Lawn Bowls

So what is going on around here and where does it happen? This section is for discussion on local events, festivals, and holidays as well as activities and things to do.
TVT
Novice
Novice

Lawn Bowls

Post by TVT »

Is there any members online?
Is there any Comps Like Pennants in Aus or is it all social?
Do they have competitive Grades here?
Is there many special events / Are they team or singles events?
RAGE_715

Re: Lawn Bowls

Post by RAGE_715 »

Yes it's still open. I've been many times and I know of groups of people who play regularly I believe Thursday evenings. I have annual membership which saves a little each visit. The food is very good too.
I've used the pool there too after bowls. Nice and peaceful.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

prcscct wrote:Haven't seen anything about this place in some time, but assume still open:

http://www.huahinmedia.com/huahinlawnbowls.php
The above link doesn't point to them any longer as they did not renew their advertising with the forum.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
TVT
Novice
Novice

Post by TVT »

Thanks you both for .your input, I thought it would be more popular here among all the xpats
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

TVT wrote:Thanks you both for .your input, I thought it would be more popular here among all the xpats
I don't know. Hua Hin is filled with Scandinavians, Germans, Russians, Americans as well...a minestrone soup just like every seaside resort here, although British in the majority (I think), I'm sure many frequent the location but don't post about it on the forum. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Pete, I think lawn bowls is a much bigger sport in Oz than it is in the UK. But I can only base this on the size of the facilities and numbers playing that I have witnessed in Oz, compared to what I have seen in the UK. For the last 5.5 years, I have lived directly opposite a bowling green and apart from a few competition days, its very lightly used. A neighbour is involved in the club and they are desperately trying to raise their membership.
Talk is cheap
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

caller wrote:Pete, I think lawn bowls is a much bigger sport in Oz than it is in the UK. But I can only base this on the size of the facilities and numbers playing that I have witnessed in Oz, compared to what I have seen in the UK. For the last 5.5 years, I have lived directly opposite a bowling green and apart from a few competition days, its very lightly used. A neighbour is involved in the club and they are desperately trying to raise their membership.
Whilst it's not as popular now as it was a few decades back, bowls is still more popular in the UK than Australia - in England alone it's about 400,000 compared to about 280,000 in Oz - I've ignored the rest of the UK in case some of it decides to jump ship in a couple of weeks :mrgreen:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I think that British maybe the largest group, year round,but a majority I doubt it. Dec to March the swedes are the biggest group for sure.