New Education Visa Laws

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Sabai Sabai
Professional
Professional

New Education Visa Laws

Post by Sabai Sabai »

I've been studying the Thai Language and been living here in Hua Hin on an education visa for the last 2 and a bit years. I normally have to go to immigration every 90 days to renew my visa, pay 1,900 baht and that's it. However, I've just received a call from my school asking me to go in and talk with them in the morning because of new laws that have been introduced requiring me to leave the country in order to renew my visa.... Anybody know about this and can shed some light for me??
heartofmidlothian
Professional
Professional

Re: New Education Visa Laws

Post by heartofmidlothian »

So many rumours flying about with all these new visa rules. Think you would be best to go to the immigration office and get info from them.
Sabai Sabai
Professional
Professional

Post by Sabai Sabai »

heartofmidlothian wrote:So many rumours flying about with all these new visa rules. Think you would be best to go to the immigration office and get info from them.
Thanks, yeah there has been but as I say this came from the school so doubt it's only a rumor. Will update once I've spoken to them. Just curious in the meantime if anyone else had heard about this.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

There is a thread about it on here somewhere. They are tightening up a lot of the immigration laws that have been abused and one of the laws most affected seemed to be the education visa, both on the student and teacher sides. If you are genuinely here for education, have been attending classes regularly and can prove it, you may be ok.... if you're scamming the system to get around the laws to live here, you may be in trouble as, in my understanding, those are the people they are primarily looking for.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
theprice01
Professional
Professional

Post by theprice01 »

When i applied for ed visa (feb 2014), i just had to sign a declaration stating i have enough funds, but now i believe new applicants have to prove it.
I'm due my first 3-month visit to immigration next week so will report if anything intresting happens.
When nosy expats ask how can i live here without working, i reply, 'well, while you worked hard for 50 years, i worked smart for 5 years' :D
bapak
Deceased
Deceased

Post by bapak »

Sabai Sabai wrote:I've been studying the Thai Language and been living here in Hua Hin on an education visa for the last 2 and a bit years. I normally have to go to immigration every 90 days to renew my visa, pay 1,900 baht and that's it. However, I've just received a call from my school asking me to go in and talk with them in the morning because of new laws that have been introduced requiring me to leave the country in order to renew my visa.... Anybody know about this and can shed some light for me??
At Sirada -The Learning Centre understand it...
If you already an Extension based on your entry into Thailand on a Ed Visa, you have to renew the Extension every 3 months..... In the past, you could extend these Extensions for several years. New rule is that at the end of 12 months, you have to leave Thailand and go with documents from your existing school (or any other school) to a Thai Consulate, say to Penang or Vientiane, and obtain a new Ed Visa. With this new visa, on entry into Thailand you will be given 90 days, which you can get 3 Extensions (making 1 year)... and repeat this cycle if you want to continue study.

Believe there is now some consideration being given to allow those students who are already here on Extensions, will be permitted to continue for another year on Extensions. Thereafter, they will have to depart and get new Ed Visa.

The main problem, as we see it, is that Immigration does not/will not talk to Education Department.
For example, Education will not issue new documents for you to get a Ed Visa at a Thai Consulate unless your passport has a departure stamp. Work that one out.

We do not know what other schools in the area are saying. Nor would we comment on the Forum about other schools. If you want further info, email info@learningcentre.co.th Put in the Subject line "New Visa Rules".