Recent Internet Speeds

Technology, computers, internet, websites, mobiles, cameras, audio and video.
SPONSORS: Hua Hin Web Design
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Re: Recent Internet Speeds

Post by Dannie Boy »

Frank Hovis wrote:@Dannie Boy, are you on TOT or 3BB ?
3BB, the cost is 590 a month for 9 or 10 mb download.
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

Frank, you mentioned you've used a Proxy before.

My experience says that Thai ISPs throttle all http traffic over non standard ports - so if you're using a proxy server and it's on a different port - that will account for the speed issues. Of course it also means you're forcing all traffic down the international pipeline.

If you're using a VPN things get even worse. This is absolutely the slowest way to use the internet as your traffic is throttled even further. If you *need* to use a VPN for work or to access at network back in your homeland, make sure you've got it configured to *not* use the default gateway - this will give you access to the machines on the network without forcing all your external traffic through their router.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Pleng, Yes, I do use a VPN but it's set NOT to be the default gateway so definitely isn't the problem.
This morning downloads speeds have been around 6-7Mb (to singapore) and my IP address is still in the 180.180.x.x. range.
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

Yesterday my router switched back to my normal 125.27.x.x Hua Hin supplied IP Address and I've been getting 7Mb downloads since then, not quite the 10Mb TOT advertise but that's not a problem.

It would appear it was some sort of TOT issue.
When I was on the 180.180.x.x address it was taking 16 hops to get out of the TOT network (on the way to singtel.com), now on the 125.27.x.x range it only takes 9 hops to get out.

Thanks to everyone for their help. I'm tempted to switch to 3BB but sometimes I think 'better the devil you know'.
Awu

Post by Awu »

When you test internet speed from here you can not expect to get full speed to sites i Europe.
To check your internet you shall use for ex 3bb´s test at http://speedtest.3bb.co.th/
I have adsl 13/1 and sometime every week my speed drops down to 2 mb, then it´s time to reboot the router.
Attachments
3bb_test.png
Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

When you test internet speed from here you can not expect to get full speed to sites i Europe.
Obviously this is somewhat true, however I've just tried TOT's own speed test site and got 7.75Mbps then speedtest.net to :

Telstra, Sydney and got 6.59Mbps, not much of a difference.
Alcocac, Tokyo gives an even more impressive 7.38Mbps.
Vodafone, London at 7.55Mbps is astonishing.
SpeedTest themselves in Washington score 6.52Mpbs

3BBs own speedtest page says 7.83 Mbps

How accurate these are I have no idea but I'm just happy to be back at speeds faster than dialup.
LolaBeltran
Professional
Professional

Post by LolaBeltran »

Not a techie here and not sure speed is what my problem is:
I have the 3BB 590 baht a month service. It has been PERFECT for over a year not a single slowdown or problem. Now here is what happens.

I use Firefox. After being online for 30 to 50 minutes, Firefox starts to slowdown and protest finally quitting altogether. Closing Firefox and then starting up again seems to work but it never used to do this no matter how many sites I had open.

So. . . .is it Firefox, #BB doing something weird, my computer, hackers sending out a million spams from my IP or some combo of the above?

Related to this: Windows had been updating SOMETHING every time I close down these days. Why does an already installed program need to "update" in the first place? Cant I tell them NOT to do this? I have to wait until they have finished before I leave my office and last night i got bored with that, left with the intention to return and my router stayed on all night.

Thanks for any advice or clarification guys!
buksida

Post by buksida »

Do you have any toolbars and crap installed on Firefox than could be slowing it (and your connection) down?

If so open the Firefox Add-ons windows and delete them all. Suggest you scan and clean malware also using Spybot.

Internet connections all over seem to have been crankier than usual lately so they're probably putting another layer on the Thai firewall again.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
barry720

Post by barry720 »

I use 3bb for iptv (miage). I'm at 16mb. Works fine all day except from about 8pm till 12. Tech said I live 1 km, from box so signal is not good and at night too many people on line so signal goes down. Any suggestions from you guys with more experience.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

About a month back I ordered a 3BB optic cable 30M line to my lair (1200 THB/month, one year in advance). As usual I got superb service and attitude from both the office personnel (opposite the Condo Chain) and the installation technicians. On ordering 3BB crew informed me that the optic line will be installed the very next day but the actual commencing of the services will be about a month away.

So today I got the works and here are the results of the first day of speed orgy compared to the earlier 3M ADSL I had.

"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Hi Farang, I'd say the latency results for today are dubious to say the least, - 5 or 6 ms to London and SF are completely impossible. Hint: speed of light (fastest possible speed theoretically attainable - and that's in a vacuum not copper and fiber) is approx 186,000 miles per second, or 300,000 km/sec. You do the maths. :)

The real measure will be how fast actual real downloads of files are. I'm sure they'll be much better than with your old link though. Do you know if there are any download limits on your internet package at all? Anyhow, please let us know how fast your file downloads are.

Cheers.
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

I'll give you more info and experiences as I've gotten them.
I'll post more statistics of the DL's and times required for them.
"There's no plausible or convincing reason, certainly no evidential one, to believe that there is such an entity (= deity) and that all observable phenomena, including the cosmological ones... are explicable without the hypothesis; you don't need the assumption."
Farang
Ace
Ace

Post by Farang »

So far the net speeds have bee quite mixed a bag, mostly slow speeds. Having said that I have downloaded something like 20 G last night.

Some examples:

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a51 ... aac923.jpg

Frank Hovis
Legend
Legend

Post by Frank Hovis »

My TOT broadband has plunged again, down to 300Kbps which is less than my upload speed.
Probably a wire dangling in a flooded area somewhere.
Gregjam
Ace
Ace

Post by Gregjam »

My TOT 10MBPS link has been very unreliable in the past week even after the technician visited and was a bit put out when I showed him that one minute it was working and the next not. Still had a connection throughout the flooding but this morning it was back to the usual slow or zero. I am allowing for perhaps some repairs but speeds do seem to change unpredictably with one minute getting 10 and the next nothing. When the technician came (I suspect that is rather a grand title for him) he did the test on the TOT site and got 10 MBPS download and then it lost the signal for the upload. I will give it a few days and then try again as I now have an AIS 3G pocket wifi unit as a backup when I really want the internet. Otherwise it is an excuse to play Crysis or some other game.