Visa run crackdown; 3 strikes and you are out

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Re: Visa run crackdown; 3 strikes and you are out

Post by buksida »

Missing MH370 ‘behind visa run crackdown’. Fingerprints next?

Pol Lt Col Tauthong Thitchai of Surin Immigration, in whose territory is the busy Chong Jom crossing into Cambodia, told The Phuket News today, “Bangkok Immigration published an order to be more strict. All immigration officers have to do the same.

“The main reason is the lost Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.” Two people on that flight were carrying passports reported lost or stolen in Phuket.

“So Thailand is being watched by other countries because the passports went missing in Thailand. And Immigration [in Bangkok] felt they had to do something about this. Yes, we have to do it.”

Another officer contacted by The Phuket News warned that border crossings may now involve the taking of fingerprints.

The Deputy Superintendent of Immigration Police in Mukhdahan Province, which is linked to Laos by the Second Thai-Lao Friendship Bridge, said, “We will be strict in our checking of [tourists] and we will add a fingerprinting process for checking people.”

He explained that this was because the current blacklist of people barred from Thailand comprises only names “and we can’t check if someone changes their name.

“But with fingerprints we can check and identify people. All the information will be linked through a central Immigration database.”

http://www.thephuketnews.com/missing-mh ... -46232.php
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Roel
Guru
Guru

Post by Roel »

Crackdown on border runs:
“The main reason is the lost Malaysian Airlines flight MH370.” Two people on that flight were carrying passports reported lost or stolen in Phuket.

Causality between problem and solution makes perfect (Thai) sense again.

Although fingerprints is a good idea.

By the way Thais illegally working in Singapore, Japan and Korea simply change their name after being deported. Thais can change their name in a few minutes. No questions asked. Given name that is, not sure about surname.

Do not know about other countries but in the Netherlands I need a very good reason to get my name changed. But I can imagine it is a lot easier in the Middle East and Eastern Europe. So fingerprints would be good. Although the professional ATM skimmer gangs will have no trouble continuously recruiting fresh volunteers.
We are all living in 'the good old days' of the future.
Gérard
Professional
Professional

Post by Gérard »

PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Reading these articles now, and others, I'm starting to think that a part of all this, maybe a big part, is the first steps leading up to control over the 2015 ASEAN agreement. They may really be more concerned with local people from neighboring countries than they are about other types, but of course they can't say that. Just a hunch. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

Looking at this link, it seems the new rule may have an element of flexibility http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... ad-image-0
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Prcscct, good thinking. I am sure that workers flooding in from neighboring countries is their number one, long term concern
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

More explanation, examples and interviews. Pete

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/securit ... s-targeted
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
SpitfireMk3
Amateur
Amateur

Post by SpitfireMk3 »

Prcscct, you are probably right. Just like in Western EU where there are a lot of concern about cheap labour from eastern Europe. Very likely the same worries. But the Thai government should step carefully, there are many illegal Thais working in other countries - it might backfire.
buksida

Post by buksida »

Border insecurity mounts as tourist visa abuse is targeted

The Immigration Bureau's tough stance is mainly aimed at South Koreans, Russians and Vietnamese working in Thailand illegally, but could affect any nationality.

The chief of the Immigration Bureau said abuse of tourist visas by South Koreans, Russians and Vietnamese working illegally in Thailand was the main motivation for cracking down on cross-border visa runs.

On May 8, the bureau announced that immigration border checkpoints would no longer allow out-in visa runs for visitors to extend their stay other than for the purpose of tourism, in reality, an enforcement of existing laws.

Visa runs have fuelled a thriving business at popular tourist spots around the country. Typically, for a 2,000 baht fee, a minibus carries a visitor to a nearby border crossing, allows the foreigner to alight, and then takes him or her to a Thai immigration checkpoint where they have their passports stamped and stays extended.

Immigration officials have long expressed concerns that the visa runs are being abused by foreigners who are working illegally in Thailand as language teachers, restaurant owners and staff, real estate agents and tour guides.

Immigration Bureau Commissioner Pol Lt Gen Pharnu Kerdlarpphon told Spectrum that if foreigners wanted to retire, work or do business in Thailand they had to apply for the correct type of visa and not exploit those designated for tourists. We have been too kind, for too long, and the system has been abused, he said. Also, work visas, which cost 1,900 baht, help generate income and we have to make money somehow.

Pol Lt Gen Pharnu said South Koreans were the biggest abusers of the visa runs. The Thai government has a reciprocal arrangement with South Korea which allows nationals to stay in the country for 90 days on arrival.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/securit ... s-targeted
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

I am surprised, I have been in Thai a while and have never been aware of many Koreans here except golf tourists. I wonder where they are working illegally.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

I do a bit of Film work on the side(extra work/Background when I am in country) in Thailand and I have noticed a huge influx of Russian Models/actors/and makeup people looking for work in Bangkok and wonder about how they do it with out permits or a proper visa. I guess their time is coming.
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
TingTongJohn
Professional
Professional

Post by TingTongJohn »

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-new ... visa/29391

I am not trying to pick on one group just something I read recently.
One word is not a story but it is the beginning and end of one.
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

TingTongJohn wrote:I do a bit of Film work on the side(extra work/Background when I am in country) in Thailand and I have noticed a huge influx of Russian Models/actors/and makeup people looking for work in Bangkok and wonder about how they do it with out permits or a proper visa. I guess their time is coming.
My eldest daughters partner is a film guy. Does pre-film stunt work, backgrounds and then main camera work all over the globe. All work is clearly defined and cleared with the relevant countries authorities beforehand. He's currently in Viet Nam shooting background and special effects for the upcoming new Peter Pan movie in 2015. He's had his crew shoot in Thailand and the paperwork involved is all signed and sealed before they set foot in Thailand. Has to be too as tons of equipment is in need of clearance for entry and exit.

However, models, actors etc who are merely here on projects run by Thais may be doing it 'on the wing'
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

This pretty much make the new rules and who is affected clear:

"It is quite common knowledge now that as from 2 weeks ago the Thai Immigration Bureau have had a major crackdown on tourists and residents crossing land borders.

The reasons are clear it is to tighten their borders and stop foreigners living in Thailand without a proper long stay visa and in their words some are working in Thailand illegally and using the border crossings as an easy way to stay under the radar and live a life in Thailand. This rule is not knew it has been around for some time it is now being enforced more strongly.

The crackdown rule is fairly simple to understand for example if you enter Thailand on a 30 day visa on arrival you are permitted to cross a land border and then re enter Thailand on two occasions making your total stay 90 days, if you have made more than two back to back border land crossings you are probably going to be turned away.

If you have been in Thailand for a long time using different methods to stay in the Kingdom including long extensions or getting a number of tourist visa 60 days from Thai consulates surrounding Thailand you will probably also be turned away as the officer makes his decision on the amount of time and visas you have in your passport.

If you are staying in Thailand on a Non Immigrant visa multiple entry meaning you cross the border every 90 days or if you have a 2 entry or 3 entry tourist visa from your home Country then this new rule does not affect you it only affects Foreigners who do not have a visa in their passport.

If you are coming in and out of the airport e.g. you work offshore and you are a frequent traveler through the airport then you should not be affected.

OK what can you do? If you are planning to come to Thailand for a stay longer than 60 days then obtain a visa from a Thai Consulate in your home Country before you arrive most will allow you to do by the post.

If you need to go to the border on the 2 permitted land crossings then take with you your return ticket so you can show the officer your expected departure date and also something which shows were you are staying in Thailand.

These enforced rules are there to stop foreigners border hopping and forces residents to obtain a more permanent visa to live in Thailand which really should be the case anyway.

In layman terms 90 days including your free 30 day visa is permitted, but try and get a visa from a Thai Consulate before coming to Thailand your life will be so much easier."

Source: http://www.keyvisathailand.com/visa-and ... nderstood/
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

Jeeze,
The above can't even get the basics correct.
The 30 day entry is not a "visa" or a "visa on arrival". Almost all western nationalities are permitted entry to The Kingdom without a visa. This is the 30 day visa exempt stamp that the article refers to.
The 30 day entry stamp is not a visa.
The rest of the spiel is probably pretty accurate in as much as Imm officers will consider whether a person is outstaying their welcome by remaining in The Kingdom using these free entries. However, as the edict is recent, there's no real acid test yet.
Personally, if I was doing the border runs every 30 days, I'd take evidence that I had an income from abroad (there are no hard and fast rules about the amount of income but at least it goes some way to demonstrate that you can support yourself without working illegally). A ticket of some sort out of the country would also help, even is that can be cancelled.
Essentially, the above article conveys the "spirit" of the current mindset but it is inaccurate with its terminology.