Soi 80 Bar Owner Commits Suicide

Local Hua Hin and regional Thailand news articles and discussion.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Soi 80 Bar Owner Commits Suicide

Post by JimmyGreaves »

In the recent edition of the Hua Hin thai bi-weekly newspaper front page talks about (with body image) an English bar owner on the soi who committed suicide because no money, no business, girlfriend doing a runner from him. Very sad story. Has this been covered?
Last edited by JimmyGreaves on Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
buksida

Re: Soi 80 Bar Owner Commits Suicide

Post by buksida »

It has now, anymore information? (An official news report would be preferable).
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
sand_dancer
Guru
Guru

Post by sand_dancer »

Do not know the unfortunate guy.....

Hope you can now Rest in Peace fella.....
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I've found this http://www.dailynews.co.th/thailand/231489 (unfortunately in Thai), which seems to confirm JG's story.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Very sad and unfortunate, but as we all know, he won't be the last one to choose that sort of exit. Some people can get knocked down a million times and they just keep getting back up. Others, unfortunately, aren't able to cope as well. It's really a shame because even the darkest day ends up with sunshine if you give it time.

I recently lost one of the closest friends I've had to suicide, and in my heart I know that if he hadn't taken that final step on the day, he would probably still have been here.

:(
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

What a shocking story but one that is so common amongst many Foreigners, not the committing suicide but losing so much when in Thailand.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

Very sad story rest in peace.

Kendo.
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
barrys
Legend
Legend

Post by barrys »

I knew Kevin reasonably well for a number of years but had not seen him for quite a while.

The newspaper reports are inaccurate, though.
He did have a bar on Soi 80 some years ago (next to the Harley Bar) when he was with Manee.
She left him but he still kept the bar.
Eventually he was able to sell the bar and keep the proceeds.
Once that money had gone, he apparently did not have any more savings or income.
He always lived in rented accommodation here in HH, finally renting a small apartment on Soi 80 almost opposite his old bar.
So this was not a case of some unscrupulous Thai woman ripping off all his assets.

It would appear that Kevin could not see any way out of his situation of not having any money.
He was found by Fish & Chips Barry in his apartment on Soi 80 with the suicide note and everyone was quite shocked.
He was a quiet sort of a guy and we used to have some interesting chats when he still had his bar.

RIP Kev
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

i don't know the man and i hope he rests in peace,but it does seem an unusual way for a male to commit suicide, overdosing while naked from what i have read in the past on the subject highly unusual( i was researching suicides for a paper a few years back)
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Takiap wrote:Very sad and unfortunate, but as we all know, he won't be the last one to choose that sort of exit. Some people can get knocked down a million times and they just keep getting back up. Others, unfortunately, aren't able to cope as well. It's really a shame because even the darkest day ends up with sunshine if you give it time.
Maybe in this instance, but it's not always the case.
Maybe he just didn't feel the need to cope any longer, who really knows.

May he now rest in peace.
I recently lost one of the closest friends I've had to suicide, and in my heart I know that if he hadn't taken that final step on the day, he would probably still have been here.
Without sounding rude, is there something missing from this paragraph?
It seems a bit obvious, without reason :| or am i reading wrong?
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I didn't know Kevin, and I obviously feel bad for him and his friends and loved ones and hope he is at peace in a better place now, but I have to say that I have considered the same option many times in my years here and I think it is a fairly common way to exit this country by expats if you read the national news. The only things that have stopped me are a sense of responsibility to my family and cowardice.... :cry:
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
malct
Rookie
Rookie

Post by malct »

Did he own a sports bar and sell Fish n Chips about 2 years ago? the bar was on a corner. I remember talking to a Bar owner who was telling me his story while watching the Singapore F1 race
alleykat
Professional
Professional

Post by alleykat »

malct wrote:Did he own a sports bar and sell Fish n Chips about 2 years ago? the bar was on a corner. I remember talking to a Bar owner who was telling me his story while watching the Singapore F1 race
No, not the same guy.

If it is the Kevin that barrys said, then I knew him fairly well a few years ago but not of late. However I thought that Kevin had a different surname. He ended up living in a small room opposite The Clansman.

He set up the original Manee Bar, between what are now the Night Owl and Harley Bars. Then when his relationship with Manee ended he changed the name to Pip's Bar. The bar did not do very well, and quite often you would see Kevin sitting alone there. He used to say that he had spent a lot of his money when he was living on Samui. In fact he often told people he had no money.
But he still managed to drink like fish daily, beer.

RIP Kevin (Eastern Scotsman)
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

redzonerocker wrote:
Without sounding rude, is there something missing from this paragraph?
It seems a bit obvious, without reason :| or am i reading wrong?
The way I'm reading it is that if he hadn't done it on that particular day, then (for whatever reason) moving forward he would not have again felt the need to. I could be completely wrong, of course!
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

Pleng wrote:
The way I'm reading it is that if he hadn't done it on that particular day, then (for whatever reason) moving forward he would not have again felt the need to. I could be completely wrong, of course!
Could be a simple typo of using 'the' instead of 'that' day then ?
I'm sure Takiap will put us right in due course. :cheers:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.