Attitudes?

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
pinksquid

Attitudes?

Post by pinksquid »

One of the reasons I was a lurker on this board for so long was what I perceived to be people who get their jollies from being, pardon my bluntness, a$$es.

Someone asks a question (whether it is a "stupid" one or one that has been asked before or whatever) and there are some people who insist on just being d!ck$.

It would not be a problem if it was sharing an opinion, but it is usually just a sarcastic attack. This can be seen quite a bit when the topic of farang women come up-- if you read some people you'd think we were all money-grubbing fat b!tche$ and we are evil demons. I bet this type of post scares away quite a few women from posting here.

I do not want everyone to get along, far from it-- but why do people feel it is called for to crawl out of their sewers and bless us with their crap.

Short of ignoring it or trading barbs I do not think there is much that can be done, but I just thought I'd say something.

I can hold my own in a "flame-war" I'd just rather not have to.
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
PeteB
Professional
Professional

Attitudes

Post by PeteB »

pinksquid - hi

Interesting stuff, but don't let the posts razz you. I believe that you refer to an exchange that you have just had on another thread.

Look back carefully over the posts - you may find that your own comment (not question):
There is no way I am putting my expensive camera in checked baggage-

may have come across as "attitude" and may, in itself, have got someone's back up. Remember there is no real way of conveying 'feeling' in these posts.

I personally read your post as one that was made by someone who only cared about personal inconvenience and not the plight of 10s of thousands of others. I'm sure that this was not meant to be the case.

There are very few 'flame wars' on this board. They are quite rightly not tolerated by the moderators.

I think that we will all sympathise with the baby milk situation - many of us have had children and now grandchildren who we travel with. The plain fact is that, apparently, the plot was to use liquid explosive and a triggering device.

I'm sure that the earlier exchange was due to misunderstanding the emphasis that couldn't be conveyed.

I'm not quite sure what your suggestion is, but my suggestion :idea: is for you both to try to be a little less sensitive, a little more thoughtful (and perhaps again more sensitive to others) when posting. If in doubt, just ignore all but plainly personal attacks. :idea:

Cheers :cheers:

Peter
If a Yorkshireman puts his hand in his pocket - fret not!
He'll just be checking his ferret.
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Good luck, PeteB, this lady who can hold her own!

I think that she is referring to the thread on the womans section thet got hi-jacked by us men - including me - which got somewhat sexist and quite vocal in its attitude to farang woman - lots of generalising.

I think it showed there was a lot of insecure men there?

Get ready to duck......
Talk is cheap
pinksquid

Re: Attitudes

Post by pinksquid »

PeteB wrote:pinksquid - hi

Interesting stuff, but don't let the posts razz you. I believe that you refer to an exchange that you have just had on another thread.
Not really, I was meaning more the women's section posts, but I have seen other people ask a question and get snarky responses back. :)

PeteB wrote:Look back carefully over the posts - you may find that your own comment (not question):
There is no way I am putting my expensive camera in checked baggage-

may have come across as "attitude" and may, in itself, have got someone's back up. Remember there is no real way of conveying 'feeling' in these posts.
If that is the case then clarification should be asked for and/or best intentions thought-- comparing my question about a camera to terrorists questioning bombs is out of line. Assuming the worst in people is the problem, sometimes a question is just a question. 8)

I see nothing wrong with my question-- it was a question. If it turns out it is not safe to bring my camera I won't bring it. :mrgreen:

If anything at all is being said negatively by me it is that I think the airport staff are boobs and I do not trust them with my camera. No where did I say "bad regulations!" or "poo on those people trying to prevent terrorists for killing more people!" I just asked if my camera could be carried on and I won't put it in checked because I am concerned about its safety.

For the record milk can be brought on for small children if I understand correctly. My question about the milk was in reference to the best way to transport it for the ease of inspection: would a clear original container work better than a lidded cup for instance. :thumb:

Thank you very much for the input. I do appreciate it. :D
Last edited by pinksquid on Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

caller wrote:I think that she is referring to the thread on the womans section thet got hi-jacked by us men - including me - which got somewhat sexist and quite vocal in its attitude to farang woman - lots of generalising.
Spot on caller, spot on! :thumb:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

I don't believe that thread was hi-jacked at all and thankfully neither were the planes.

A question was asked in the OP about the attitude of foreign men towards western women. It would be naive not to expect men to respond, irrespective of what their views might be or what it might reveal about them.

I agree with PeteB, Pinksquid, as I read your post in the way that he did and I'm sure many others did too. Indeed I have responded to it, before reading this thread. I don't know why but there was something about your post that said "ME, ME, ME!" Being over in Hua Hin perhaps the impact of todays events have not affected you as much - it has had a big impact here (grim determination is the pervading atmosphere) and I think it would be easy to read your posts as insensitive and even selfish. Of course, I am sure that neither was intended.

