RIP - A Lifelong Friend and Brother Lost

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
hidinginhin
Amateur
Amateur

Re: RIP - A Lifelong Friend and Brother Lost

Post by hidinginhin »

Sorry to hear about your loss. Be cunning as a fox, do what needs doing. Doesn't look like anybody else will.Sounds like you know already what happened.May he rest in peace
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Ginjaninja wrote:Hi Takiab,
sorry to hear you bad news, very tragic indeed. You're description fits our mutual friend Mr. I.O., my ex-colleague, am I wrong here?
GN.

Hi mate. No, Ian is still alive and well. It was him that first told me about this. It's just as much of a loss for him as it is for me because we've all been very close mates for around 30 years.

My mate's sister was on the phone to me yesterday, and asked if I think the police will catch the person who did this. Sadly, I had to tell her I wouldn't count on it. The latest news is that the shooting took place on the 19th of this month, but his family only found out last week when his wife let them know after the cremation.

One would have thought that the authorities back home would have contacted the family, but obviously they did not. Can't say I'm surprised about that though, but I am going to try and find out if the embassy were informed by the Thai police, and if they were, why were his family not informed.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

^^
A pretty sad set of circumstances :(

Condolences for your loss, may he rest in peace. :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
usual suspect
Ace
Ace

Post by usual suspect »

So sorry to hear of your loss Takiap.. :( But I also tend to roll with with Vital Spark's posting & agree you should tread carefully when possibly entering a nasty bag-of-worms.
Both Puy & myself are saddened by this cruel event. :cry:
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

This will require some careful planing. And some way not to be physically present because you are going up against proven murders. Good luck. Sorry for your lost. Remember Thais cant keep a secret.

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
JamesWest
Ace
Ace

Post by JamesWest »

Only trying to be helpful, but please remember this is a open forum and almost everything also goes out on Twitter. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G360H using Tapatalk
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

First up, thanks to all for all the kind words. So far all I've done is send an email to our embassy to try and find out if they were informed, and if so, why they failed to contact his family overseas.

I've also been on the phone with his sister again, and I've now found out that he was shot twice at close range - through the eye and then in the chest.

As someone on here has already said, Thais are not very good at keeping secrets, so hopefully someone will slip up sooner or later. According to his sister, the case is still open as a murder investigation. Maybe the police are also just waiting patiently for someone to talk, who knows.

Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Ginjaninja
Ace
Ace

Post by Ginjaninja »

Hi Takiab, thanks for the information. Again condolences for your loss.
GN.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Those of you who have read my posts on this thread will know that I believed I knew who was responsible for the murder, and last night my suspicions were confirmed. His wife has now been formally charged and taken into custody. I'm not yet sure if she was actually the one that shot him or not but I guess I'll find out more once I get down there in the next day or two.

The police have been in touch with his family in SA and have asked his sister to get over here as soon as she can in order to take his kids who are currently being taken care of by the police. His two girls are the same age as mine, and I can't even begin to imagine the hurt and pain they must be feeling. First they come home from school and discover that their Dad is dead, and now yesterday they get fetched by the police and discover Mom killed Dad. Surely this will stay with them until the day they die. Christ, knowing how they must be hurting really tears me up.

Anyway, his sister may only be able to get here in a few days time so she's going to contact the police and ask if I can go down and take the kids in the meantime. Right now I just want to take them in my arms and comfort them, and hopefully I'll also get an opportunity to thank the police for not brushing this under the carpet.

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

That really is gut wrenching for his kids, his family and you, Takiap. It's good you're here though and can be another familiar face and source of support for them. Do your best, and you've got the thoughts and prayers of everyone on here. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Thanks mate. Yes, I can't even begin to imagine what his kids must be going through right now. I've seen pictures of them at his funeral and the look on their faces is enough to make you cry, and now they also have this to deal with.

Anyway, it looks like they will end up with his family in SA and if that's the case, they will be well looked after and well loved.

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

Truly dreadful situation - hope the kids do get to be with family in SA and at least get some stability at this time.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Just a quick update.......

As per my initial prediction, his wife and her brother were behind this so I was spot on. Even my 10 year old daughter said it was the two of them the minute she heard he was dead.

Anyway, both are now in custody, along with the guy they paid to make the hit - 200,000 baht. According to the latest reports, he was actually shot four times rather than two times as I was previously told.

His sister and her husband will be flying out here tomorrow or the day after and the three of us will then head down there to the house. His kids are still there with their grandmother so I'm looking forward to giving them a huge hug. To be honest though, I have no idea what his sister will manage to achieve. I mean, she might not even be able to take the kids away with approval from the courts, not least because he was not legally married to her.

Ideally they need to get a lawyer involved but I'm not sure what their financial situation is like. What a bloody mess, and at the end of the day, it is all because of greed. :cry:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

Evil barstewards. Those poor kids, it is unbelievable. I think for custody it will depend on if your friend is shown as the legal father, nothing to do with being married.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Yes he's the legal father and is named on their birth certificates.