New adverts

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

New adverts

Post by handdrummer »

Why am I seeing advertisement banners, from various companies, mixed in with posts? Are you going the way of facebook and news media? One of the reasons I left facebook 2 yrs. ago was because of all the advertising mixed in with the posts and I can leave the forum too. Maybe that doesn't matter to you but if enough people feel the same way it will matter.
T.I.G.R.
Guru
Guru

Re: New adverts

Post by T.I.G.R. »

You might want to leave anyway after you see the post I just saw advertising for ladyboy hotels or something......a bit too disgusting for me.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

The adverts have been there for quite a few years. Maybe you've been inadvertently blocking them without realising it. These adverts actually go a long way towards funding this forum.

I must admit, they don't always appear on my screen. When I opened this post, there were adverts, now there are none. They should be there, and there's often some interesting stuff there if you click the odd one.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

As said above the ads are from Google's Adsense, a standard web advertising platform found on most websites - they have been on this forum for years.

Without them and the meager revenue they generate this forum would be closed down. There are significant costs associated with running a website of this size, the advertising pays for that and without it we would no longer be operating. If you want to keep using this forum and have it remain free and online please be supportive and click one now and then.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Lev wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:55 am As said above the ads are from Google's Adsense, a standard web advertising platform found on most websites - they have been on this forum for years.

Without them and the meager revenue they generate this forum would be closed down. There are significant costs associated with running a website of this size, the advertising pays for that and without it we would no longer be operating. If you want to keep using this forum and have it remain online please be supportive and click one now and then.
I’ve just followed your advice Lev and opened the advert for cosmetic surgery - very informative :naughty:
Last edited by Dannie Boy on Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Lev,

I'm not mistaken, the forum gets paid everytime someone clicks on an advert. You do not need to buy anything, just click.
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Correct, the ads generate a couple of satang every time one is clicked. Unfortunately monthly revenue from them is less than a third of what it was five years ago and barely covers our server fees.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I just realise that I don't see these ads because in my browser I run Adblocker Ultimate. I've disabled it now for this site as I agree that it needs to be be supported by users.

On other web pages I have seen a notice that the site has detected an adblocker running on the user's computer, and requesting that the user disable it for that particular website as they need ad revenue to run. Can your forum software do something like this? It might do a little to increase your revenue.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

T.I.G.R. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:24 pm You might want to leave anyway after you see the post I just saw advertising for ladyboy hotels or something......a bit too disgusting for me.
You were in Night Crawlers, TIGR. You've known about that part of the forum for years surely.

"Night Crawlers
HIDDEN FORUM where discussion on topics of a more adult nature are permitted....."

Best approach is just not to visit there if it's offensive to anyone. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 pm
T.I.G.R. wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:24 pm You might want to leave anyway after you see the post I just saw advertising for ladyboy hotels or something......a bit too disgusting for me.
You were in Night Crawlers, TIGR. You've known about that part of the forum for years surely.

"Night Crawlers
HIDDEN FORUM where discussion on topics of a more adult nature are permitted....."

Best approach is just not to visit there if it's offensive to anyone. Pete :cheers:
Just an aside: I believe TIGR meant to complain about a post 'asking for information about' a hotel where ladyboys hang out, it was not 'an advertisement' for one, ads are not allowed unless by agreement with HH Forum, and I don't think one like that would pass muster! :D

Anyway, as you say the forum content is clearly stated, it's hard to just 'stumble on' it?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I have an ad blocker as well. I have just switched it off for this site.
Talk is cheap
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:57 pm I have an ad blocker as well. I have just switched it off for this site.
So now we just have to remember to get clicking on the ads! :)
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Already started!
Talk is cheap
buksida

Post by buksida »

Don't go overboard! Google can and will block ad serving if it 'thinks' they're being clicked unnaturally.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I'm not, even with the filter off, I'm not seeing much in the way of ads.
Talk is cheap