What visa to manage a beach wear shop in Hua Hin?

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
CorbinTalbot
Rookie
Rookie

What visa to manage a beach wear shop in Hua Hin?

Post by CorbinTalbot »

Hello Expat Readers,

I am opening up a dress and bikini shop in Hua Hin Beach area. My dads girlfriend will hold the details as she is thai. Myself and my dad are both from Australia.

I will be coming over and working in the shop (managing it), what visas etc will I need to get.

Also any extra things I should know Im open to hear.

Thanks alot!

Corbin.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Re: Hua Hin Beach Wear Shop

Post by jingjoe »

if you are seeking a work permit you will need 4 thai staff working the shop,plus pay taxes on 50000bht a month (15%) whether earned or not,you wont physically be able to work in the shop(you cant do a job a thai can do),but others will have more details,visas if over 50 you can apply for a retirement visa,but will need to prove 65000bht a month income or have 800 000bht in the bank....if you intend to live off the profits of shop remember hua hin only has 4000 or so fulltime western residents and a very long low season of tourists,it will need to survive on local thais buying stock and most thais dislike going out in the sun to the beach
buksida

Re: What visa to manage a beach wear shop in Hua Hin?

Post by buksida »

Essentially to setup and operate a business legally in Hua Hin as a foreigner you need to make a lot of profit to cover the following expenses:

Thai staff salaries (4 for every work permit)
Thai national insurance (for all staff plus you)
Office premises (they will visit you and expect an official base of operations to be established)
Company tax
Personal income tax
License fees (depends on your trade/products)
Company registration and legal fees
Accounting fees
Visa and work permit fees
Other fees (tea money and other miscellaneous demands)

Not trying to discourage, just letting you know what to expect...
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
CorbinTalbot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CorbinTalbot »

Thanks for your reply, I am only 18. My dad is 51 still living in Australia. He's girlfriend who will own the shop will be the only worker. I will just be around to manage the funds etc. Should I just apply for a 90 day non immigrant visa and stick around but don't do any physical work?
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

It would appear that youth and reading comprehension do not go together well. Still . . . .

I wish you and this business enterprise all the best and a lots of luck as you are going to need it. I could offer more but two others all ready have and no lights came on so it would be a waste of time. I'll just sit back and watch.

Cheers!
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

corbin...thais are happy to earn 10 000 to 20000bht a month...a shop might make this profit(if lucky) which is about $300 to $600 u.s. a month.....and all the visa and headaches associated with this...there are dozens and dozens of dress shops here plus thai markets to compete with that seem to close every week(market town under market village a good example)let your dad be philanthropic with his money...but take the tip and stay home
CorbinTalbot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CorbinTalbot »

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry to some that think my youth prevents me from taking in information.

I understand exactly what is being said, I was just putting forward a question. It is to late as we have already signed the lease and have contracted workers to repair the shop and fit it, and we have ordered stock. My dad is being guided from a close expat friend who has a similar shop in Pattaya which is making 20k+US$ profit monthly in the high season.

The only thing I am trying to get around is for me to personally be in thailand and to make sure that the shop is set-up properly etc.

I know that I can stay 4 weeks without a visa. Is it best for me to cross the border and return every 4 weeks or for me to get a 90 day non immigrant visa, and apply for a work permit. Only thing is I wont be doing any actual work. Only lifting the till and making sure operations are smooth.

I want to know if I can get away with doing that or am I looking at getting in trouble. Need honest opinions.

Thanks to all those who have given me input so far.
buksida

Post by buksida »

In Hua Hin you'll get in trouble if you're seen to be working (with or without the permit in some cases), especially in full view in a shop (which will have competitors).

Personally I'd stay well in the background and just 'consult and advise', its just not worth the hassle otherwise.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

go to your local thai embassy in australia,tell them your dad is moving there and you want to live with him for a year and study thai they might give you a 12month multi entry visa which costs around $280 australian, you will have to leave thailand every 90days and come back in.
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Dude, considering that you know almost nothing about being in Thailand (as a visitor or living as an expat) I have to say that this is not the greatest idea I've heard. TBH, you will run foul of some law or some corrupt person at some point as really every obsticle imaginable is put in your way to stop you from doing exactly what you are suggesting. The 'top-and-tail-of-it' is that they [Thais] just don't want it.

The definition of "work" here is pretty draconian and, if anything, they have got stricter since the men in camo have taken over.

Also, a beach wear shop somewhere almost no-one goes to the beach because they are scared the sun will darken them.....hmmmmmmm, might need a business theme rethink there man.

To start a business here in Thailand and have even the remotest chance of success you need to be 'in the know' about the area, spent a lot of time getting to know the system, be prepared to lose money, possibly pay corrupt officials and have a decent idea for business that you know will be copied quickly if successful or be prepared to have it brought to it's knees by a jealous local or business rival (at the drop of a hat).

People (foreigners) that succeed with businesses here often have very savvy wives that really want to work and have a western attitude towards business, not lazy and genuinely want to make life better for themselves. No disrespect, but whether you are there to do anything or not will probably make no difference at all and you may find that you have 'bitten off more than you can chew' here.

You wanted an honest opinion well..........it's got trouble written all over it man and potentially could land yourself in a lot of trouble. By all means try, but be prepared to possibly lose all the money you put in as the road to longevity and a successful business or life here in Thailand is littered with failures.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
centermid7
Banned
Banned

Post by centermid7 »

It is to late . . . .

Now there are some famous last words! Don't ya just KNOW the girlfriend is just licking her chops at this one. The boyfriend is back in Australia but, not to worry, the 18 year old son will be keeping tabs on the place.
Khundon1975
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Khundon1975 »

CorbinTalbot

Not sure how you think "Only lifting the till and making sure operations are smooth" is not working?
A friend of mine has a restaurant in Cha Am with a Thai partner. Normally, he doesn't lift a finger in the business, but one morning he put out a couple of tables and chairs and got dobbed in and busted.

Be sure of one thing, if you do anything other than walk in the shop and breath, then someone will shop you to the cops.
Give it up, let your dad fund it and you lay on the beach and get a tan.

Good luck. :cheers:
I've lost my mind and I am making no effort to find it.
CorbinTalbot
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CorbinTalbot »

Thanks guys I appreciate all your replies... After hearing what everyone has got to say I have come to the decision that I wont do any work only look at the shop every so and then. After the shop is running if it is successful then I will get a work permit and we will fulfill all necessary requirements so I can legally work in the shop. As you said Khundon1975, lay on the beach and get a tan.. I will be doing this and traveling up and down the land of smiles on a bike looking at some nice beaches and bars.

Another thing, anyone have any nice beaches I can travel too from Hua Hin beach within a bikes ride distance (2-3 hours max)

And thanks again everyone.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

I wish you and your father well in your enterprise however as many have said do not be surprised if it closes within a short time.

Countless foreign guys go into business funding their girlfriends (bar girls) dream only to find out she has no idea how to run any sort of business. She will be on the phone all day, have her friends visiting, all sitting on the floor eating and before you know it stock being sold to her friends at great discounts.

I found the statement about the shop in Pattaya making USD20k+profit quite interesting, are you sure this is profit and not gross income? If a business can make 20k in the high season we would all be opening one.

I have had two commercial business's in town and if they made 100k Baht (USD3k)profit they would still be open. For any shop to make any cash be prepared to work until 10 or 11pm 7 days a week, this is the norm here.

Some other costs to consider:
Shop electricity/water/phone
Initial set up costs to recover
A house or condo to live in and maintain
Purchasing at least one car and a motorbike, and of course something for the little lady.
The list can go on and on.

One other point that confuses me. Your father presumably has been here many times and for extended periods, not just two week holidays so surely he knows all about visa's etc.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

CorbinTalbot wrote:. It is to late as we have already signed the lease and have contracted workers to repair the shop and fit it, and we have ordered stock.
Another thing to consider but correct me if I am wrong. Ordered stock. Is it being imported? If it is you will be subject to hefty import duties. Sorry, just another bite into your capital investment and profits.

I do hope you make it fly but as others have said so many businesses here flower and wither so quickly
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.