Drones/Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Big Boy

Re: Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)

Post by Big Boy »

I see drones are still on open sale in Bluport, so I guess they're still legal at the moment.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV)

Post by Nereus »

Big Boy wrote:I see drones are still on open sale in Bluport, so I guess they're still legal at the moment.
They are just toys. Here is a REAL drone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At3xcj- ... e=youtu.be
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Drones/Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)

Post by Khundon1975 »

Our son wanted one for Xmas, but there are so many restrictions on flying them now
In the U.K. we have had to tell him that he will have to wait until he is older.
Shame as they seem fun.
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

If you want to go for a top end drone you may want to start saving. (2013, I wonder what they have now)
World’s Most Lethal Drone Just Flew over Florida

Earlier this week the Air Force tested a new version of their F-16 fighter. But this test was unlike any other in Air Force history: the plane would be flying without a pilot.

Over the skies of Florida and the Gulf of Mexico, the unmanned plane known as the QF-16 took off, executed a series of tactical maneuvers, broke the sound barrier, and landed safely. Two pilots flew the planes from the ground. 
In other words, the Air Force just successfully tested the world’s most lethal drone.
A fully-loaded F-16 has a six-barrel M61 gun, along with 11 other places to mount weapons, including nuclear missiles.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Articles/ ... _term=ndtv
Air%20Force%20unmanned%20F-16%20(2).jpg
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Not banned, and new regulations went into effect a while back. Thankfully, far from their usual knee jerk reaction and proposed total ban.

Actual mirrors USA regulations. 9 kms from airport, and 90 meter ceiling. Fly LOS (line of sight), during daytime, so many meters from people and buildings, which sadly is a bit vague.........no surprise there, so open to interpretation.

All common sense stuff, but very restrictive, unless flying rural.

Fine and jail time is high of course...........surely to be negotiated.

http://www.richardbarrow.com/2015/08/qu ... -thailand/

Some toys and photos:
https://www.facebook.com/UAV-Vids-Snaps ... =bookmarks
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

^^ This was my understanding about Thailand too. I recently qualified as a CAA certified UAV pilot in the UK through their accredited UAPQ-S program, which is intended for sub 7Kg aircraft. This mainly involved a ground school training and exam covering basic topics followed later by a flight test.

Interestingly, our trainers were all active BA pilots and their take on all the "drone hype" was to get qualified while it was still affordable - and optional. Their firm is one of seven accredited by the CAA to train drone users in the UK.

My brother and I did the course together, him for his company to perform building surveys and me for my 'art' :roll: In addition we had to set-up a company entity, obtain commercial drone insurance and prepare a weighty Operations Manual for all our activities. It's neither a small nor inexpensive endeavour but a very educational exercise and, I believe, the way this technology is going to be policed going forward.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

If you have a thing for drones you may want to start planning something like this.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/peoplean ... spartandhp
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

UAVs being put to good use:
....................................................................................

Lifesavers graduate with drone wings

http://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/20 ... one-wings/

The first lifesaver drone pilots have graduated from a special purpose training school.

The Westpac Little Ripper Lifesaving Unmanned Aerial Training School is part of a project for drones to be used to patrol Australian beaches. The drones will be able to spot sharks, deliver help to people in the water, and deliver messages to people who may be drifting into dangerous currents.

The Westpac Little Ripper unmanned aerial system has been under trial since early 2016, under the oversight of CASA. Six full-time lifesavers and six part-time volunteers graduated at a ceremony on February 28 in Port Macquarie, on the NSW north coast.

The trial’s objectives include:

aerial detection of sharks using real-time sensor and pattern recognition algorithms and decision-support processes
delivery of pods containing land- and water-based lifesaving devices, such as defibrillators, floatation devices, shark repellent and personal survival kits

for critical situations integrating automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) and traffic collision avoidance system (TCAS) into drone operations

developing effective integration and coordination with existing emergency and rescue services, such as police, fire and rescue, ambulance, maritime safety and Surf Life Saving NSW.

The Little Ripper fleet of 35 aircraft includes internal combustion-powered single rotor drone helicopters that can carry loads of up to 15 kg and electric-powered multicopters with a load capacity of 3.5 kg.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Tethered drone to hover over Presidential swing

http://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/20 ... ial-swing/

A tethered drone will watch over US President Donald Trump, when he goes golfing this month.

A press release from the US Department of Homeland Security describes the drone as a tethered small unmanned aircraft system (sUAS), and says ‘the proof of concept is operated using a microfilament tether that provides power to the aircraft and the secure video from the aircraft to the operator control unit (OCU).’

The drone will fly over Trump National Golf Course in New Jersey, US, during the President’s vacation there.
Information provided by the DHS to meet privacy requirements says the tethered drone is programmed to autonomously fly 300-400 feet agl, and uses an electro optical/infrared camera controlled by an operator. The camera transmits video images through the tether back to the operator using an encrypted feed. Electric power for the drone’s motors passes up the tether, giving the drone a longer flight time than battery powered drones.
J.J.B.
Guru
Guru

Post by J.J.B. »

It seems golfing events encouraged the development of this technology some time ago. There is a tether system (not cheap!) you can buy to adapt one of the industry-leading SUAs and the 'high boom' shots of the whole fairway was the impetus: https://www.coptrz.com/drone-spares/tet ... ether.html

One of the leaders in drone technology, DJI, published this endurance video some years back to allay fears of aircraft dropping out of the sky due to motor failure.

The DJI 1000 is one of their professional-grade SUAs and will have higher quality components than their consumer models, as well as twice the number of rotors for added redundancy. But it's reassuring to know that so long as they have power, they can run without incident for 72 hours or more.
"A man who does not think for himself, does not think at all."
Wilde
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

CIB tackles illegal drone flight threat

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/general ... ght-threat

The Central Investigation Bureau (CIB) is stepping up its suppression of illegal drone activities, saying many drone enthusiasts don't realise they are required by law to seek permission before flying their toys.

Aside from its bid to regulate drone flying, the CIB also plans to acquire a modern anti-drone device for dealing with drones which stray into prohibited zones, said Pol Lt Gen Thitiraj Nhongharnpitak, chief of the CIB.

Large numbers of drones equipped with cameras are being flown without permission, sometimes straying into prohibited areas and controlled air space.

Their unauthorised use has led to security and privacy concerns as enthusiasts, and some with less honourable intentions, using the aerial flying vehicles to snoop on neighbours or sensitive military installations.

Drones, already popular with tourists and hobbyists, are also widely used in agriculture, parcel delivery, construction, surveying and mapping. They are also used to deliver medical supplies in remote areas as well as collect blood samples.

They are popular in Thailand, with the drone market here expected to reach 500 million baht this year, up from 300 million in 2015.

While not wanting to thwart their use in genuine cases where they can be of benefit to businesses or state agencies, police are nonetheless worried many people do not know they need permission to fly the devices, and are planning a crackdown on unauthorised use.

As it is still a new area, Pol Lt Gen Thitiraj has assigned the Crime Suppression Division (CSC) to study the laws that the police may need to call on when implementing their suppression drive against unauthorised drone flying.

Police are aware of recent incidents of drones being caught while flying over the Grand Palace, some government offices, a military camp and even an airport, he said.

Approval to fly drones is required under a 2015 ministerial announcement by the Transport Ministry. The announcement also lays down rules for drone flyers in cases where permission is granted.

''They are prohibited from flying their drones into or over a hospital, security agencies, flying higher than 300 metres from the ground or violating the rights of others,'' he said.

"The anti-drone device we are thinking of buying will help deal with drones which violate the ministry's regulation," said Pol Lt Gen Thitiraj.

Some anti-drone interceptors overseas fire netting at drones to stop them flying. Others used high-pressure water to bring them back to earth.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission has anti-drone equipment of its own.
It uses high radio frequencies to tackle illegally operated drones, as many drone interceptors do. However, police believe the equipment may now be out of date, as technology in this area is evolving rapidly.

During the coming royal cremation, in particular, drone users are being warned they are prohibited from flying their drones in or near the royal cremation site, he said.

This does not include those drones which have been granted permission to be flown at the ceremony to capture aerial views of the cremation.

Pol Maj Gen Suthin Sapphuang, chief of the CSD, said officers are preparing to use up to three laws to curb unauthorised drone flying, a 2015 Aviation Act, a 1954 Act and the Transport Ministry's 2015 announcement.

A violation of the ministry's announcement may also be considered a violation of the aviation law, which can result in a maximum jail sentence of one year and/or a maximum fine of 40,000 baht, he said.

The offence will bring a more serious penalty if the drone is used to carry military hardware, other dangerous items, or animals, he said.

The ministry's announcement says any drone weighing more than 2 kilograms but less than 25kg must be registered with the Transport Ministry and users must be at least 20 years old, he said. The age limit drops to 18 for drones lighter in weight.

A source who is a member of the team looking at the laws to be employed to curb illegal drone flying activities said police began taking the drone matter seriously after reports that some drones had been flown into military camps and other government offices.

Worse still, drones are also seen as an escalating security threat at many airports, especially because most drones are now equipped with cameras.

As for the anti-drone equipment, the source said it will work by detecting the frequency of the illegal drone and shoot it down with a high velocity water gun.

The unwanted drone also will be seized and inspected as police trace its owner who will consequently face legal action for operating a drone without permission.
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Earlier this year they were using a large drone to film at the Hua Hin jazz festival which was breaking a few of the laws including operating over a gathering of people.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Only breaking the law if they didn't have permission.
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

laphanphon wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 pm Only breaking the law if they didn't have permission.
Really? I wouldn't fancy one dropping on my head if it malfunctioned :shock:
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Big Boy wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 10:03 pm
laphanphon wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:54 pm Only breaking the law if they didn't have permission.
Really? I wouldn't fancy one dropping on my head if it malfunctioned :shock:
Yes, my thoughts exactly, having permission doesn't seem to reduce the danger by any degree.