Digging a Bore (Well)

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
PeteC

Digging a Bore (Well)

Post by PeteC »

HHCanuck wrote:Big thing to keep in mind is water. Hua Hin has serious water problems so be careful renting something up on hills as you may not get water for days or weeks even during the rainy season. You will notice plenty of water trucks out and about.
I don't recall that we talked about this before. Has anyone done it as a solution to poor city water supply? Is it banned perhaps within the city limits...or perhaps being so close to the sea there is no fresh water down there anyway?

In Rayong here we dug one when we brought the land. 44 meters deep and all in price including the Franklin submersible pump was about 90. Not cheap but a godsend given our pool and size of grounds that needs watering. No permit needed from what I recall, just permission from the development owners who I recall saying...."....don't let anyone see you..." :shock: So not sure if technically legal or not. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Re: Digging a Bore (Well)

Post by Nereus »

prcscct wrote:
HHCanuck wrote:Big thing to keep in mind is water. Hua Hin has serious water problems so be careful renting something up on hills as you may not get water for days or weeks even during the rainy season. You will notice plenty of water trucks out and about.
I don't recall that we talked about this before. Has anyone done it as a solution to poor city water supply? Is it banned perhaps within the city limits...or perhaps being so close to the sea there is no fresh water down there anyway?

In Rayong here we dug one when we brought the land. 44 meters deep and all in price including the Franklin submersible pump was about 90. Not cheap but a godsend given our pool and size of grounds that needs watering. No permit needed from what I recall, just permission from the development owners who I recall saying...."....don't let anyone see you..." :shock: So not sure if technically legal or not. Pete :cheers:
They are "supposed" to be licenced, AND there is a tax on them! :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

Yes we needed a licence which last 10 years. Every now and again someone comes to inspect the well, for what I do not know as they can never speak any English but something is entered onto a hand held computer and off they go again.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Takiap »

Pete, 90K doesn't seem too bad considering we were quoted 180K about two years ago. We decided against it because even with occasional water shortages, we won't spend that much on water in our lifetime. Btw, the price we were quoted was for a deep well. There is water down there, but at 180K, it's just not a cost effective option.

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall being told that a license is only required for deep wells, which apparently are wells deeper than 30 or 40 meters.

:cheers:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I'm becoming a firm believer that "tax" is interpreted many different ways here depending upon where you are. Re: the current property tax thread that I'll post on later today. There is nothing over this side that appears to be even close to the tax rules/charges explained for Hua Hin in that thread. Pete :cheers:
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

Takiap wrote:Pete, 90K doesn't seem too bad considering we were quoted 180K about two years ago. We decided against it because even with occasional water shortages, we won't spend that much on water in our lifetime. Btw, the price we were quoted was for a deep well. There is water down there, but at 180K, it's just not a cost effective option.

I might be wrong, but I seem to recall being told that a license is only required for deep wells, which apparently are wells deeper than 30 or 40 meters.

:cheers:
Agreed, I was also quoted 180K for a deep well which included the permission/licence to drill and for testing the water quality. Finally I did not have the well drilled as the owner of my Moo Baan decided to have a common well drilled. I now pay a fixed monthly amount for the well water when required i.e when the piped water runs dry, which for me is most of the year.

The water quality is good from a depth of 80 metres. I have never been informed of any tax which is applicable but that doesn't come as any surprise.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
buksida

Post by buksida »

prcscct wrote:I'm becoming a firm believer that "tax" is interpreted many different ways here depending upon where you are.
Spot on.

Had a well put into our place a couple of years ago when we bought the land, only 15 meters or so deep but there is water in it year round. Cost 8,000 baht including materials, no tax, no permits, no worries!
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

I heard that well water in the HH area has a very high calcium content that needs treating (softening) before household use but can be used for irrigation without treatment? Is this other peoles experience?
Bristolian
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Bristolian »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:I heard that well water in the HH area has a very high calcium content that needs treating (softening) before household use but can be used for irrigation without treatment? Is this other peoles experience?
That was exactly what I was told when the water from our Moo Baan Well was tested. I have installed a filter and softening system to correct this issue.
"'The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why." - Mark Twain
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I was going to put in a well for our house in Hin Lek Fai but we now have a water supply from the local area so I didn't bother. The water supply isn't reliable but we have a 40,000 litre underground cistern so that isn't a problem.
As to the cost of digging wells, I've seen Thai farmers in Issan dig shallow wells by standing in the middle of concrete drainage pipe with a spade and digging. Someone on the surface keeps pulling out the soil with a bucket and rope and then as the pipe sinks down, you keep adding sections at the top. Hopefully when the well is finished, someone pulls him out with the rope!
malcolminthemiddle
Guru
Guru

Post by malcolminthemiddle »

Steve,

Is that 40,000 litres for one house? I mention this because oversizing a tank can lead to stagnant water and a breeding ground for bacteria including Legionnaires Disease.
Dannie Boy
Hero
Hero

Post by Dannie Boy »

malcolminthemiddle wrote:Steve,

Is that 40,000 litres for one house? I mention this because oversizing a tank can lead to stagnant water and a breeding ground for bacteria including Legionnaires Disease.
It does sound incredibly big - I have a 1600 litre tank and was trying to imagine the size of a 40,000 litre tank, more like a swimming pool.
deepee
Guru
Guru

Post by deepee »

Might be worth putting some of these dimensions and volumes in perspective remembering 1,000 litres of water =1 cubic metre of course.
Depending on whose research figures you may look up average water consumption is roughly about 20,000 lts or 20 cubic mts per person per month for fairly basic needs, NOT inclusive of activities like maintaining gardens or car washing.
So in Steve G's case that 40,000 ltr cistern equates to a month's worth of water for two people to use. Not really all that much eh?
Or, if you were to collect all the rainwater for a year off the roof of Splitlid's latest design 'The Retreat", that 400 sq mts would give you about about 400 cu mts based on the local rainfall stats of about 1000 mm/year.
That's about enough water for that household for 18 months w/o the gardens etc.
Complexity is so simply overrated
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

I posted about this yesterday--hit the wrong button and the whole thing vanished. :cuss:
One point was that people will spend around 800k Baht on a swimming pool, but neglect to consider putting a good size storage tank / cistern.

40,000 Liters is 8m x 4m x 1.25m, or equal. As mentioned you would need to be using this as a normal supply, rather than holding it in reserve to avoid stagnation. Such a sized underground tank would need to be of reinforced construction, and somewhere that vehicles cannot drive over it, but basically a swimming pool with a top on it! :cheers:
Last edited by Nereus on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

I think Steve mentioned in another thread that you can park cars on top of it, so it must be well reinforced. Middle of the night in EU now so he'll probably confirm or deny this afternoon. Pete :cheers: