Long term tick and flea treatment for dogs.

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Long term tick and flea treatment for dogs.

Post by Bluesky »

The Food and Drug Administraion late last year approved the use of Bravecto in Thailand as a flea and tick treatment for dogs. Up until recently we had been bringing it in from Australia for our dog. The pharmaceutical area of Kasetsart Veterinary University in Hua Hin now stocks this. If you are looking for alternative long term tick and flea control other than the usual injection given here it may be worth investigating.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (197.24 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (186.32 KiB) Viewed 1378 times
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Re: Long term tick and flea treatment for dogs.

Post by Vital Spark »

Thanks for that information Bluesky. Ticks and mites here are a nightmare for both the dog and us, and I use Frontline at the moment but it only lasts a month. I'll see if I can find some here in Nakhon Pathom.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I've read a lot of bad things about Bravecto on pet websites. I believe it can be dangerous for significant numbers of dogs.

All tick treatments have some risk/side efects, even Frontline, but Bravecto seems a worry.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

I've been using En-Dex 4000 for some years now and found it 100% successful. Prior to that we'd tried everything and found nothing that works. We have two dogs, a poodle and a pit bull in a large garden (part of the problem) and I've never seen a tic on them since using these pills.
It comes in pill form (very small so easy to administer). Dose is monthly and is also good against heart worm and mange.
Unfortunately, it's not available in Hua Hin so we buy a supply when in BKK.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I don't remember the brand name we use, but all 3 dogs have suffered tick fever. I went to the vet with a friend last week, and noticed that they were pushing Bravecto also. Her dog is regularly treated with Front Line - she was diagnosed with tick fever. I guess these treatments help, but nothing is 100% effective.

We also have the vet come to the house every 10 weeks to give our dogs the injection.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:00 am I've read a lot of bad things about Bravecto on pet websites. I believe it can be dangerous for significant numbers of dogs.

All tick treatments have some risk/side efects, even Frontline, but Bravecto seems a worry.
As with any product there is risk hence my comment for anyone considering to do their own investigation.

As to what prompted this Post?
The recent loss by a friend of his dog as result of complications from tick infestation and yes, the dog had been recently needled for ticks here.

Coming from an area in Australia which is heavy infested with ticks, including the paralysis tick, posed ongoing concerns. Over the years we have used a range of products to address the problem with varying edges of success. On veterinary advice Bravecto has been used on family livestock working dogs (8) for some time now without issue. Any product of this nature we seek professional veterinary advice on because of MDR-1 gene often carried in Australian working dogs and in particular the collie breed. (i.e. Ivermectin intolerance) Likewise for our dog.
As with anything it is a matter of balancing the risks

As with any product of this nature there are risks/side effects. An interesting article on the subject by an Australian Vet

http://www.walkervillevet.com.au/blog/d ... kill-dogs/
'Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way they ask for directions'. -Winston Churchill-
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:43 pm I don't remember the brand name we use, but all 3 dogs have suffered tick fever. I went to the vet with a friend last week, and noticed that they were pushing Bravecto also. Her dog is regularly treated with Front Line - she was diagnosed with tick fever. I guess these treatments help, but nothing is 100% effective.

We also have the vet come to the house every 10 weeks to give our dogs the injection.
We had used Frontline in Oz many years ago with very limited success most likely as a result of our environment. As it was administered externally to the skin (generally behind the neck or shoulder blades) it lost its effectiveness quite quickly on working dogs, probably the main reason being that the dogs would "cool off" at any opportunity either by jumping into a trough, creek or waterhole to prevent overheating.

When we moved onto Nexgard it was more effective as it was administered orally, It was still slow on killing ticks ( generally 2 days) and we still issues with tick neurotoxins. When we moved on to Bravecto it worked on ticks fairly quickly (from the time the tick stated to feed to expiration about 12 hours)
As a bit of an aside and slightly off topic there was a vaccine developed in Australia for cattle to reduce/prevent tick fever which was often fatal.

One of our working dogs which was bred specifically for cattle work in a hot climate quite different from his border collie UK cousins!
Webp.net-resizeimage.png
Webp.net-resizeimage.png (155.82 KiB) Viewed 1176 times
Jack Sprat

Post by Jack Sprat »

I use 'tick collars'....bought from the vet close to the traffic lights, near the palace.
I have 2 dogs that used to suffer badly from tick infections.
Since an initial injection and continual use of the collars, the hounds have been totally tick free for a couple of years now, and their condition is better than ever.
The collars are 300 baht each and last for 3 months.
Highly recommended.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Further to my last. Before using En-Dex 4000, my dog had serious problems with tics. I'd tried Frontline, injections, shampoos, sprays, powders, tic collars etc but none of them had any real effect. Since using these pills (2 per month for the big dog and one for the small poodle), I've never seen a tic on either of the dogs. The difference we found was almost immediate. We've been using these pills for 2 or 3 years with no adverse reactions. The cost in BKK is only 75 baht for a packet of 10.
It's googleable, so check it out.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

HHTel, I'm interested, but are you under-dosing your big dog? I googled it as suggested, and this is what I've found (usual crap translation):
En-Dex 4000: for the dog weight 10 kg to eat 1 PILLS 5 kg to eat 0.5 pills 2-3 kg to eat 1 PILLS IN 4 pills.
En-Dex 8000: for the dog weight 20 kg to eat 1 Pills 30 kg to eat 1.5 pills 40 kg to eat 2 pills.
It's a 3-Year-old prevent, and the main, the heart, the heart, and the other worms in the dog, if there were a lot of fleas yet, never let them eat drugs for a week. Keep in touch next month to take a pill for once a month.
Or is your big dog not so big :wink: ?
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Next to the poodle it's big but I suppose about the same as a labrador.
Vital Spark
Legend
Legend

Post by Vital Spark »

@ Bluesky: Love the photo of your working dog. My dog here would look a bit like that if I painted white bits on her.

I've tried En-Dex in the past as I can get them quite cheaply at our local market. Sometimes they seem to work OK, sometimes not. Might give them another try.

VS
"Properly trained, man can be a dog's best friend"
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

En-Dex is not a 'quick fix'. It's an ongoing treatment. I would suggest you try it again and maintain the dose and see how it is after say 3 months.
Bluesky
Guru
Guru

Post by Bluesky »

The active imgredient in En Dex is ivermectin. It was originally developed as an anthelmentic/endectocide for the cattle industry for the control of internal/external parasites and available in both pour on and Injectable form. If there is any chance that your dog carries the MDR-1 gene (see earlier post) there are risks. Likewise if your dog is infected with heart worm there are further risks. Fairly straightforward tests are available for both these conditions.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Likewise if your dog is infected with heart worm there are further risks.
Thanks for the info. The product is advertised as fighting against and a treatment for heart worm as well as mange!