The Recommended Movies Thread

Discussion, recommendations and reviews for music, movies, books and games. Creative arts, crafts and photography welcome.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Movies on DVD

Post by Homer »

Snowpiercer. The brilliant director, Joon-ho Bong, borrows the aesthetic from Terry Gilliam's 'Brazil', lays it on a Sci-Fi premise so preposterous that when explained to 10 year olds, most responded "what a load of bollocks", all in service of a thin allegory which makes previous thin allegory benchmarks seem morbidly obese. When highly acclaimed directors seek to make their first film with a US studio, it's common for the studio to lay down boundaries that prevent the director from doing what he does best. Bong overcomes the studio shackles often enough to make this watchable. The rest of the film, however, is a baseball bat swung at people who don't know what an allegory is.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

A couple from the bag

PARANOIA

Gary Oldman and Harrison Ford are two competing giants of the telecoms world, both of whom use teams of salary men/women and every dirty trick they can think of to stay ahead in the dog eat dog corporate world. When Oldman finds out that Ford has a groundbreaking bit of kit in the early stages of design, he deploys and unwilling shill to infiltrate Ford's company to steal it, having said shill's balls by the short n curlies after he went gaga with a company credit card. So begins a deceptive game of cat and mouse, with two very nasty cats, and one very nervous mouse in the middle.

Pretty much a by the numbers corporate espionage thriller and while its done competently, with two major A listers at the helm, its the supporting cast of unconvincing new faces that cack it up and where some razzle dazzle is needed only provide bucks fizz. If you are looking for a corporate espionage thriller, but with an added sci-fi lite sprinkling on top, I recommend the much superior CYPHER.

Anyway, gets two cheers for effort and worth a watch but not a keeper

:cheers: :cheers:

KENAU

Superior Dutch costume drama set during the rebellion against the occupying Spanish forces during the end of the 1570s, which the Spanish flick ALATRISTE tells from the other side.

Kenau is a fiesty independent busineswoman widower whose daughter, having caught the bug of Protestantism, gets burnt at the stake by the occupying Spanish Catholics. So when Spain decides to stamp out the rebellion led by William of Orange, and moves on the uncooperative citizens of Haarlem, Kenau leads a force of the city's women to man the barricades and city walls alongside the menfolk, leading a guerrilla war against the besieging Spanish outside the walls.

Although its done on a budget a fraction of what Hollywood would throw at it, its done with aplomb. Though the battle scenes are, as a result, small scale its stirring stuff with enough action in between the drama playing out inside and outside the walls to keep the plot trotting along nicely. Its also great to see some historical drama from Holland, as it covers an area of history which is novel rather than the usual retread fare. I dropped a copy from VeeHD (look for "Ken@u") but Im sure similar English hard subbed copies are all over the place if you look.

Well worth a watch IMHO, and a three cheers keeper.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

EDGE OF TOMORROW

Ok....Im going to get my obligatory dig at Tom Cruise out of the way at the start.....Jesus Tom! If that Scientology and clean no bad stuff living gives you a face like that, Id hit the StollyBolly, insane strength Java coffee and 40 Capstan Full Strength a day mate. Time is a cruel master bro, and catches us all, but you look like your face has lived through three lifetimes. What the hell is going on with your eye bags and saggy jowls! :neener:

Right....thats out of my system. On to the review....

Another sci-fi epic from Tom, this time a battle ridden bad acid trip version of Groundhog Day, as poor old Tom has to live through the same massacre invasion of the French beaches infested with whirling Dervish death dealing aliens over and over again, each time trying to learn how to survive, get through the day, and find and kill the big bad brain alien before it finds and kills him. Alongside he is aided by the "Angel of Verdun", an all ass kicking killer lass with a big sword and robot armour played by Emily Blunt, who also went through the same repeating day cycle at an earlier battle. Seems the blood from one of the boss aliens, once it gets onto you, endows you temporarily with the power to reset time over and over again.

Its full of massive battles (the same one played over and over, getting gradually longer, with different endings as Tom and Em battle to get the boss alien)....that might sound boring but it manages with some clever plotting and not bad acting to keep exciting all the way. Like Godzilla it suffers from the modern trend to make battles at night a murky mess (in some places), but I wont hold it against it this time, as at least with this flick theres a lot less murk.

I really liked it - Tom has a knack of making good sci-fi, and the time looping plot arcs play out well, even if the backstory is as bonkers as a bag of cats. Its good biff bash action eye candy with not too much schmaltz and doesnt lay the preachy on like some flicks.

Out at the moment in pretty good hi rez WEBRIPs with Korean hard subs, but Id recc waiting till the proper full BDRIPs come out as the battle scenes do pixelate in some places even with a 1080p version as the action is so frenetic the webrip cant cope.

Three solid cheers and a keeper when the unsubbed proper rip arrives.

sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

NIGHT MOVES

Three deluded environmentalists decide to take direct action and plot to blow up a hydo-electric dam that blocks the route of a salmon migration. As they build the bombs, lay them and escape their little clique slowly falls apart, and in the aftermath of the event loyalties are tested to the limit. The first half of the film is the run up to the event, the second its aftermath and effects not just on the three but on everyone around them.

Its pretty slow, with a lot of interpersonal drama between the three leads - a burned out ex-marine bombmaker, the taciturn and sulky logistics guy, and the idealistic and naive rich lass who funds them. And that would have been fine if it were not for the two dimensional (yet again) performance of the main lead Jesse Eisenberg who despite fitting right in to the sulky taciturn role (as it seems its only one of two he has in his repertoire) has as much charisma as a roadkill rat and as much screen presence as a plank of wood. Add to that the frankly odd ending, which ends with not a bang, not a whimper either, just a fizzle and .... nowt. Not even an allegorical hook. Its not as good as the critics make out, but considering that these same critics seem to think Jesse Eisenberg is a good actor thats no surprise.

Didnt work for me at all, and Im giving it one cheer for the efforts of the other actors, but two thbbbts for the fact that nobody has yet seen fit to give Jesse Eisenberg the good hard shoeing he so richly deserves (then he would have something to mope about).

:cheers: :neener: :neener:

sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

GOD'S POCKET

One of the last films Phillip Seymour Hoffman made before checking out, and like The Master its a pretty good testament to his talents. In this Coen Brothers style Fargoesque comedy of errors he plays a low level crim who, along with his equally shady mate played wonderfully by John Turturro, makes one bad bet too many and has a hell of a time getting out from under the vig. His main problem though is his step son, a slimy meth head who goes too far one day on a building site and ends up dead. Phil is now stuck with a body and no money to pay for the funeral, and a washed up local journalist sniffing around his missus and the case of the boys death. Life is never easy in the blue collar hell that is Gods Pocket.

Filmed in that 70s cardboard beige and sepia wash it stinks of last nights beer and old cigarettes, a crumpled paper cup full of sweat and desperation chucked in a gutter overflowing with bile and broken dreams. Its got a great cast, and though the story arcs do sort of wander aimlessly in parts it is an entertaining watch if you like films like Fargo. In a way its a hard watch as well, as you can see Hoffman was getting hit hard by his habits, and was slowly becoming something like a Hemmingway old soak. But its great film all the same, and I give it three hurrahs and a place on the hard drive.

hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Just finished a 2012 British Movie (based on an earlier TV series) called The Sweeny. If you like British action/crime/drama movies I highly recommend it. It had good actors, plot, action, including car chases and violence more like the average American police drama than a British one.

The plot, generally, was about a special police crime unit that uses sometimes questionable actions to solve crime, and may pad their income a bit occasionally from the crime booty, but also have a high success rate of arrests (or executions).... reminded me a bit of the U.S. TV series The Shield.

