Kasikorn Debit Card

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
lomuamart

Kasikorn Debit Card

Post by lomuamart »

Mine expires at the end of this year so I'll pop down to bank next week to get a new one.
I seem to remember that there was a discussion a little while ago about PIN numbers being extended from 4 to maybe 6 or 7 digits. Of course, not only is that a bit more difficult to remember (getting old these days) but it makes the card useless anywhere outside of Thailand and maybe even outside of KBank ATMs.
I also seem to remember that some people were saying that the bank might back down on the longer PIN number if you insisted so I'm wondering if anyone has recently renewed their Kasikorn debit card and what the situation was with their PIN. I'd much prefer to only have a 4 digit number and the existing one. Forewarned is forearmed.
Thanks.
Big Boy

Re: Kasikorn Debit Card

Post by Big Boy »

About a year ago, so not recent, Mrs BB and I had to renew. We were given no choice - it was 6 digits or nothing.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:51 pm About a year ago, so not recent, Mrs BB and I had to renew. We were given no choice - it was 6 digits or nothing.
Yes, same with me.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Marvelous.
Thanks for the replies.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

I seem to remember being told that if you want to use the card abroad then you have to use either the first four or the last four digits of the pin. Probably best to check when you renew.

As for other Thai ATMs; my 6-digit Krungsri card works in every ATM I've tried so far so I wouldn't worry about that.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

OK, then that's not too bad. I'll check it out next week and report back.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I opened aa new account in Hua Hin and mine is 6 numbers.
Talk is cheap
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I still need to check it out yet, but I withdrew some money on Mrs BB's card today, and a notice popped up on the screen saying that her ATM card fee for 2018 will be automatically taken in January - 650 Baht. That sounds rather expensive, and they can have it back.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:44 pm I still need to check it out yet, but I withdrew some money on Mrs BB's card today, and a notice popped up on the screen saying that her ATM card fee for 2018 will be automatically taken in January - 650 Baht. That sounds rather expensive, and they can have it back.
We (the wife) uses K Bank as well. She tells me the standard is 250 Baht per year. The additional is for life/risk insurance of some kind. There's been a lot of on-line complaints apparently that when people apply for a new ATM card they say "that 250 Baht promotion is not available today...." "The higher price comes with insurance is a benefit for you...." " You want a card today, or wait (a lie) a week or more for the 250 Baht promotion to return..." The Rep earns commission.

The wife thinks they have stopped it or now discourage it with their reps due to the amount of complaints. I would go into the bank and bluntly say, I want the 250 per year ATM rate and no insurance, and see what happens. Force the issue.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
aragon
Professional
Professional

Post by aragon »

lomuamart wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:31 pmPIN numbers being extended from 4 to maybe 6 or 7 digits. Of course, not only is that a bit more difficult to remember (getting old these days) but it makes the card useless anywhere outside of Thailand
What makes you think that having a 6 digit PIN would render the card useless outside of Thailand? I've had a 6 digit PIN on my debit card from HSBC Bahrain for years and have used the card all over the place, including the UK and Thailand :wink:
“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.” Sir Winston Churchill

Life isn't like a bowl of cherries or peaches, it's more like a jar of Jalapenos--what you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow......
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

When it was first mentioned in another thread, it was mooted that the card wouldn't work elsewhere and I just assumed that made sense because, for instance, UK cards have a four digit code and thought the machines would be made to only identify that.
I'm not likely to use it much abroad but if it works then all to the good.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Not sure where you read that lomu but its utter bullshit. I spent six months in England living off a Kasikorn 6 digit ATM card pulling funds from Thailand, worked in all UK machines but exchange rates varied a bit so you have to choose your bank wisely.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I finally got my new debit card after a couple of failed attempts because I didn't have the patience to wait.
All painless, no mention of insurance and cost was 200 THB. Card is valid for 5 years.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

lomuamart wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:51 pm When it was first mentioned in another thread, it was mooted that the card wouldn't work elsewhere and I just assumed that made sense because, for instance, UK cards have a four digit code and thought the machines would be made to only identify that.
I'm not likely to use it much abroad but if it works then all to the good.
I've used in the EU, 5 countries in the Balkans and Morocco. Stopped using it after I started getting monthly statements and saw the fee per use.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

lomuamart wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:34 am I finally got my new debit card after a couple of failed attempts because I didn't have the patience to wait.
All painless, no mention of insurance and cost was 200 THB. Card is valid for 5 years.
It may be valid for 5 years but I think you'll find that there is still an annual fee to pay.