Champions League 2013-14

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Re: Champions League 2013-14

Post by Zidane »

Decent enough draw for United although Bayern had all the possession 26%-74%.
Welbeck had a good goal harshly ruled out and missed a decent one on one chance.
So not the hammering many United fans had been fearing but I think they will be very much up against it in the second leg.
We're all on our uppers,we're all going skint,
I used to suck fat cigars but now I suck Polo mints.
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

I think United should be congratulated for a good game plan, every other english team have been battered at home
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

I'd forgotten about this game until I saw Z's post.

Robbie Savage's verdict...
It was a very very good performance by United, there were a lot of positives to take for David Moyes. I think United could actually be disappointed with a draw, based on chances created.
The stats:
Possession: 26% - 74% :shock:
Shots: 6 - 16
Corners: 3 - 6

I'll have to watch the game myself and see where this very very good performance was squeezed in!
This is the way
blue05
Guru
Guru

Post by blue05 »

dtaai-maai wrote:I'd forgotten about this game until I saw Z's post.

Robbie Savage's verdict...
It was a very very good performance by United, there were a lot of positives to take for David Moyes. I think United could actually be disappointed with a draw, based on chances created.
The stats:
Possession: 26% - 74% :shock:
Shots: 6 - 16
Corners: 3 - 6

I'll have to watch the game myself and see where this very very good performance was squeezed in!
celtic beat barcelona with 15% possesion, united had 2-3 good scoring chances
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

My verdict is Manure played the almost perfect game against that style of play. I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Not the walkover that many predicted.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 0 - 1 Preston NE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Points 41; Position 18
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I thought it an interesting game, although not particularly exciting. Moye's reverted to Everton tactics, which was probably correct, as they had two lines of four pretty much behind the ball at all times when Bayern were in possession.

I thought Bayern were poor. With 2/3 exceptions they looked very pedestrian and happy to stroke the ball around without really threatening. I thought they needed to play with more pace and I think if they had done, they would have been more effective.

Still, all credit to United and it makes for an interesting 2nd leg.
Talk is cheap
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Tough for Chelsea now,but they still have a chance......why have Schurrle playing in the lone strikers role ? :o
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Of the four ties, only Real Madrid look a sure bet for the semis.

Munich/manure & Barca/Atletico are finely balanced at 1-1 each.
Just takes a big performance from either side.

Chelsk have a bit to do, though I don't believe as big a task as some are making out.
That third goal was a bit of a blow, but a 2-0 home win would be enough & is achievable.

:cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

I thought last nights 2nd half performance the worst I have seen since we got shot of Villas-Boas.

We were on top in the 1st half and I thought we would go on to win the game, but the 2nd half was a no-show and I can't really see what PSG did to change it? Really poor as was the defending for the 3rd goal.

To be honest, the seasons gone a bit flat for us over the last few weeks and as ever our weak link is not having an effective strike force. I think they'll be a big clear out at the Bridge at the end of the season and I see some top quality arriving.
Talk is cheap
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Yes,the likes of Nani and Ashley Young could be available for Chelsea in the summer ! :wink:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Well, we did it, but it was hard to watch as the tension was unbearable!

It wasn't pretty but I think it was just sheer willpower that took us through. We were just so determined. When we hit the bar twice within a few minutes midway through the 2nd half, I was thinking that was our chance, we needed one of those to go in.

And then having our three forwards on the pitch at the same time left us very exposed to counter-attacks, but PSG never really looked like they would take advantage of that and then Demba Ba, of all players pops up to grab the winner. Great stuff.

Lot's of nice messages on a few boards praising our spirit and will to win. Some Arsenal fans sadly lamenting their own side / manager by comparison.

Hopefully, this will spur us on to a strong finish to the season - hope so! :D
Talk is cheap
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Ba was quite a prolific striker with Newcastle for about 2-3 seasons. I don't know why they ever let him go, except perhaps some conflicts with Cisse(sp) who they signed. When they did that, Ba performance went into the crapper. Where the hell is Cisse now as well...who knows. Pete
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Congrats to Chelsea.....lucky Real Madrid !
Good luck to United tonight but my expectations are low.

Cisse is still at Newcastle,pete.....this season,2 goals in 22 matches in the Premiership......the sort of form that could make him a target for Spurs in the close season ! :laugh:
Zidane
Guru
Guru

Post by Zidane »

Atletico Madrid v Chelsea
Real Madrid v Bayern Munich

About the best draw Chelsea could have got with the second leg being at Stamford Bridge.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

Zidane wrote:Atletico Madrid v Chelsea
Real Madrid v Bayern Munich

About the best draw Chelsea could have got with the second leg being at Stamford Bridge.
On current form, surely Athletico are favourites, they sit at the top of the La Liga and have just dispatched Barcelona. But as Jose himself said, whoever they got paired against would be a very good team, so no easy route to the final. Good luck anyway.