Easy fishing in Hua Hin

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
PeteC

Easy fishing in Hua Hin

Post by PeteC »

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... in-hua-hin

"PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: Hua Hin residents enjoyed a great day's fishing on Sunday - without even going out to sea.

Numerous fish, crabs and other marine life were found floating near the beach between the trawler pier and Royal Queen's Park in Hua Hin district prompted people from the resort town and nearby locations to flock to the area with nets and any other fishing equipment they could get their hands on. Some even filled up their small boats ashore."....
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
PeteC

Re: Easy fishing in Hua Hin

Post by PeteC »

It seems you fishermen and gals have an opportunity here over the next day or so. :D Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
limbu

Post by limbu »

It was the same yesterday (Sunday) on Takiab beach. Fisherman casting their nets just a few feet from the shore caught plenty of fish, big and small.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

And at Soi 77. I guess there's going to be a glut of fish for a few days.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:02 am And at Soi 77. I guess there's going to be a glut of fish for a few days.
Were they still alive?
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I think dying is probably the best description.

Points 41; Position 18
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

And they never think to throw the small ones back so they can grow big one day and breed. Eat now for tomorrow we starve.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

It's happened again - fish for tea................
fish.jpg
fish.jpg (159.78 KiB) Viewed 931 times
Full story: Daily News

Points 41; Position 18
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

^ WOW! Now that's quite something!! :shock: :shock:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

More on the above.....

Tonnes of dead fish wash up on Hua Hin beach
Published: 17/10/2017 at 06:06 PM
Online news: https://www.bangkokpost.com/news/genera ... recent_box

PRACHUAP KHIRI KHAN: Many tonnes of small fish were washed up dead along about 10 kilometres of the Hua Hin beach after heavy rain sent freshwater flooding out to the sea.

It rained heavily in the area for hours on Monday. The freshwater drained off into the sea and by the evening fish, prawns, crabs and other marine life started bobbing to the surface to breathe, unable to get enough dissolved oxygen.

On Tuesday morning huge numbers of small fish, mostly ponyfish, were found dead, washed up on the beach from Klai Kangwon Palace to Khao Takiab.

People were catching live fish just off the beach to eat and to sell. The dead fish soon started giving off an unpleasant smell and were gathered up from the sand and sold to animal feed producers.

Subin Chuchuen from nearby Kaeng Krachan district, Phetchaburi, said he bought a new fishing net especially to catch the fish off the beach on Tuesday.

He would not gather dead ponyfish, which were cheap, from the beach. He preferred to catch the considerable numbers of silver-banded whiting swimming in the water. These fish he could sell for more than 100 baht per kilogramme.

Jeerawat Prammanee, assistant mayor of Hua Hin, said there were tens of tonnes of dead, rotting fish on the beach. About 100 soldiers from the nearby camp were helping collect and dispose of them.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Has anybody seen an official report about a very bad smell before the fish showed up? I've seen unofficial reports, but nothing official.

I ask because I was walking the beach and smelt something awful, while my son who was with me, couldn't; and one of our dogs was very ill.

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:18 pm Has anybody seen an official report about a very bad smell before the fish showed up? I've seen unofficial reports, but nothing official.

I ask because I was walking the beach and smelt something awful, while my son who was with me, couldn't; and one of our dogs was very ill.
The sea today is full of a dark green algae which I suppose is what takes the oxygen out of the water and kills the fish. There is definitely a bad smell now, it's like a bad day at Billingsgate!
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

STEVE G wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:26 pmThe sea today is full of a dark green algae which I suppose is what takes the oxygen out of the water and kills the fish. !
Certainly makes a lot of sense. I believe it's an "Algae Bloom". When I was working in the US some years back, there was a big problem with this (June/July from memory there).
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

PeteC wrote: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:06 pm It rained heavily in the area for hours on Monday. The freshwater drained off into the sea and by the evening fish, prawns, crabs and other marine life started bobbing to the surface to breathe, unable to get enough dissolved oxygen.

On Tuesday morning huge numbers of small fish, mostly ponyfish, were found dead...
The water may have been ‘fresh’ when it hit the ground but by the time it sluiced through the fetid sewers of Hua Hin it would have been anything but. I wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere near the unfortunate, poisoned creatures, let alone eat them! :run:
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

J.J.B. wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:55 pmThe water may have been ‘fresh’ when it hit the ground but by the time it sluiced through the fetid sewers of Hua Hin it would have been anything but. I wouldn’t have wanted to be anywhere near the unfortunate, poisoned creatures, let alone eat them! :run:
Fair point - Something (naively) I didn't even think of..... :oops: