Bangkok Bank Visa Debit

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Bangkok Bank Visa Debit

Post by RCer »

Bangkok Bank has stopped using Visa debit cards.

The new card is useless except at a few places.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: Bangkok Bank Visa Debit

Post by huahin4ever »

I better take good care of the one I have. It will expire in 2019.
YNWA
PAFC
Amateur
Amateur

Post by PAFC »

I use my Bangkok Bank Visa for online payments. Visas from my other bank accounts don't work for online payments, does anyone know which other cards can be used for online payments from Thai bank accounts?
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: RE: Re: Bangkok Bank Visa Debit

Post by huahin4ever »

PAFC wrote:I use my Bangkok Bank Visa for online payments. Visas from my other bank accounts don't work for online payments, does anyone know which other cards can be used for online payments from Thai bank accounts?
Sounds like you have a proper Visa card from BB. Mine is a debit card as mentioned in op, and I cannot use it on web sites or with credit option. My wife had to replace hers, and she is a bit pissed that the new debit cards from BB are nearly useless. With the old one like I have I can pay most places like Tesco, Home Pro, Macro etc, but hers cannot be used.
YNWA
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

By 'nearly useless', do you mean they work only at ATM machines?
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

Homer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am By 'nearly useless', do you mean they work only at ATM machines?
Yes and a handful of retailers none are common here.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

RCer wrote:
Homer wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am By 'nearly useless', do you mean they work only at ATM machines?
I hope this will change since a chip card is a lot safer, but as of now those new cards are an inconvenience. I use my card mostly in ATMs, Tesco, Macro, Home Pro and Villa Market. If I where to change to the chip card I think it will only be ATMs I can use now of those I have mentioned. In addition it is only ATMs which support chip technology which can be used, and in Thailand not all banks have this new technology installed in their ATMs.
YNWA
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

huahin4ever wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:13 pm
I hope this will change since a chip card is a lot safer, but as of now those new cards are an inconvenience. I use my card mostly in ATMs, Tesco, Macro, Home Pro and Villa Market. If I where to change to the chip card I think it will only be ATMs I can use now of those I have mentioned. In addition it is only ATMs which support chip technology which can be used, and in Thailand not all banks have this new technology installed in their ATMs.
[/quote]

Its not the chip. My last card had a chip, but it was a Visa debit card. The new card is not Visa.
Peroni
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Peroni »

In Australia we have had the chip cards for many years, signature verification has not been used for almost as long. Approximately 2 years ago "Tap and Go" was introduced where all that was required for purchases up to A$100 was to wave your card over the top of the shop terminal, over A$100 then the input of the customers PIN was required. All transactions involving Cash require the PIN to be used. If you have a smart phone with the necessary NFC chip installed then you can program it to mimic your chip card, thereby replacing you're card with the smart phone.

John :cheers:
Thailightzone
Suspended
Suspended

Post by Thailightzone »

So couple of questions...

Do Bangkok Bank still issue ATM debit cards at all?

Could I purchase something on lazada from within Thailand using my Australian bank Visa card?
europtimiste
Banned
Banned

Post by europtimiste »

The BB Visa card has a chip.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

The Be1st smart debit card is a Visa debit card according to the bank's web site. I could imagine that using it for web shopping may require some sort of activation request.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank ... fault.aspx.

RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

hhinner wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 pm The Be1st smart debit card is a Visa debit card according to the bank's web site. I could imagine that using it for web shopping may require some sort of activation request.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/BangkokBank ... fault.aspx.
So the card in my wallet is wrong?
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Wrong in what sense? Maybe your branch isn't pushing the other debit cards shown on the website. Maybe the website's wrong or not yet updated.
The call centre would probably give a definitive answer. It just seems a bit strange that Bangkok Bank would abandon Visa debit and risk losing loads of customers. Maybe they're trying to get customers who insist on Visa to move to credit card? I'm not a customer but just thought it strange.
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

^^ Sorry, typo -- "isn't" should be "is" - ...branch is pushing... .