Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Weather in Hua Hin & Thailand

Post by Nereus »

Storms cause flooding, traffic chaos around Bangkok

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

Several hours of heavy rain caused flooding in Bangkok and surrounding provinces and caused traffic havoc on Friday morning.
Downpours pounded the capital from about 5.15am and continued until late Friday morning.

Traffic radio stations reported torrential downfalls in several inner districts of the capital, including Sathon, Bang Rak, Phaya Thai and Khlong Toey, and most parts of Thon Buri. Don Muang, Sai Mai, Bang Khen and Lad Krabang were also affected.

The highest rainfall was measured at 164.5mm in Bang Khae district. Phetkasem Road in Bang Khae and Ekkachai Road in Bang Bon were flooded, Jor Sor 100 traffic radio station reported.

A section of an expressway heading to Sathupradit Road was also inundated this morning, the traffic radio station reported.

Floodwater rose to foothpath level on Chan Road in Sathon district and Charoen Nakhon Road in Khlong San district, causing traffic woes in the area and nearby roads.

The downpours also spread over the surrounding provinces of Nonthaburi, Samut Prakan and Pathum Thani.

Pol Col Kritsana Pattanacharoen, deputy spokesman for the Royal Thai Police Office, said national police chief Chakthip Chaijinda ordered police in all areas to keep the traffic moving, with emphasis on flood-hit areas.

The Meteorological Department forecast more summer storms with heavy rain, gusty winds and some hail in the North, the Northeast, the East and Central regions, including Bangkok and its vicinity through into Saturday.

A high pressure system continues to cover the Northeast of the country, where temperatures remain high, the department said on Friday.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Storms wreak havoc in 24 provinces, kill one

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

One person was killed by lightning as thunderstorms and strong winds wreaked havoc in 24 provinces this week, the Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation reported on Friday.

Fourteen of the provinces hit are in the Northeast, four in the North, two in the Central Plains, two in the eastern region and the two others in the South.

From Monday to Thursday, gusting winds damaged 1,239 houses and structures in 189 villages in 57 districts, and brought down trees and electricity poles that blocked roads, causing widespread local blackouts and disruption.

A 46-year-old man died when his shelter in a rubber plantation was hit by lightning during a storm in Chachoengsao's Tha Takiab district on Wednesday.

Local authorities provided initial relief to the affected villagers, as people were warned to be alert for more stormy weather on Friday and Saturday.

More extreme weather was forecast for the upper part of the country, the Northeast, the Central Plains and Bangkok and nearby provinces, the department said.

People are warned to steer clear of huge trees and large billboards during a storm and advised to contact hotline 1748 around-the-clock in case of emergency.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

My golf got rained off earlier on today.
It was fine weather at 9am tee off but by the 6th hole a disaster was moving in. We managed to shelter at a drinks stop and then walked in.
Luckily, the course gave a rain check of a full 18 holes as long as we hadn't played more than 9.
Must admit that that had been forecast since yesterday and for once the weather sites got it right.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Heavy shower where I am in Bangkok this morning.'
........................................................................................

Summer storm warning this week

https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... -this-week

Unseasonal summer storms are expected to hit many parts of the country from Thursday onward.
The Meteorological Department on Sunday issued a summer storm warning for northeastern and eastern provinces from Thursday to Saturday.

The storm then will move to the northern and central regions, including Bangkok, on Friday.
Patches of hail and strong winds are forecast in northeastern and eastern areas during the period, the weather office added.

The storm front is due to a high pressure system from China moving over the northeastern and eastern parts of the country towards the South China Sea.

Heavy rain has already hit some provinces, including Tak and Phetchabun, this weekend.

In Bangkok, rain was reported in Jomthong, Pathumwan, Ratchathewi, Phaya Thai and Din Daeng districts on Sunday by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration, while downpours flooded several roads in Samut Prakan.

The storms will coincide with a long weekend, as Friday, April 6, is a public holiday to mark Chakri Memorial Day.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Yuk - Cold, wet and windy :cry:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:52 am Yuk - Cold, wet and windy :cry:
Surprisingly, the forecast for today has turned out to be accurate, with the winds expected to pick up strength over the next few hours so could be set for a miserable day.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Having come from one of the driest places on earth, for me it is a welcome change for a day or so!
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