Anyway, I highly recommend it, especially for you Brits that enjoy this type of film. I had a bit of a hard time as the two top stars had such a thick London accent I missed 20 to 30% of the dialogue. Maybe these British films should have American subtitles for people like me. :D :D :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

sandman67 wrote:GOD'S POCKET

One of the last films Phillip Seymour Hoffman made before checking out, and like The Master its a pretty good testament to his talents. In this Coen Brothers style Fargoesque comedy of errors he plays a low level crim who, along with his equally shady mate played wonderfully by John Turturro, makes one bad bet too many and has a hell of a time getting out from under the vig. His main problem though is his step son, a slimy meth head who goes too far one day on a building site and ends up dead. Phil is now stuck with a body and no money to pay for the funeral, and a washed up local journalist sniffing around his missus and the case of the boys death. Life is never easy in the blue collar hell that is Gods Pocket.

Filmed in that 70s cardboard beige and sepia wash it stinks of last nights beer and old cigarettes, a crumpled paper cup full of sweat and desperation chucked in a gutter overflowing with bile and broken dreams. Its got a great cast, and though the story arcs do sort of wander aimlessly in parts it is an entertaining watch if you like films like Fargo. In a way its a hard watch as well, as you can see Hoffman was getting hit hard by his habits, and was slowly becoming something like a Hemmingway old soak. But its great film all the same, and I give it three hurrahs and a place on the hard drive.

Well I give it 4

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

CASTLES IN THE SKY

This is more of a BBC feature length one shot drama than a flick, but as its a hour and a half long Id say it belongs here.

Eddie Izzard portrays Sir Robert Watson Watt, inventor of the early warning system that would become known as RADAR. Given a tiny budget and little or no support from the Air Ministry, and having to contend with a mandarin intent on sabotaging his experiments at every turn, Watt and his small team struggled against what seemed to be insurmountable odds, working night and day with the threat of the Nazi war machine as their driver.

Its a top class BBC production, and Izzard once again shines as a top class actor who has a talent for playing eccentric oddballs, nobly supported by the A lister support cast. Its fascinating and exciting back room boys own stuff, and reminded me of the classic black n white Barnes Wallace biopic Dam Busters.

Its all over the place online so should be easy to find for my BBC starved HHAD chums - streaming copies can be watched over at Alluc at http://www.alluc.to/movies/watch-castle ... 22392.html (click on "continue to file" on the inbedded FireDrive player or select an alternate one from the list marked Direct Links).

Alluc is a good source for streaming copies of TV programs old and new

www.alluc.to

A definite recc and three rousing hurrahs for Aunty Beeb!

dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

hhfarang wrote:Just finished a 2012 British Movie (based on an earlier TV series) called The Sweeny. If you like British action/crime/drama movies I highly recommend it. It had good actors, plot, action, including car chases and violence more like the average American police drama than a British one.

The plot, generally, was about a special police crime unit that uses sometimes questionable actions to solve crime, and may pad their income a bit occasionally from the crime booty, but also have a high success rate of arrests (or executions).... reminded me a bit of the U.S. TV series The Shield.

Anyway, I highly recommend it, especially for you Brits that enjoy this type of film. I had a bit of a hard time as the two top stars had such a thick London accent I missed 20 to 30% of the dialogue. Maybe these British films should have American subtitles for people like me. :D :D :D
Not a lot of shades of grey in this movie - grab 'em, bash 'em, nick 'em. And probably shoot 'em an' all... :laugh:

My main problem with this film was seeing way too much of the otherwise admirable Ray Winstone in shagging situations in his underwear - not to be watched over a meal... :shock:

Like The Shield, which would have been an ordinary movie but was an excellent series, this would probably benefit from being a TV series rather than a 90-minute action film, with a chance to put a bit of flesh on the characters' bones.

