I think my fridge needs a re-gas

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
iffog1
Novice
Novice

I think my fridge needs a re-gas

Post by iffog1 »

I have a Fisher & Paykal two door fridge brought up from Aus.... I believe it needs to be re-gassed and would like to know who to contact .... anyone had this done here etc etc... all info gratefully received :thanks:
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: I think my fridge needs a re-gas

Post by Nereus »

Has it worked here since you shipped it? It is highly unlikely to need a re-gas unless it has obvious phyiscal damage to either the internal evaporator, or the external condensor. They have a hermeticaly sealed refrigerant system that does not have service valves fitted to the system, and are not designed to be "re-gassed". They also use a "fuzzy logic" control system, which can and does fail.

Better to contact the agents after the holdays. They have a service center in Bangkok.

http://www.fisherpaykel.com/asia/store-locator/
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
iffog1
Novice
Novice

Post by iffog1 »

Yes it's been working well since it arrived here Nov 2011.... makes noises like it's trying to free itself of ice ?? then eventually you hear something 'fall' (more like a 'clunk' ) and it is quiet again for a while. The noise stops when the door is opened - obviously that's not a good option :P
Tks for the link - will contact them, as you suggest, after the holidays.
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

Noise could be the internal evaporator fan catching on ice. The fan stops running when the door is opened in many refrigerators.If ice builds up air flow is reduced and the fridge may not get cold enough.
I suggest defrosting the unit as a build up of ice can be caused by simply leaving the door opened too long. If this does not solve the problem then I agree the control system pcb or associated components are faulty and unlikely to be anything to do with gas.
no more dePreston
iffog1
Novice
Novice

Post by iffog1 »

Tks poosmate - fridge is off now for the duration... haven't had an issue with it being cold enough though.... I do hope it's salvageable - it's a great unit and in mint condition.... :(
poosmate
Ace
Ace

Post by poosmate »

If temperature is okay then gas is definably not the culprit. May just be the fan motor or a loose fan blade. Not usually difficult to remove the rear inside panel and look.
no more dePreston
iffog1
Novice
Novice

Post by iffog1 »

Appreciate your input poosmate.... when things settle I will arrange for a peek in the back and see what's what....
Then there will probably be more questions like where to get bits 'n pieces!!