Minors on a Chanote

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Minors on a Chanote

Post by nanyang »

My daughter, aged 9, and my wife are on the two Chanote's 'we' have.
With a buyer on board I discover that the property cannot be sold without the court's permission.
We want to go to Europe for our daughter's education.
First lawyer's advice, "The court will need to know where you're going and which school she'll be attending!"
Moved on, quickly, to another lawyer.
Second lawyers advice, "Don't tell the court you're going to England as education is free there!"
I didn't bother to tell him that housing isn't free.
Have made an appointment to see a third lawyer next week.
I'll be interested to hear his view as to whether the house could be sold, more simply, if we just say we want to move to another area in Thailand -I'll leave out the education question :D .
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Minors on a Chanote

Post by Nereus »

Yes, that is correct. P.I.T.A., but it is there to protect the child. Best just to tell the court you are moving to a new place in Thailand and not mention why or where. The stumbling block will be just how long it takes to get a listing at the court, which will also depend on which area has jurisdiction. It could also be affected by your family structure: ie, marriage, legal parent etc.
Aren't Thai Lawyers great! Good luck.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
nanyang
Professional
Professional

Re: Minors on a Chanote

Post by nanyang »

Nereus wrote:Yes, that is correct. P.I.T.A., but it is there to protect the child. Best just to tell the court you are moving to a new place in Thailand and not mention why or where. The stumbling block will be just how long it takes to get a listing at the court, which will also depend on which area has jurisdiction. It could also be affected by your family structure: ie, marriage, legal parent etc.
Aren't Thai Lawyers great! Good luck.

Thanks, we've been married, Western style, for ten years and, as a family, want to move on.

I understand the need to protect the interests of the child and applaud that.

Patience is a virtue - very apt in the LOS.