What Do You Feed Your Dog

A place to discuss all things pets, vets and animal care.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Re: What Do You Feed Your Dog

Post by huahin4ever »

I spent quite some time researching dog food online and compare to what is available here in Thailand. As of now we feed all our 5 dogs a mix of steamed rice with either boiled chicken, bbq chicken or pork in the morning. In the evening they have dry food from Taste of The Wild. This dry food is expensive, but since it doesn't contain any fillers it lasts for a long time. The dogs eat very little of this one since it is very high in nutritients. I used www.dogfoodadvisor.com mostly in my research, and ended up on using https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... -food-dry/ "Wetlands Formula". This dry dog food is available as far as I know from 2 shops here in Hua Hin. Pet Central not far from the Honda bike dealer on Phetkasem in town and Petmak at Macro. My experience is that Petmak is considerable cheaper than Pet Central for the same size bag. 500 baht cheaper. 1 bag which I kind of remember is 13kg is around 3000 baht at Petmak, and for our 5 dogs it last 2-3 months.
YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

That's the stuff Pete - I've never seen dogs enjoy their food so much.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

Haven't tried Pedigree, but I act like that with other gravies
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

You should try it. You'll be dancing around like a 2 year old :dance:

Seriously, we have relatives just outside of Hull who breed dogs. They only use Pedigree products. If they ever think there's anything wrong with the dog food, they call the rep, and he will eat it himself to check. He used to reckon the content of Pedigree products was perfectly OK for human consumption.

Points 41; Position 18
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

I don't know about Pedigree wet food, but the dry food they sell here in Thailand are full of what is called fillers. Low on nutrients just ingridients to make your dog get full. This is the rating from Dog food advisor, 1 star https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food ... -food-dry/ , and when I checked the ingridients on the bags sold here in Thailand they contained the same and even less good nutrients. It is well worth to read about the ingredients they put in the food. Some I would never feed any animals. But as BB says, if you yourself can eat it, is good for the dog.
YNWA
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

The Pedigree wet canned I've seen here has "produced in Australia" labels on it. That gives me a bit more confidence that actual beef and chicken are going into it and not road kill or endangered species. :shock: We had a period where we had to give both dogs strong antibiotics for several weeks. We made the mistake of trying to hide it in their food rather than put it down their throats manually. Big mistake. They now associate the smell of Pedigree wet canned with the bitter taste of antibiotic pills and won't touch it. This is going on a year or more now. :banghead: Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

The Pedigree wet canned I've seen here has "produced in Australia" labels on it. That gives me a bit more confidence that actual beef and chicken are going into it and not road kill or endangered species
Wont be road kill, all of that is exported to the USA as Hamburger Meat. :rasta:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

I'm having an epiphany here. Our bitch is killing our grass: one pee, one dead spot. Reading up it probably is not wholly the nitrogen level of her urine that's the problem so much that the pH of the urine is too high.

I'm going to go from dried biscuit mixed with a small amount of sachet food over to a good quality tinned diet for moisture content, and/or raw meat (which we fed our old "fit as the butcher's" dog on for 16 years in the UK) with a tooth/gum stick after meals. I don't even think dried foods are natural for dogs or cats. She drinks a lot of water which I guess is a sign that the food doesn't give her enough moisture (obviously the climate plays a part too).

I read quite a few articles today, and this one is the one I agree with most:
http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/he ... -dogs.aspx
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: RE: Re: What Do You Feed Your Dog

Post by hhinner »

Nereus wrote:
The Pedigree wet canned I've seen here has "produced in Australia" labels on it. That gives me a bit more confidence that actual beef and chicken are going into it and not road kill or endangered species
Wont be road kill, all of that is exported to the USA as Hamburger Meat. :rasta:
I was facetiously going to suggest it would be kangaroo. But apparently kangaroo would be good and is more expensive. https://www.k9ofmine.com/best-kangaroo-dog-food/
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

404cameljockey wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 pm She drinks a lot of water which I guess is a sign that the food doesn't give her enough moisture (obviously the climate plays a part too).
Our rottweiler was like that. I took her to the vet querying diabetes, but it turned out to be 1st stage kidney failure. I'm not saying your dog has either, but a quick blood test could put your mind at ease.

Points 41; Position 18
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

PeteC wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:42 am We had a period where we had to give both dogs strong antibiotics for several weeks. We made the mistake of trying to hide it in their food rather than put it down their throats manually. Big mistake. They now associate the smell of Pedigree wet canned with the bitter taste of antibiotic pills and won't touch it. This is going on a year or more now. :banghead: Pete
One of our adopted dogs had blood parasites that went to the brain. Through lot's of meds she is good now. I started giving her meds wrapped in some of the sliced cheese that is sold around, no problem since!! :cheers:

ps. If in later years she develops an association like your dogs Pete I don't have to worry about the fine Camembert!!
The proper function of man is to live, not to exist. I shall not waste my days in trying to prolong them. I shall use my time.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:35 pm
404cameljockey wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:22 pm She drinks a lot of water which I guess is a sign that the food doesn't give her enough moisture (obviously the climate plays a part too).
Our rottweiler was like that. I took her to the vet querying diabetes, but it turned out to be 1st stage kidney failure. I'm not saying your dog has either, but a quick blood test could put your mind at ease.
Thanks BB, better safe than sorry. She costs enough already so a little more probably won't even notice. She has the terrier 'insert nose into suspicious hole' instinct that's always going to lead to trouble.
MikaQ5
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MikaQ5 »

As my late father used to own a rendering plant some years ago ( which is where processed ' dog food ' is sourced )---

I decided never to feed my dogs Anything but what I cook for them - ( loads of fresh offal meats here in Thai pork shops - chicken breast ,hearts, pork hearts,tongue etc mixed with rice and some veg )

Rendering plants take in a lot of Waste material from meat and other industries along with Dead and Diseased farm animals - all pulverized and cooked at very high temperatures - (which takes away most existing nutrients )

(And God only knows what goes into a thai rendering plant before it ends up in a thai store as dog food )
The Rendering plant product is Then mixed with smelly flavours to entice the dog to eat what is basically worse that cardboard

It's not much more expensive to feed dogs a home prepared food diet that all the high priced junk that pet stores sell

My 2 cents worth
MikaQ5
Amateur
Amateur

Post by MikaQ5 »

Oh and Catfish from Makro @ 42 b per kilo / whole fish
Just ask the fisherman to fillet it taking out the bones
Works out about 40 b per big dog per day

They LOVE THAT TASTE mixed with some rice