:banghead: First rain, first power cut :banghead:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:03 am
Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:52 am Yuk - Cold, wet and windy :cry:
Surprisingly, the forecast for today has turned out to be accurate, with the winds expected to pick up strength over the next few hours so could be set for a miserable day.
Yes, it's been lashing it down for a couple of hours now out in Nong Khon.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:53 am :banghead: First rain, first power cut :banghead:
Although I worked in the Power Generation business for over 40 years, I don’t understand the technical side of the distribution/domestic supply, but we have a 3 phase supply in our house and have some power and light circuits on and some off - maybe Nereus will provide the reasoning behind it all
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 am
Big Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 9:53 am :banghead: First rain, first power cut :banghead:
Although I worked in the Power Generation business for over 40 years, I don’t understand the technical side of the distribution/domestic supply, but we have a 3 phase supply in our house and have some power and light circuits on and some off - maybe Nereus will provide the reasoning behind it all
Most small consumers are only supplied with single phase. If you have a 3 phase supply consider yourself fortunate.
The distribution system used in the street consists of 2 different types of electrical connections. The high voltage uses 3 wires and is connected in what is called "delta", or "mesh" if you are a Yank, and the triangle shape of the connection means that each of the 3 points of the triangle is 1 phase.

The voltage on each phase will be High Voltage, 6KV, 11KV, or whatever and of no use to a consumer. So a transformer has to be provided to "step down" the voltage to a useful level, in this country around 220 volts. The "primary" side winding of the transformer connects directly to the HV supply, one phase to each winding.

It is the secondary side of the transformer that is used for the consumer supply. Here the connection of the windings are connected in what is called "star", or "wye". This is a "Y" shaped connection with 1 phase available at each end of each leg of the "Y".

BUT, the connection also has a centre point, called the "star point". This point is where the "neutral" connection is made. If you look at the "star" you will see there are in fact 2 sets of windings in series across 2 phases. The voltage appearing here by transformer action is around 380 / 400 volts, which can be used to run 3 phase equipment. The voltage appearing across 1 phase and the centre, or star point, is 1,732 (root 3) of the phase to phase voltage.
Star-and-Delta-Connections.jpg
Star-and-Delta-Connections.jpg (46.28 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
In a power failure situation it will depend on just where the failure occurs. If on the primary side of the transformer and just 1 phase fails, then the other still active phases will still provide for some output on the secondary side, but it may be at a reduced voltage, or "brown out". If the failure is on the secondary side of the supply it depends on which phase that the consumer is connected to wether or not you will still have a supply. That is the reason why if you have a 3 phase supply you may still have some single phase power, and your next door neighbor, who may be connected to a different single phase, still has power while you do not.

As always, TIT, so that is only the theory!
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:14 am
Dannie Boy wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 10:02 am
Most small consumers are only supplied with single phase. If you have a 3 phase supply consider yourself fortunate.
The distribution system used in the street consists of 2 different types of electrical connections. The high voltage uses 3 wires and is connected in what is called "delta", or "mesh" if you are a Yank, and the triangle shape of the connection means that each of the 3 points of the triangle is 1 phase.

The voltage on each phase will be High Voltage, 6KV, 11KV, or whatever and of no use to a consumer. So a transformer has to be provided to "step down" the voltage to a useful level, in this country around 220 volts. The "primary" side winding of the transformer connects directly to the HV supply, one phase to each winding.

It is the secondary side of the transformer that is used for the consumer supply. Here the connection of the windings are connected in what is called "star", or "wye". This is a "Y" shaped connection with 1 phase available at each end of each leg of the "Y".

BUT, the connection also has a centre point, called the "star point". This point is where the "neutral" connection is made. If you look at the "star" you will see there are in fact 2 sets of windings in series across 2 phases. The voltage appearing here by transformer action is around 380 / 400 volts, which can be used to run 3 phase equipment. The voltage appearing across 1 phase and the centre, or star point, is 1,732 (root 3) of the phase to phase voltage.
Star-and-Delta-Connections.jpg

In a power failure situation it will depend on just where the failure occurs. If on the primary side of the transformer and just 1 phase fails, then the other still active phases will still provide for some output on the secondary side, but it may be at a reduced voltage, or "brown out". If the failure is on the secondary side of the supply it depends on which phase that the consumer is connected to wether or not you will still have a supply. That is the reason why if you have a 3 phase supply you may still have some single phase power, and your next door neighbor, who may be connected to a different single phase, still has power while you do not.

As always, TIT, so that is only the theory!
I knew I could rely on you to provide an explanation that I wouldn’t fully understand- thanks.

I have done many interviews for electrical technicians/engineers and listened to the Maintenance Manager ask questions about transformers and probing their knowledge about Star and Delta, but that was about the limit of my knowledge!!
:cheers:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I knew I could rely on you to provide an explanation that I wouldn’t fully understand- thanks.
Sorry, what part do you not understand?
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Nereus wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:37 am
Sorry, what part do you not understand?
Most of it, if I’m honest, but let’s leave it there as I’m happy to remain ignorant, especially now that the main supply has been reconnected. Thanks
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Well I am so grateful that when we built our house 3 phase electricity was installed - not that I appreciated it until Nereus explained the advantages. Thank you Sir.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.