Kanchanaburi border (Phu Nam Ron) for visa runs

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Re: Kanchanaburi border open for visa runs

Post by bsdk1960 »

Gérard wrote:Yes, you can go to Kanchanaburi (PHU NAAM RON) to exit Thailand and re-enter for your second entry.
I suppose you know that you can extend your 60 days visa by 30 days at Huahin immigration ?
Yes thanks,when I stay here under 90 days I have a 60 days visa and go to Huahin immigration and get 30 days, there but this time I stay 83 days so got 2 x 60 days in denmark.

:cheers: :cheers:
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

dtaai-maai wrote:As I understand it, a visa run is when you go to the Thai Embassy/Consulate in another country to get a new visa. A border run (re-entry as bsdk means it) is simply a quick return crossing to get another 60 days within the terms of your existing visa or a 15/30 day stamp (visa-on-entry).

I have a 12 month extension of stay as a work permit holder. If I want to leave and return during that year, I need a re-entry permit from Immigration before I leave. If I don't have that when I return, I will have to enter as a visitor and go through the whole tedious process with immigration. The same applies for those with extensions of stay on the basis of retirement, marriage, etc.

yes thats what I normally do in Ranong and will definitely try Kanchanaburi border this time.
thanks again everyone for your help,appreciate it.

lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

A visa is a visa and is normally applied for and granted at a Thai Embassy or consulate. That normally means abroad.
A 30 day, or now it seems 15 day run, is exactly that. A border run. No visa is involved at all. That type of permit is known as a visa exempt stamp and is available to most western nationalities.
"Visa exempt" = no visa.
You also do a border run when activating a portion of a visa that has more than one entry. Be careful that the visa itself is still valid before a run is done.
The legislation that has been passed limits the number of times a person can do a border run. It's up to Imm how they see it but essentially they reckon that those who do more runs than their "allowance" must be working illegally as they can't have the money otherwise.
It's a shame that those under 50 or not married to a Thai are tarnished with that brush. But there you go.
leither69

Kanhanaburi

Post by leither69 »

I've ben let down today with a lift to Kanchanaburi to get a visa aaarrrrggg, anyway, advice please guys

1. recommendation for taxi to get there please
2. will I be able to get transport from Kanchanaburi to the border crossing

I have a hotel booked so want to take advantage of the nights stay (if possible)

Thanks in advance guys

John
bsdk1960
Ace
Ace

Post by bsdk1960 »

Try this guy's number maybe his availible,used him in the past before airport bus ,nice car,decent english and drive good.

Ae mobil number: 0830413133

leither69

Post by leither69 »

Thanks very much
leither69

Kanchanaburi Visa Closed

Post by leither69 »

Today I went for a visa stamp for my triple entry, when I arrived I was turned back by the Polce Officer, he told me only Burmese Nationals would get through, even trieda financial inducement but was haqving nothing to do with it. I was the only farang there so the word must be out (unless 8.30 is early for arrivals)

On another note, I know I can extend my current tourist visa atHH immigration. Do I just turn up and wait or do I need to complete formms etc

Cheers

John
lomuamart

Re: Kanchanaburi Visa Closed

Post by lomuamart »

The 30 day extension to a tourist visa costs 1,900 THB and you fill in form TM7. Those are obtained at Imm and are easy to fill in. Take a queue number and do it while you wait Remember some passport photos. Wait your turn and walk out with another 30 days.
It's easy.
leither69

Re: Kanchanaburi Visa Closed

Post by leither69 »

Thanks, lifesaver after today, I wanted the 60 day, that would give me time for money in bank to be over 3 month , then go for non o. Will still have to leave the country after 30 day extension and get a stamp on the triple entry, anyway mai pen rai

Thanks for advice
buksida

Post by buksida »

You cannot enter Burma without a Burma visa, you also cant get visa extensions at the border, the passport border run is something slightly different though - can you clarify that you just wanted to do an "in-out" with your passport and were refused at Phu Nam Ron?
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
leither69

Post by leither69 »

Yes, I explained this and showed the guard my triple entry on my passport, told him I wanted a stamp (I never discussed extensions, that was another subject in my original post), he told me they will not do, he told me the law has changed, "no more stamps"
dozer
Ace
Ace

Post by dozer »

I was speaking to a couple of guys at the driving range on Saturday and they mentioned that they were going on a visa run to Ranong. I told them that there is one available in Kanchanaburi now and they said they had been told as from last week it was only a crossing for Burmese.
Atheists have no need of a god. Our lives are not based on fear or guilt. We are moral because we know it's right.

Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity. R J Hanlon
leither69

Post by leither69 »

If you read my post properly it explains this quite clearly
leither69

Post by leither69 »

dozer wrote:I was speaking to a couple of guys at the driving range on Saturday and they mentioned that they were going on a visa run to Ranong. I told them that there is one available in Kanchanaburi now and they said they had been told as from last week it was only a crossing for Burmese.
It would have been good if this had been mentioned before, would have saved me a right few quid?
buksida

Post by buksida »

This must be a very recent border closure if true, I'll ask some of the Kanchan boys to confirm it.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson