2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.

Who do you think will be 2018 World Champions? (limited to 23 top ranks + Hosts)

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:23 am

Germany
33%
Brazil
25%
Belgium
No votes
Portugal
No votes
Argentina
8%
Switzerland
No votes
France
8%
Poland
No votes
Spain
8%
Peru
No votes
Denmark
No votes
England
8%
Uruguay
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Mexico
No votes
Columbia
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Sweden
No votes
Senegal
No votes
Serbia
No votes
Australia
No votes
Iran
No votes
Russia
8%
Other (please name in thread)
No votes

Total votes: 12

PeteC

Re: 2018 Football World Cup News and Prediction Tournament

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:21 pm Going back to the prediction league, have you seen the huge list of people who incredibly got the score spot on?
Where? Under "Community Stats" no one picked that score.....?
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:14 pm Spain has no coach. Will they rally, or will they dissolve? Will be interesting to watch. Pete :cheers:
They have a new coach for the tournament, Fernando Hierro, who won 89 caps for Spain and was Director of Football. I don't think the change will be a big problem for them, as there will be continuity.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

PeteC wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:31 pm
Big Boy wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:21 pm Going back to the prediction league, have you seen the huge list of people who incredibly got the score spot on?
Where? Under "Community Stats" no one picked that score.....?
Can't find it now, but the page I was looking at listed the first 50, and there were more pages.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

This shows 51 of the 5 Nillers (0.1%) https://www.superbru.com/worldcup_predi ... eaderboard

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Yes, now I see it. Really amazing, and from many different countries as well. It may have been an "I don't know or care..." pick, and what a surprise they got! :laugh: Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
arcadianagain
Ace
Ace

Post by arcadianagain »

Here I am in Tunisia waiting for Monday`s match I`ve got my St George`s flag ready to wave at all the Tunisians. Let`s hope I`m not disappointed. Having seen a few Tunisian league matches don`t be surprised at theatrical diving and surrounding the referee if decisions go against them, not just the players but all the subs, physios and management.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

So Germany, Spain, Argentina and Brazil--4 of the countries tipped to win the WC, all failed to win their first game --Going to be interesting.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Surprised that I’m the first to comment about England’s win last night - not the greatest game but England were deserved winners on the balance of play and could have had a few more, including two legitimate penalties had the VAR guys been more honest, especially bearing in mind the one they gave Tunisia.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HaHa, the rest of us have been re-adjusting our sleep patterns.

Did you really expect the video ref to assist England? Football is corrupt, else we'd have been watching the match from England. It was if Tunisia knew grappling Kane to the ground at corners wouldn't be noticed, and it was part of their match strategy.

I still think Kane is a terrible footballer, but nobody can deny his eye for goal. I had to smile when the commentator compared him to Ronaldo - chalk and cheese. However, if Kane can grab a couple of goals in each match, they must surely be in contention.

The defence looked very shaky at times. I'm not sure what Southgate can do to sort that. Cahill, maybe? What have Man City done to Kyle Walker, he used to be such an exciting player quite boring yesterday.

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Well in my naivety, yes I do expect the VAR refs to be impartial, but maybe they are paid by Putin?

As for Kane, you are correct in that there is no comparison between his game and Ronaldo’s, although to give him credit, he seems to have a knack for scoring goals, something painfully in short supply elsewhere!!

As for Walker, he was in good company with his Man City colleagues - Sterling had a below par game (again) and Stones was just “ok”. Alli had quite a reasonable first half but was nowhere to be seen in the second half - carrying a knock, Southgate should have pulled him off at halftime. Lingard was ok in fits and starts, but assuming we do progress beyond the first round, the likelihood is that our weaknesses will once again be exposed by some of the “supposed” better teams - although most of them have started poorly!!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Anything driven by FIFA has to have an element of corruption. I do not expect any assistance from the video ref.

Between them, Lingard and Sterling should have scored a bucket full. At least England were creating the chances.

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I thought we played really well, okay it dried up a bit in the 2nd half, but we were by far the better side, as we should have been.

I have no idea why Walker had to raise his hands to concede the penalty, by his own admission, he should have just headed it away.

But we have to take chances at this level, as whilst we might be okay in the next game, it will tougher against Belgium.

If I was Southgate, I would replace Young with Rose as he has more pace, which will be important against the better teams and he is naturally left footed. I thought quite a bit of momentum was lost as Young continually cut inside to move the ball onto his right foot. Playing further forward, he used to be quite dangerous doing that, but not so much now.

Otherwise I would leave the team as it is for the next game, to see if the likes of Sterling and Lingard can raise their game and get a bit of confidence.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:11 pm I thought we played really well, okay it dried up a bit in the 2nd half, but we were by far the better side, as we should have been.

I have no idea why Walker had to raise his hands to concede the penalty, by his own admission, he should have just headed it away.

But we have to take chances at this level, as whilst we might be okay in the next game, it will tougher against Belgium.

If I was Southgate, I would replace Young with Rose as he has more pace, which will be important against the better teams and he is naturally left footed. I thought quite a bit of momentum was lost as Young continually cut inside to move the ball onto his right foot. Playing further forward, he used to be quite dangerous doing that, but not so much now.

Otherwise I would leave the team as it is for the next game, to see if the likes of Sterling and Lingard can raise their game and get a bit of confidence.
I’d certainly agree with you about swapping Rose for Young, but I’d also like to see Rashford start instead of Sterling who just doesn’t seem to be able to reproduce his EPL performance in an England shirt - if Southgate gives him one more chance, he will need to turn in a standout performance to avoid being dropped against Belgium.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I look at the poll up there and my gut is telling me it's going to be some dark horse, maybe a team not even on the poll. :shock: :D Pete :cheers:
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

PeteC wrote: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:53 pm maybe a team not even on the poll. :shock: :D Pete :cheers:
...... Cymru? :wink:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.