Ebay and post

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
kev78

Ebay and post

Post by kev78 »

Is post/delivery good in Thailand? I only ask because I use ebay quite a lot for electrical goods, clothes etc. and would like stuff delivered to my new home in HH in January.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Re: Ebay and post

Post by theprice01 »

I have never had a problem getting post but i know customs have been opening packages and charging an import duty, so be carefull
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
buksida

Post by buksida »

Ordered quite a few things on eBay with no issues. As mentioned above though electricals are likely to be opened and taxed.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kev78

Post by kev78 »

Thought about the whole tax thing, is it the same as the UK where if you mark it as "gift" you can get away with it?
buksida

Post by buksida »

Sometimes, its a chance you take - I wouldn't be ordering anything expensive though as the import duty can be horrendous in Thailand.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kev78

Post by kev78 »

What would you do about a TV? They seemed a bit overpriced when I visited last month, went to market village.
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

My friend was sent a 2nd hand laptop and 5 basic rings (from USA) ...1,980 bahts import tax :o.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

If it's costs that you are worried about, why not have a look at our sponsor, Korrakar who offers a similar service to e-bay.

http://www.huahinmedia.com/korrakar.php
Championship Stoke City 3 - 0 Plymouth Argyle :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 48; Position 20
buksida

Post by buksida »

You'll get hammered importing a TV over, once you pay the shipping and duty it'll be more expensive than buying here.
HHCanuck
Professional
Professional

Post by HHCanuck »

I have ordered several times from DX.com they are very good however I always order small lots of items (free shipping) because I have had orders go missing. DX provides a tracking number from Hong Kong but it only tracks up to Thailand but not within. Certainly if it is valuable or unique it can go missing. If you use courier they will gouge you on actual and made up duties.

Years ago my company sent me a large bundle of documents via courier and we received a call from customs asking for money 2000 baht or 1000 baht to private account. I told them to keep the package as it is only non sensitive work documents. They released the package, I haven't had any request for duties through regular mail though packages from Hong Kong take 2 weeks.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

HHCanuck wrote:DX provides a tracking number from Hong Kong but it only tracks up to Thailand but not within. Certainly if it is valuable or unique it can go missing
If it's an EMS package, you can track it to your door on the Thailand EMS site once it arrives in Thailand
http://track.thailandpost.com/tracking/ ... px?lang=en