HHF - you may know this already, but the Sweeney is the Flying Squad (Sweeney Todd), which has an interesting, if somewhat chequered, history going back almost 100 years. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Squad

I'll try and have a look at this when I have time. https://natgeotv.com/uk/flying-squad
This is the way
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

WINTERS BONE 2010

A great hillbilly movie

Very raw and moving and IMO real US deep south
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

Sounds like it would be a story of my childhood... :shock: :D
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

A couple of pot boilers from the bag o fun

SHADOW PUPPETS
Sort of a sci-fi horror thriller that looks to be one of those straight to DVD specials you get on the Sci-Fy Channel, despite starring Jolene Blaylock. Its a pretty simple set up - nine people wake up in an abandoned research facility with no apparent long term memory of who they are or how they got there. Unfortunately the rest of the facility staff seem to have met nasty and very splattery ends, and there is a nebulous cloud of vindictive black shadow/fog stalking the corridors. Eventually our merry band find the machine that has wiped their memories....and according to the readout it has been used 8 times. So who is the decoy, and what are they up to?
Not a bad attempt with a paper thin budget, and worth a watch if there is nowt else in your download folder. Two cheers for effort
:cheers: :cheers:

SIN CITY: A DAME TO DIE FOR
A second outing for the comic book franchise, full to the gunnels of the same hi-contrast art splatter set in the neo-noir world of Basin City, and starring some of the old characters and a few new ones. In particular we get to see a whole heaping stack of the super hot super bad Eva Green....and I mean a lot. After a while even I thought the "tits oot" segments were getting a little excessive....so that means a mountain of heaving Eva flesh.
As before its a series of interwoven stories, some acting as a prequel to the first film, others as a sort of epilogue/sequel that tie down the loose strands. And as before while some segments rock, others dont and just feel a little bit like filler to plaster over cracks. The storyline involving Joseph Gordon-Levitt's ace gambler Johnny seems a bit sketchy, and doesnt seem to mesh well with the others....which is a damn shame as hes a fine actor and the character deserved more. I also think Clive Owen made a better Dwight in the first flick than Josh Brolin in this outing, and dont see why the hell they changed actor. Its just clunky.
Anyway, I loved the leather clad kinky arse off this, but Im a big fan of the neo-noir genre and cheese of Sin City. And Eva Green.....Yeah its not as good as the first, and some of its clunky, but what the hell. Its Sin City playah!
Out and about in crispy hi rez rips, and a definite three slugs of whisky and a slug from a 45 three cheers keeper.

STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I've just seen an item on the BBC about this movie about the troubles in Northern Ireland that looks a bit more interesting than the average movie made today, most of which seem to be aimed at twelve year old computer game fanatics.

'71 review-nail biting action thriller set during the troubles
http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/oc ... t-troubles
Indrid
Rookie
Rookie

The Life of Pi

Post by Indrid »

Watched this last night and all I can say is FANTASTIC

The Story line

In Canada, a writer visits the Indian storyteller Pi Patel and asks him to tell his life story. Pi tells the story of his childhood in Pondicherry, India, and the origin of his nickname. One day, his father, a zoo owner, explains that the municipality is no longer supporting the zoo and he has hence decided to move to Canada, where the animals the family owns would also be sold. They board on a Japanese cargo ship with the animals and out of the blue, there is a storm, followed by a shipwrecking. Pi survives in a lifeboat with a zebra, an orangutan, a hyena and a male Bengal tiger nicknamed Richard Parker. They are adrift in the Pacific Ocean, with aggressive hyena and Rickard Parker getting hungry. Pi needs to find a way to survive.

its got an 8 star rating on imdb ( won 4 Oscars )

imdb Link

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454876/

If you have not seen it your missing a great family film :D
I'm not young so I don't know everything any more
GLCQuantum
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by GLCQuantum »

The Purge - Anarchy

I was a little bit gutted when this came out. What was a good, original movie gets given a second run. Very much like what happened with 'Saw'. Same premise (obviously) just different situation. I'd put my life savings that there will also be a Purge III - The apocalypse. Following that Purge IV - Rebirth

A wank movie for small minded people.

None out of ten... Simply as the sequel should never have been attempted.

Edge of Tomorrow

Pretty good but doesn't need a long, drawn out account of it. It's simply, 'Groundhog Day' meets 'Source Code' and a dash of 'Terminator'... Nuff said. Nothing original, nothing new... Just better cgi.

6 out of ten.

:cheers:
Last edited by GLCQuantum on Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.