Is Living Here Difficult for You?

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.

Are you enjoying your stay here less than before?

Yes, living somewhere else is appealing to me right now
19%
There are good days and bad days...
20%
No, I still very much enjoy most things here
61%

Total votes: 70

hidinginhin
Amateur
Amateur

Re: Is Living Here Difficult for You?

Post by hidinginhin »

Pleng wrote:
hidinginhin wrote:...which makes the expats stand out. They sit in the same bars (names change) sit in the same seats, spout the same words at the same time of day. Drinking themselves into an early grave.
it was approaching anywhI don't know what percentage of expats spend a significant amount of time in these areas. It's probably relatively high, but I'd be surprised ifere near 50%
The Thais see this
I'd hazard a guess that only about 5% of the Thai population of Hua-Hin ever step foot in the Binta/80/94 areas... so I'd find it amazing to think that, in general, "The Thais see this".
It wears you down " Groundhog day, everyday".
It only wears you down if you are spending a significant amount of time in said areas yourself! :banghead:

The article you speak of, "Is the love affair, between falang and Thai over?", was, I imagine, written by somebody who moved here some time ago, and has since themselves fallen out of love with the place. Due to disliking the place (s)he naturally gravitates towards other people who also dislike the place [it stands to reason - if you hate a place then you're not going to enjoy the company of somebody who is having a good time and, conversely, people who are enjoying the place aren't going to want to spend too much time around people who just bitch and moan about constantly]. As the writer now hates the place, and only associates with others who hate the place, they assume that there is nobody around who still enjoys life here.

All the while there is always a new wave of freshly expatriated denizens who have yet to fill themselves with such negativity, and they're happily backed up by the quiet wave of long-term expats who have always enjoyed it here, and continue to do so.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

GLCQuantum wrote:
This poll is beginning to match the heights of the...

..."Do You Respect Bar Girls?" thread.

Really are a bunch of twats here. :banghead:
Just re-read this and it didn't come out right at all. I was talking about the bunch of twats participating in the 'Do you respect bar girls thread'... not the guys here - sorry if that came out bad.

Pleng... very good post btw.

Dtaii Maii said...
It goes hand in hand with the boredom thread really.
Life will be difficult and you'll be bored anywhere if you have nothing to do and lack the imagination to find something to occupy your time and - more importantly - your brain.
For as long as I can remember, I've always had something interesting to read wherever I've been.
I always have something to read too. Currently getting through Stephen Kings' "Skeleton Key". Before that was James Patterson's "Alex Cross' Trial" and before that was David Benioff's excellent "The City of Thieves" and before that... you get the picture. A book is always essential to have around but it just doesn't fill the gap - sitting around reading a book isn't what I hope to be doing as it stands.

:cheers:
ExpatJohn
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ExpatJohn »

:cuss: I think most if not all go through the stages once in Thailand. The Four phases 1 Honeymoon
2 Negotiation 3 Adjustment 4 Adaption. From the trying to fit in to rebelling and all the moments between to hopefully finding a happy middle ground where things don't drive you to crazy. Its not easy and I always found that if you compare it where you came from it will be hopeless. Keep busy and try not to over think things. You will be amazed how fast time has pasted and you are accepting things and will not even blink at some of the issues. Is that good or bad its up to you.
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

dozer wrote:
dozer wrote:A few years back there was a real need for expat staff, however nowadays it is just not worth it for the companies to bring expats on a full expatriate package, which will include housing, transportation, per diem, education, etc, when suitable candidates are available locally.

This is why most US companies look towards hiring locally

The US State Department Per Diem Rates for Thailand in Dollars

https://aoprals.state.gov/web920/per_di ... yCode=1143

The cost of hiring expats staff, excluding salary is double that, as much as $15000 per month for someone on single status and as much as $25000:00 per month on married status, depending on the number of dependants.

A side note to the topic of this thread but in the 90'ties i worked for Japanese Telecomms and Data Company OKI Electric. As a 37 year young General Manager for Operations in Europe I got involved in setting up a Factory in Rojana Industrial Park in Ayutthaya. Incidentally we ended up with a plot of land between Swedish companies IKEA and Erichson. We moved prodcution of OKI printers from Fukujima to Thailand in 1994. One Japanese expatriate Engineer costed the same as 40 local Engineers. Do the maths.

Side Note 2: Due to all the Japanese in Thailand at that time we could get a MacDonnalds specialitry - "Samurai Burger", a burger with pork and sour cream. Great stuff 02:00 in the morning after a night out drinking.

Side Note 3: I flew in from Tokyo arriving with Thai Air at Don Muang at Mid night Dec 14th 1004. The Company had booked me into Dusit Thani Bangkok. It was my first time ever in Thailand. As I was catered for by 4 (!) efeminate, beautiful Thai lady Receptionists in long Thai silk dresses I knew there and then that my next wife was going to be Thai..... So she is.
One Day I'm gona die. I can live with that.
NOKYAI
Ace
Ace

Post by NOKYAI »

Frank I hope you mean 2004 not 1004 or you are the oldest member of the forum! Effeminate usually pertains to male members or LB's rather than females....but hay this is
Thailand and that could be what you meant 555!
Enjoying 'Retirement'....So many jobs to do, I don't know how I ever had time to work!
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

NOKYAI wrote:Frank I hope you mean 2004 not 1004 or you are the oldest member of the forum! Effeminate usually pertains to male members or LB's rather than females....but hay this is
Thailand and that could be what you meant 555!
Yes, I meant 2004 and not 1004. That was finger dyslexia revealing my age (60). As for "effeminate" I would think your english is better than mine. I guess I should have said "feminine". Either way I found them attractive and my wife-to-be breathtakingly sexy the first time I met her.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

^ Good, I was about to question the ability to fly in 1004... :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Frank La Rue
Guru
Guru

Post by Frank La Rue »

hhfarang wrote:^ Good, I was about to question the ability to fly in 1004... :D
Yes, and I don't think the Vikings in their ships got that far south-east........ :cheers: