Birthday bans on selling alcohol lifted

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
buksida

Birthday bans on selling alcohol lifted

Post by buksida »

Interior Ministry revokes its order which bans selling of alcohol on the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and Queen and other royal family members.

Sura-art Tongniramon, deputy permanent secretary for interior said that the ministry, has received several complaints from business operators of alcoholic drinks as well as owners of entertainment places that they suffered from the old order.

The ministry decided to revoke the order after being informed by the Royal Household Bureau that it does not have policy to prohibit the sales of the alcoholic drinks on the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and the Queen and those of the royal family members.

The ministry then informed the decision to all governors.

Source: The Nation
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
PeteC

Re: Birthday bans on selling alcohol lifted

Post by PeteC »

buksida wrote:Interior Ministry revokes its order which bans selling of alcohol on the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and Queen and other royal family members.

Sura-art Tongniramon, deputy permanent secretary for interior said that the ministry, has received several complaints from business operators of alcoholic drinks as well as owners of entertainment places that they suffered from the old order.

The ministry decided to revoke the order after being informed by the Royal Household Bureau that it does not have policy to prohibit the sales of the alcoholic drinks on the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and the Queen and those of the royal family members.

I love it. Another Thaksinism dashed on the rocks. "To show respect, we are banning sales...". This guy is/was a sly mother. Pete
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Does anyone think this might be the beginning of the end for the "hidden cigarettes" or the 11-2, 5-midnight sale of alcohol rule? Hope so. I don't smoke, but I always seem to be in the supermarket at 3pm, unable to buy beer or wine. Silly, seeing as you can buy lao khao at any corner store at any time for 5 baht a shot! I've even seen kids being served that stuff!
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Rider
Ace
Ace

Re: Birthday bans on selling alcohol lifted

Post by Rider »

buksida wrote:Interior Ministry revokes its order which bans selling of alcohol on the birthdays of Their Majesties the King and Queen and other royal family members.

Yaaaay! :cheers:
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

Moving to the right direction. What about the laws of banning alcohol sales between 00.00- and what ever it is and in the afternoon as well as selling gasoline at night time? Could we get rid of them as well, please.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think we'll still see bars closed on elections days. That law has been around long before Thaksin. I think the law not to sell booze in gas station convenience stores is good also. As BG states, I would hope though to see the morning and afternoon selling ban lifted, it doesn't make any sense and is simply an inconvenience as a person can go to small shops and distributors and get anything at any hour. The law simply wastes fuel, not cut down on drinking. Pete :cheers:
dr dave soul monsta
Deceased
Deceased

Post by dr dave soul monsta »

stoping selling fuel was the most ridiculas thing i ever heard of ,,,
the best timeand most economical to travel here is after dark if you wish to avoid huge jams in the city
NB i will not purchase fuel from any PTT station
"I don't often agree with the RSPCA as i believe it is an animals duty to be on my plate at supper time"
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I agree with Dr. Dave on the fuel thing, I can’t even remember why they brought that law in, what was it supposed to stop, apart from your car? As Dave says, traveling through the night is the best way of getting through Bangkok and even if you have enough fuel, it’s a pain not having gas stations open for anything else you might need on the journey.