thing, but in typical ass about fashion the new place will not be ready for years!
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Dusit Zoo to close at the end August

Post by handdrummer »

Again: Thailand; the land of everything backwards.
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

I know there were issues with this zoo, but I have spent a lot of time there and enjoyed it. I am sorry I won't get to see it again. It was close enough to the city center and cheap enough to get in that you could just pop in a for an hour or two in the afternoon to escape the heat and biz for a while. I somehow doubt that will be the case with the new zoo. One chimp family I have kind of followed them over the years, from dad was a kid to puberty to getting his "wife" to their first and then subsequent kids. He was, and no doubt still is, a character.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

If it takes as long to build a new Zoo as it is taking for the high speed rail system, I doubt that even my grandkids will live long enough to see it.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
Animal welfare key to Dusit Zoo move

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... t-zoo-move

At the end of this month, Bangkokians will bid farewell to Dusit Zoo, as the final curtain falls for the site, treasured by many not just as a recreational edutainment place, but also as a vast green space in the heart of the capital.

Netizens over the past few weeks have been sharing fond memories of the site that has served visitors for more than six decades. The zoo is moving to a new 300-rai home in Klong 6, Pathum Thani's Thanyaburi district, which is three times the size of the present zoo. The land was given to the government by His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn Bodindradebayavarangkun.

Construction of the zoo is expected to begin next year or even later, and the opening is planned in the next three years.

The Aug 31 closure, which zoo authorities have insisted is part of their original work plan, implies there is no rush in the move, and will be followed by the animals' relocation.

There are more than 1,000 animals at the zoo. They will be sent to temporary shelters in state-run zoos in six provinces: Chon Buri in the Central region, Chiang Mai in the North, Khon Kaen and Ubon Ratchathani in the Northeast, and Songkhla in the South.

Zoo authorities have pledged to carry out the relocation with extreme care and they have previously promised the new site will be constructed under a "green zoo" concept as designs are to be based on each animal's natural habitat. With a vast area, the agency will be able to provide more space for animals in its care. It's likely the first batch of animals will be removed in three months.

But it remains unclear if it is a good idea to remove all the animals at this time of the year given the ongoing wet weather and, in particular, the possible threat of flooding in some provinces, especially the South.

Apart from that, animal relocation is a complicated task as those removed from their long-time home are subject to stress that weakens them with the possibility that some may not survive. Public curiosity is unavoidable since the zoo authorities have not shared with the public how they have prepared each relocation site to make it ready for the animals.

In fact, Thailand could take some lessons from Kenya. Last month the African nation suffered a big loss after 11 endangered black rhinos died in quick succession following their relocation carried out by the Kenya Wildlife Service. Under the relocation plan, which received financial support from the Kenyan branch of the World Wildlife Fund, 14 rhinos were to be moved from Nairobi National Park in the outskirts of the capital city and Lake Nakuru National Park to a new sanctuary in Tsavo East National Park to start a new population in the area.

The 11 deaths caused shock waves in conservation circles worldwide. According to media reports, the 11 dead rhinos were the first batch of an animal relocation effort that was completed in June. Of the total, 10 deaths were linked to dehydration as water at the new site was too salty for them, while the last rhino was unfortunately killed by a lion.

Experts say rhinos in healthy condition can normally defend themselves from lion attacks, but in this case the poor animal must have been too weak due to unfavourable conditions at the new site. It's understood that the usual 11 deaths prompted a suspension in the relocation effort as investigations get under way to find what went wrong in the process even though it was handled by top experts and veterinarians.

Back to Thailand, while the 300-rai size of the new site in Pathum Thani, compares favourably to the 118-rai size of the present site, questions still remain about the relocation process.

Apart from the unfavourable weather, moving the animals now means there will be two relocations in the process which means more risk of possible loss.

The number of animals is another area of concern. Does the zoo agency have enough manpower and equipment for such a demanding task?

More importantly, there is one pointed issue: what will become of the Dusit site when the zoo is closed? Those involved should be aware of its legacy, especially the fact that Dusit Zoo is part of Bangkok history. It was opened during in the reign of King Chulalongkorn for the use of members of the royal family and court officials initially as a botanical garden.

It was in the late 1930s that the public gained access to the site when the Pibulsonggram government obtained permission from King Ananda to make use of the area as a zoo. It was King Ananda who bestowed the name Dusit Zoo, as well as gifting a few star deer that the palace had received from Java, plus some other species.

Due to its prime location, it is a major recreational site for the public, especially those with low incomes. It also serves as a key green area, or "lung" of the city. It is hoped that such a legacy will remain even after the zoo is gone.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dusit Zoo should become a park

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... ome-a-park

Published: 10/12/2017 at 04:20 AM
Newspaper section: News

With a new land plot given to the Zoological Park Organisation by the palace, the country will soon welcome a new bigger zoo. The land, which was among nine plots bestowed to the government by His Majesty King Maha Vajiralongkorn last month, is located in the Klong 6 area of Pathum Thani's Thanyaburi district.

The relocation of Dusit Zoo from Dusit has been the subject of speculation for years in view of how overcrowded the zoo has become. Expansion of the site is not possible because the zoo is flanked by Chitralada Villa on its eastern side and the parliament building on its western side.

