New Sign at Airport - Disrespect to Buddha is Wrong by Law

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: New Sign at Airport - Disrespect to Buddha is Wrong by Law

Post by GLCQuantum »

A while back, I had a Grade 1 kid in Bangkok come in (during a 'mufti' day of sorts) wearing a a t-shirt with a massive F**K YOU! on the front. This shirt also had a massive image of the hand showing the middle finger on the back, so sometimes - just sometimes - I think the parents do it for a laugh. Nothing to do with not understanding the language.

Or they're just plain dumb.

I also had a Grade 1 kid (precious little German lass called Renata, if my memory serves me well), at Somtawin bring me in a bottle of Johnnie Walker Red on Christmas Eve.

So unusual parenting can work both ways... :D
bert91157

Post by bert91157 »

Seems to me that if you chose to come and live here in this foreign land, that YOU as the outsider should learn to accept the ways and traditions of the people. If you don't agree, that is your right, as is your right to go live somewhere else, were your own values are more closely aligned.
But looking at the world today and seeing the way other religions are spreading, I don't think that a Buddhist country trying to reinforce its values should be so offensive.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Homer »

jumusman wrote:Thoughts ? Notice they never use the word "illegal"...
Notice it wasn't translated into English by someone who uses the language the same as you? Or after careful consideration it was translated in a way easier to understand by those who have limited English as a second or third language?
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

Wrong by law, which law! The new one your just made up on the spot?
I suppose that this one from 1956 would cover it:

TITLE IV

OFFENCE RELATING TO RELIGION

Section 206 Whoever, to do, by any means whatever, to the object or place of religious worship of any group of persons in the manner likely to insult such religion, shall be imprisoned as from two years to seven years or fined as from two thousand Baht to fourteen thousand Baht, or both.