Legal fees and lawyer

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Legal fees and lawyer

Post by thecolonel »

I'm a UK guy in Hua Hin. I'm looking for a guideline price on legal fees on purchase condo about 2million baht? Plus any recommendations preferably in Hua hin City area not suburbs. Speak good English etc thanks in advance

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

buksida

Re: Legal fees and lawyer

Post by buksida »

Try the forum sponsors, they can do everything you require: http://www.huahinmedia.com/chavalitfinch.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Chavalit are very good :)
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Thanks for replies I'm sure Chavalit are v good but was looking to compare prices ie get other quotes. Also 49000 baht(their quote) to buy a studio in a building is 3 to 4 times what you would pay a lawyer to buy a detached house in UK. Normally people's time is a LOT cheaper in Thailand than UK so that kind of didn't stack up?? Any thoughts anyone?

Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

thecolonel wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:56 pm Thanks for replies I'm sure Chavalit are v good but was looking to compare prices ie get other quotes. Also 49000 baht(their quote) to buy a studio in a building is 3 to 4 times what you would pay a lawyer to buy a detached house in UK. Normally people's time is a LOT cheaper in Thailand than UK so that kind of didn't stack up?? Any thoughts anyone?

49,000 Baht is about £1,140 so taking a mean of 3.1/2 times cheaper would be about £325 - that seems very cheap to me?
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

I assure you that that's what I can pay to buy a brand new detached house in Cheshire UK. And from a couple of lawyers too not just one. Anyway, appreciate feedback from others on what they paid for legals on a condo in Hua Hin or similar area, thanks

dundrillin
Guru
Guru

Post by dundrillin »

Buying property in Thailand may not be as straightforward as buying in the U.K. I have used Chavalit on several occasions and the last time their due diligence saved me from making a very expensive mistake. Cost is only one part of the equation. Having said that I hear that the lawyer beside Makro is also very good.
thecolonel
Legend
Legend

Post by thecolonel »

Yes good point and I'm not suggesting I will pick the cheapest lawyer. Just that my first impressions are that it seems expensive for the reasons mentioned but as I say I'm looking for other quotes(comparables) to compare.

For all I know legal fees in Thailand may be MORE expensive than UK(but that would seem odd) but im sure plenty of people on here could comment on that scenario.

Will try to find Makro name thanks

Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

My wife is a Thai attorney who is fluent in English. She charges between 10 and 15K baht to do a condo purchase. Her practice is in Korat, but we have a condo in Cha Am and spend a week a month there. She has many clients in the area.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

It’s worth looking at the cost breakdown for Chavalit as they may have included any number of the one-off payments to the Land Office and others that are required when buying a house.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
duan

Post by duan »

Ratsima
Does your wife do wills for a farangs thai assets only?
If so how much does she charge?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Ratsima, please continue this conversation offline.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Ratsima
Ace
Ace

Post by Ratsima »

Look, I'm not trying to drum up business for my wife. She's too busy as it is and, IMHO, works too much. Someone asked how much it costs to do a condo purchase so I asked my wife how much she charges and posted the answer here. It's that simple.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Do you really need a lawyer in the first place if you are paying cash?

When we purchased our land, I went and drew out the money, and then we went to the land office with the seller. Once everything was done and signed, we handed over the money and went home with everything we needed, no lawyers required.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Takiap wrote: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:28 am Do you really need a lawyer in the first place if you are paying cash?

When we purchased our land, I went and drew out the money, and then we went to the land office with the seller. Once everything was done and signed, we handed over the money and went home with everything we needed, no lawyers required.

:cheers:
I think that buying land is a lot more straightforward, but the OP is talking about buying a Condo, so needs to be a bit more careful and make sure there are no hidden problems.