Please take this as advice rather than criticism but ultimately I suppose you can take it or leave it. I won't be getting into an argument with you over it. After all, don't forget that as a man (and a smart-arsed one at that), I am safe in the knowledge that I do know best and that as a woman you should know your limits and heed my advice. :mrgreen:
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

Jaime wrote:Being over in Hua Hin perhaps the impact of todays events have not affected you as much
I am not in Hua Hin.
Jaime wrote:and I think it would be easy to read your posts as insensitive and even selfish. Of course, I am sure that neither was intended.
And if you are sure about it not being intended why do you continue to act like it was? That makes no sense. :shock: But thank you for all your assumptions on my selfishness... :thumb:
Jaime wrote:After all, don't forget that as a man (and a smart-arsed one at that), I am safe in the knowledge that I do know best and that as a woman you should know your limits and heed my advice. :mrgreen:
And it is exactly this sort of comment I am complaining about. :thumb:
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

pinksquid wrote:I am not in Hua Hin.
Sorry Pinksquid but your profile details to the left of your posts state that you are in Hua Hin. My mistake obviously.
pinksquid wrote:And if you are sure about it not being intended why do you continue to act like it was? That makes no sense. :shock: But thank you for all your assumptions on my selfishness... :thumb:
Am I continuing to act like it was? I am sorry if you think my assumption is that you are selfish. I actually wrote that it might be easy to read that into your post, especially as your exchange with Big Boy heated up. No sarcasm was intended by my comment "I am sure that neither was intended" but as PeteB mentioned in this thread, it is difficult to convey emphasis and conversely easy to read emphasis that isn't there.
pinksquid wrote:
Jaime wrote:After all, don't forget that as a man (and a smart-arsed one at that), I am safe in the knowledge that I do know best and that as a woman you should know your limits and heed my advice. :mrgreen:
And it is exactly this sort of comment I am complaining about. :thumb:
And of course that is exactly why I included it! Naughty of me I know but just trying to lighten the mood. Off target though it seems!
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Re: Attitudes?

Post by Lev »

pinksquid wrote: Short of ignoring it or trading barbs I do not think there is much that can be done, but I just thought I'd say something.
Girls are in the minority on this forum to start with, something we'd like to change and unfortunately with a public forum you do get the odd "a$$" here and there.

From my observations though most people on here comment in jest, the ones who are serious deserve to be ignored or thrown a few barbs, fire away if its necessary.
migrant
Addict
Addict

Post by migrant »

I have not seen all your posts, but in other forums have come across numerous 'comments'.

Maybe I'm simplistic, or non confrontational (I know some will not agree) but I just ignore them.

If a forum is good, and I enjoy it, I figure life is too short.
DawnHRD
Legend
Legend

Post by DawnHRD »

Pinksquid,

Hi there. I understand what you're saying; occasionally some of the comments get my back up & on at least 2 occasions I've let people know just what I thought of their comments (in both cases they were, as you say, derogatory ones about Western women).

However, as one of the few women who have been posting on here regularly for some time, you have to accept 2 things:
1 most of the guys who post on here are really nice blokes, but it can be easy to misunderstand the sentiments meant in a post

2 The idiot brigade are alive and well, and unfortunately will continue in one guise or another. Many only want to build up the 30 posts to get into the night crawlers section and once there, rarely post elsewhere. The offensive ones get banned by the mods. Both the ones I "argued" with were thrown off. In both cases I got very nice pm's from other members (male) checking that these guys hadn't upset me. They hadn't, like you, I can take care of myself.

My point is this; the HHAD mods do want more women to post regularly, they do moderate the board very well, but unfortunately they can't ban people simply for being "tossers", the guys need to violate some rule. My advice is, if you don't like someone's remark, challenge them. It's always worked for me! And keep on posting! :thumb:
"The question is not, can they reason? Nor, can they talk? But, can they suffer?" - Jeremy Bentham, philosopher, 1748-1832

Make a dog's life better, today!
Jockey
Banned
Banned

Re: Attitudes?

Post by Jockey »

pinksquid wrote:
I do not want everyone to get along, far from it-- but why do people feel it is called for to crawl out of their sewers and bless us with their crap.
:roll: Is it that time of the month? OuCH! :wink:
richard
Deceased
Deceased

Post by richard »

Anybody remember speakers corner in Hyde Park in the UK?

You could stand up on a soapbox and say what you wanted about anybody (including Royalty and the Government), anything and as an audience you could listen or walk away. To me forums are a replacement. Within reason and without being abusive, you can air your views. No one compels you to read. Like the Telly. If you don't like it switch it off

Enloy

:cheers:
RICHARD OF LOXLEY

It’s none of my business what people say and think of me. I am what I am and do what I do. I expect nothing and accept everything. It makes life so much easier.
PeteB
Professional
Professional

The Definitive Answer for pinksquid

Post by PeteB »

The Definitive Answer for pinksquid

Carry on Items

:shock:
If a Yorkshireman puts his hand in his pocket - fret not!
He'll just be checking his ferret.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

Is that a Farang lady in the photo above?
I really cant tell. :mrgreen:
But i do notice Sven trying to get out of shot.