The newly designated given to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment is deemed more appropriate given that it stretches over 300 rai -- almost three times bigger than the 118-rai original zoo that has served the public for more than 60 years.

Suriya Saengpong, deputy director-general of the Zoological Park Organisation, told the media that if a zoo is to be constructed, it must be done using a "green zoo" concept. His vision deserves everybody's support.

In relocating the zoo, the agency pledged to attach importance to animal welfare and ensure that enclosure designs are based on each animal's natural habitat, avoiding buildings that don't look natural. More space would also be provided for animals.

The construction of the new zoo is expected to begin around 2019 or later.

There are a few concerns about the new site. One is about the distance visitors may have to travel. The old location, which is in the heart of the city, is convenient for people, especially those on low incomes, to visit. Affordable fees have made the place an all-time popular edutainment place since it was opened in 1938 as the first zoo in Thailand.

In developing the new zoo, the agency should look beyond a construction plan. It should also give consideration to how to make the new place accessible to all regarding entrance fees and transport. Special fees must be arranged for schoolchildren when the zoo is launched.

For transport, it must coordinate with the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority and related agencies to make sure that it will be easy and efficient. For example, a shuttle bus service, connected to key rail transport points, should be arranged at weekends when the zoo is likely to be busy.

One key question remains about the future of the old Dusit Zoo after the relocation is completed. The Zoological Park Organisation dismissed the speculation about the old zoo's closure, saying that its board is to discuss the matter on Tuesday when a clear decision will be made.

But the agency should be aware that any decision on the future of the zoo should be based on the history of the place.
Back in the reign of King Rama V, the monarch used the site, which is a stone's throw from Dusit Palace, as a royal botanical garden. It was said the king got the garden idea from his trips to Western countries. The garden was then known as Khao Din Vana because the landscape featured an artificial hill.

When the government of Field Marshal Plaek Phibulsonggram wanted to establish a zoo in the city, it asked for permission from King Rama VIII to use the area for that purpose. The king subsequently agreed and bestowed the name Dusit Zoo after the name of Dusit Palace, together with a few star deer that the palace had received from Java and raised in the grounds, plus some other species.

The zoo is adorned with variety of mature plants, a huge pond and a pleasant landscape. For historical reasons, the zoo agency and the government should consider returning Dusit Zoo to its original use as a botanical garden or a park for public use.

It is beyond question that bustling Bangkok needs more green areas. The city's green space per head, at 1:6.2 square metres, is low compared to advanced countries. It lags behind the capitals of some Asean neighbours like Kuala Lumpur or Jakarta in term of greenness.

This is not to mention that the figures, which are based on the official population of 5.6 million, are unrealistic. It is known that the capital's real population is more than double the official statistics because Bangkok as an economic and trade centre has a large hidden population. It has accommodated people who migrate from the provinces to work.

Acquiring vast land for a park is difficult. The advantage of turning the old zoo into a park is that it will save state budget. The old zoo is ideal for creating a park as it is in prime area and close to many centres of population.
Most importantly, if the government redevelops the old zoo as a park, it will give city people a chance to reconnect to the nation's glorious past.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Good Riddance ... as that was the most disgusting zoo I've ever seen. Though limited to my zoo exposure, Philly and San Diego.

Sad part is, they are building another. Wild animals belong in the wild.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Totally agree, good riddance! I went there in 1991 and was so disgusted I never went back, though I think they did make some improvements since then. I wonder how many of the animals being moved out now will still be alive to move into the new zoo in 3 years' time.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

What are the odds that the old zoo area will be sold to a developer to put up more ugly concrete high rises?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Pretty sure that area needs a new mall.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

hhinner wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:45 pm ^^ Totally agree, good riddance! I went there in 1991 and was so disgusted I never went back, though I think they did make some improvements since then. I wonder how many of the animals being moved out now will still be alive to move into the new zoo in 3 years' time.
Over a decade later, think we went there 2002 or 3, and if that was an upgrade......Holy Buddha..... 8)
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

why didn't they build the new zoo THEN shut the old one?

I know....

T.I.T :laugh:
MDMK
Ace
Ace

Post by MDMK »

handdrummer wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:39 pm What are the odds that the old zoo area will be sold to a developer to put up more ugly concrete high rises?
I fear you're right, but so hope you're wrong.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

MDMK wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:28 pm
handdrummer wrote: Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:39 pm What are the odds that the old zoo area will be sold to a developer to put up more ugly concrete high rises?
I fear you're right, but so hope you're wrong.
Me too but I don't hold out much hope for Thailand. Maybe if todays 20 yr. olds mature without corruption and go into politics things may change. My 23 yr. old daughter and her friends are smart, intelligent and aware but abhor politics, that could change over time. Right now they talk amongst themselves but won't speak publicly. Probably a good idea.
joelle
Legend
Legend

Post by joelle »

all zoos should be shut down, why do humans have to cage animals, why can't they be left in their natural habitat is beyond me
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

joelle wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:11 am all zoos should be shut down, why do humans have to cage animals, why can't they be left in their natural habitat is beyond me
There are a lot of zoos that I’m sure are not fit for purpose, but there are some that provide an “acceptable” living environment. The problem with leaving animals in the wild is that humans can’t be trusted to let them be - either through human encroachment, or as we see with so many endangered species - poaching to extinction. It’s very sad but the animals are not to blame.