Second Hand Bookshop

Discussion on family life, childcare, home making, shopping, lifestyle, pet care, gardening and general household issues.
lomuamart

Second Hand Bookshop

Post by lomuamart »

I was up in BKK for the day earlier this week and had some time to kill so searched out a second hand bookshop that I'd come across on the internet. Dasa Books.
Their details are linked. They have a very impressive selection of fiction (you can download the catalogue) and the prices were very reasonable and the books in good condition. There's an upstairs floor as well for, I think, reference and non-fiction stuff. I never made it up there.
Having looked through their web site, I see that they offer a mail order service and that's something I might take advantage of in the future.
Anyway, just a heads up for book lovers. Here are the details http://www.dasabookcafe.com/
Mail order details on left hand menu.
pharvey

Re: Second Hand Bookshop

Post by pharvey »

Buy a bl**dy Kindle and download a shed of books free - and bite the bullet when you have to pay for 1 or 2 you like.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
Nereus
Hero
Hero

Post by Nereus »

lomuamart wrote:I was up in BKK for the day earlier this week and had some time to kill so searched out a second hand bookshop that I'd come across on the internet. Dasa Books.
Their details are linked. They have a very impressive selection of fiction (you can download the catalogue) and the prices were very reasonable and the books in good condition. There's an upstairs floor as well for, I think, reference and non-fiction stuff. I never made it up there.
Having looked through their web site, I see that they offer a mail order service and that's something I might take advantage of in the future.
Anyway, just a heads up for book lovers. Here are the details http://www.dasabookcafe.com/
Mail order details on left hand menu.
Yes, I use it regularly Lomu. There are 3 floors including the ground floor, with a good selection on the second floor including kids books.
One problem that I have with it is because of the floors and narrow stairway, as I use a walking stick to get around. The American guy that owns it is a strange fellow to say the least. I have not worked out if he is just a bit shy, or just plain ignorant--the latter I think!
He will take back books at around 50 % of cost, and also directly buy good stock. It is about a 5 minute walk east of the BTS sky train station at Emporium, on the same side of Sukhumvit. :cheers:
May you be in heaven half an hour before the devil know`s you`re dead!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I like books though, pharvey, the physical aspect of them as well as the words. