Reduce photos size for posting

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Reduce photos size for posting

Post by Nereus »

There are various posts about this and somewhere a "how to" post. But they are all over the place and hard to find.
I have commented previously about "Shrinkpictures Online", and the fact that I cannot get it to work, despite others posting that they use it. I also have used it for several years previously, but for the last 6 or 8 months it will not work. It loads the photo no problem, accepts any changes that I input, and THEN, just sits there with the icon rotating
ad infinitum. I have tried this at least a dozen times and it is always the same.

I have tried at least 3 other online sites and can only get one of them to work, but it has limited options for size adjustments. I have tried to post the following:

1. 88.1 KB, 457 x 640 the original photo from my computer. It will not fit the post as the green status bar overshoots

2. 117.8 KB, 343 x 480 the same result as above

3. 37.9 KB, 172 x 240 this one will load but the image is way too small to be of any use.

I am starting to think that the problem may be with either Windows 10, 64 bit OS, or True online ISP. Whatever it is it is damn annoying!

I am loath to download any of the programs on offer on the Web for security reasons, would prefer to use an online site.

But I would also like to know just how the Forum software decides what is too big. There is not much point in telling me that a photo can only be xxx number of pixels wide, when the reducing program only gives options of *** x *** along with how many KB is an option. It does not mean much to me.

I am now waiting to post a photo to the Caption Competition thread, and am holding off until I can find out more. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Re: Reduce photos size for posting

Post by 404cameljockey »

What do the forum admins think of posting links to images that the poster can upload to sites like Imgur? Then the size issue is not a factor. The image appears in the post just as if it had been uploaded with the post. The main requirement is that the poster never delete the image from Imgur or the link would go dead.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

I have been using Photoscape for years. No security issues and its free. Very easy to use. I just don't post photo's here because its a hassle resizing just to make a post on this single site.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

When I need to reduce photos to send I usually just go to the photo in file manager, right click on the photo and click on send to, click on mail recipient and it offers a size to reduce to. When selected it will create a message with the photo as an attachment. Just drag this back to another folder in file manager and use this. Not sure if this is of any help.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Thanks for replies so far.

I should mention that "Photobucket" has recently imposed a fee if you want to post any photos held on their website to a 3rd party website. And it is not cheap!

I think that Buksida mentioned recently that the forum was looking at a better way of either posting or shrinking. Any result on that yet?
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

404cameljockey wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:38 am What do the forum admins think of posting links to images that the poster can upload to sites like Imgur?
That is already available and what I mainly use to post photos on the forum, although not by using Imgur. Look at the series of small boxes about the post a reply window and you will see one with a view of hills. Click on that and this appears:

[img][img]

Either paste your url in between the two img brackets or just paste your url, highlight it, then click on the box above.
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Big Boy isn't around today it appears but he uses http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm in case you want to try it while waiting. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Microsoft Paint is by far the easiest to use IMHO. Simply click on "Resize" and you'll be given the choice to adjust the size of the photo in Pixels or Percentage (of it's current size) - job done! :thumb:

Paint.PNG
Paint.PNG (7.74 KiB) Viewed 958 times
Resize.PNG
Resize.PNG (3.86 KiB) Viewed 958 times
:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Nereus wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:54 pm Hmm, have not tried that, but:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/ ... ng-program
Yes, I'd seen that, but I believe (well I hope!) it's replacement "Paint 3D" will have the same feature.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

Our official requirements for posting photos as configured in the software are:

Uploading images
Maximum physical image size - 1000x1000 pixels
Maximum image file size - 250 Kilobytes (244,140 actual bytes)
Image formats - jpeg, gif, png, tga, tiff

If your image is not within these parameters it will not upload. These parameters should be suitable for 99% of standard images and photos.

These have been set to prevent the upload of huge 5Mb image files which will rapidly consume our disk space and bandwidth and bring the forum to a grinding halt. There are methods to automatically reduce the image dimensions which we have installed but we have yet to find something that will reduce the file size of what is uploaded (we are still investigating), which is why there is a need for external image compression prior to upload for large photos.

We do allow hotlinking to images on other websites but many of them do not as it uses their bandwidth. The image pixel size must be limited there also to prevent them occupying the entire screen, an 800 pixel thumbnail is created in this instance.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

If your image is not within these parameters it will not upload. These parameters should be suitable for 99% of standard images and photos
As posted, the image is well within these guide lines. So, anybody have any idea why I keep getting a "spill" on the status bar? I have tried to take a screen shot of what I have, but yet to succeed.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

prcscct wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:09 pm Big Boy isn't around today it appears but he uses http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm in case you want to try it while waiting. Pete :cheers:
Faststone Image Viewer is good and free, also has bulk file changing utils. I've used it for years too. Also does screencaps, etc.
404cameljockey
Ace
Ace

Post by 404cameljockey »

caller wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:55 am
404cameljockey wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:38 am What do the forum admins think of posting links to images that the poster can upload to sites like Imgur?
That is already available and what I mainly use to post photos on the forum, although not by using Imgur. Look at the series of small boxes about the post a reply window and you will see one with a view of hills. Click on that and this appears:

[img][img]

Either paste your url in between the two img brackets or just paste your url, highlight it, then click on the box above.
Thanks caller, yes I've used it. :D I guess my question was redundant then. I just wasn't sure if it was preferred, as after a while the images might not be viewable, just depending on the whims of the original poster. No issue.