Food on motorway rest

Driving and riding in Hua Hin and Thailand, all topics on cars, pickups, bikes, boats, licenses, roads, and motoring in general.
Styker
Rookie
Rookie

Food on motorway rest

Post by Styker »

Yesterday we drowe from rayong to Bangkok.
And we stopped at the big motorway rest, for something to eat.
There was probably about 50 food stalls and a mcD and a coffe bar.
But why do they all sell the same dishes, instead of having different dishes in the about 50 places, like a foodcenter.

It does not make sense to me, and i have had my thai wife since 93 and Was first time in Thailand in 94, quilte a long time ago.

Maybe somebody in here Can explain the food mystery to mee.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Food on motorway rest

Post by Pleng »

Styker wrote: But why do they all sell the same dishes, instead of having different dishes in the about 50 places, like a foodcenter.

It does not make sense to me, and i have had my thai wife since 93 and Was first time in Thailand in 94, quilte a long time ago.

Maybe somebody in here Can explain the food mystery to mee.
...it's pretty commonplace, not just with foods places. "My neighbour opened a gold shop/music shop/laundrette/guest house... I'm going to do it too". Don't knock it; I kinda think it's one of the things that helps keeps prices so low here.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

We need à New section---- Why dont the Thais? ---- i would never open it-- it would be full of unanswerable questions
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

You would rather be in a motorway service station in the UK with a sausage costing 1 pound fifty along with everything else way overpriced?? Rank and Littlechef make a fortune from us travellers. The difference is in the UK we just accept it but here we criticise and expect better.
huahin4ever
Ace
Ace

Post by huahin4ever »

1 pound fifty? Take a trip to Norway! A hot dog there is easily 3-4 pounds! :shock:
YNWA
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

It's just locals with little skills renting a plot at a gas station I am sure the landlord doesn't really care about what's being retailed its bums and stalls on seats.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
Styker
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Styker »

We are takling about 50 or more that is selling the same.
I am very familiar to the thai concept with that if One man starts a business and has succes.
Then there Will soon be a 2-4 copycats around, and then they all suffer from low income, but thats thai logic and falangs is Never gone and understand that.
But again i have never seen so many food shops/restaurants selling the samme, its total opposite to the normal food center concept.