Bangkok attractions for kids

Bangkok and beyond, travel talk on all other places in Thailand and Southeast Asia.
SPONSORS: Bang Saphan Guide
buksida

Bangkok attractions for kids

Post by buksida »

Need to spend a few days in the big smoke and will be taking the tribe. The attraction for me will be the Honda Big Wing shop, but would like to take the kids to a few places also such as the cinema (because they've never been to one!).

What would you recommend for an 8 and 6 year old (preferably places that do not practice the dual pricing bullshit)? Have looked at the Safari World and Siam Ocean World which look promising.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
thepalmbistro
Professional
Professional

Re: Bangkok attractions for kids

Post by thepalmbistro »

Safari world is good but I would get there early as it gets really busy with tour groups (the big groups which have the leaders carrying a flag). If someone offers to organize the tickets before you get there dont bother as we did that but then you still have to line up at the window with your receipt to get your tickets with all the other tour guides. The show sets are a little old but not a bad day out and the food is not a bad price either. The safari bit of safari would is better, massive area to drive around and some of the lions and tigers are massive. A full day out.
Siam ocean world pricey for a family of four, but very well designed and kept to good standards,
Another place if its raining is Funarium on Rama 4 by Big C. Indoor play area, very clean has big indoor play area and rollerblading and cycle track, with other activities, food mixture of Westen and thai relatively priced but would not advise going if you had a few too many the night before or just take your ear plugs. Weekday unlimited play unless bank holiday, weekend 3 hours time limit, great place if your kids have a lot of energy to burn.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

I have heard people recommend Dreamworld, or at least that's what I it's called. There's also a large Imax cinema somewhere in the big mango.

What about a visit to the Bangkok Zoo? I'm not too keen on zoos myself, but kids usually enjoy going to them, and don't be surprised if you get asked a million and one questions.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Most of my time spent there was when I was free and single.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Hezze
Amateur
Amateur

Post by Hezze »

I have 3 kids. 8,7 and 5 years old.
Funarium: return again and again and never gets boring. Bring Internet device.
Safari: great place once but no need to return frequently.
Siam ocean world, Madame Tussaud's combo: Well done but limited excitement.
Kidzania: different, looks more fun at pictures after, than I remember it being.
Suan Siam waterpark: empty when we visited so I thought it was equal fun to Black Mountain.
jingjoe
Guru
Guru

Post by jingjoe »

siam ocean world if its the one under paragon shopping centre is a good half day out,I went with my thai gf, and they asked if i worked in thailand,i showed my drivers license and got 50% off advertised price as did gf(maybe price advertised is for tourists)
VincentD
Ace
Ace

Post by VincentD »

Are you driving, or do you have to depend on public transport? Makes a difference.

Safari World is nice, but you will walk a lot. A bit out of town towards Minburi. Think of it as a large zoo with animal/hollywood style shows. The safari side is best appreciated in your own car, but they do have buses. They are two seperate areas, so are priced seperately. Had annual membership before, but now the kids are grown I haven't been for quite a while. Go early.
Fashion Island is just around the corner, public transport to Safari World starts from here. It's a large mall with a couple of cinemas too. Big C, Robinsons, Homepro and most of the food chains are there. Lots of other shopping too, a whole floor is dedicated to IT/ mobile phone products. Not a lot of variety, but a good place to escape the heat if you have time on your hands.

Siam Park (Thai : Suan Siam) has a water park but have not been recently. Has some mild rides that could appeal to younger kids. Gets quite crowded at times, esp weekends. It's a little further down the road from Fashion Island heading towards Minburi.

Dream World is a bit out of the way on the Rangsit /Nakorn Nayok road. It's mainly thrill rides so may not appeal as much to kids at that age.

Not been to Siam Ocean World.

Indoor go-kart circuit at RCA plaza, off Petchburi Road. easykart.net. Prices 400B+ for 8 minutes :shock: There used to be a big bike shop (Also on RCA - Royal City Avenue) towards Rama 9 Road, but I think mainly Harleys so maybe not so appealing? :)
วินเชนท์
hhinner
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by hhinner »

Siam Ocean World has special pricing for residents. Check out the web site for special promotions and details about what you need to take to prove residence in Thailand. Online booking looks like more than 50% off for residents over non-residents.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Don't forget ice skating as a time filler and probably something they've never done before. At least 5 places per below link. Pete :cheers:

http://www.bangkok.com/sport-ice-skating.htm

EDIT: Look at the bottom of that link for more listings of activities for kids.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Can recommend Siam Ocean World - there's also a freshwater exhibit - so you can get up and close with an Arapaima and a few others.

Chatuchak market is worth exploring for a few hours but can get hot.

The new Megamall complex at Bangna has a large ice rink and a huge IKEA - if you're after some furniture

The Major cineplex at Siam Paragon has a 4D cinema with additional, smell, movement and other effects - depending on the movie showing

You can also get up close to a Lambo or Ferrari in the Siam Paragon

If they've never sampled a metro trip, try out skytrain and the MRTA underground.

Don't forget the klong trips around the old picturesque parts - departing from adjacent to Sheraton riverside,
margaretcarnes
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by margaretcarnes »

They're probably not quite old enough to appreciate it yet Buksi - but I wonder how many Thai or even Thai/farang kids never get to see the Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha, or Temple of Dawn?
A sprout is for life - not just for Christmas.
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

margaretcarnes wrote:They're probably not quite old enough to appreciate it yet Buksi - but I wonder how many Thai or even Thai/farang kids never get to see the Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha, or Temple of Dawn?
In the same vain there is Vinmanmek mansion near to Dusit Zoo
Asia's largest allteak building and home to the early royals
An interesting slice of history and a nice place for a stroll
buksida

Post by buksida »

Thanks for all the replies, yes will be driving but probably leave the car in the apartment and cab it around the city since my navigational skills are shite.

Siam Ocean World looks like the go, especially since they have a non-tourist rate as well. It'll be a long weekend for Thais so hoping there is an exodus out of Bangkok!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
kendo
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by kendo »

I would recommend taking them to the Baiyoke Sky Hotel pay a cover charge to go to the top and it has a revolving roof deck with breath taking views also a nice panoramic bar restaurant.
This sky scraper is the tallest building in Thailand and is great to visit for a couple of hours for a few pics and refreshments.

Kendo. :cheers:
Is Bangkok a place or a nasty injury.......Eric Morcombe.

Proud to be a Southampton FC Fan.
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

According to this site a bike tour is the perfect way to explore Bangkok.

http://www.bangkokbikerides.com/
buksida

Post by buksida »

Well ... survived the Big Mango, here are a few observations.

I think we went to every shopping mall there ... Central World, MBK, Paragon, you name it. So much for it being quiet as everyone had gone to Hua Hin for the long weekend - not so, traffic was gridlocked and the place was heaving, mostly pretentious Thai youngsters showing off their brand new Benzes. These malls are impressive though, swimming parks, climbing walls and one even had an ice rink on the roof. Took the kids to the cinema to see Pacific Rim - unlike Hua Hin all movies are shown in Thai and original sound track.

Also went to Siam Ocean World though I wasn't too impressed with this place due to the sheer crowding, 80% of which were Chinese tourists snapping everything that moved with mobile phones. After an hours queue to get in (farang price 900, Thai 400, you get the latter if you can show you're resident here) we were bouncing off the hoards looking for aquariums. They had a glass bottom boat ride in the shark pool which the kids loved (another hours queue to get on that). We skipped the 5D cinema show as, after queuing for another hour, we were told that we had to swap tickets which involved another queue. Nothing like a bit of organisation and information ... did I mention that it was quite busy here?

People are obsessed with these smartphones, they dont look where they're going, don't talk to each other at the same table, just generally switched off from the world around them. These devices are turning humans into zombies.

Made the Ducati show, will post pics shortly, and made the Big Wing shop. Unlike Honda outlets in the provinces these guys were seriously professional, they all spoke fluent English, you could test ride the bikes, and it felt more like being in a top end hotel than a bike showroom.

It was a good couple of days but that was about the limit, nice to be back in the boonies again where I'm not hemorrhaging cash on a daily basis!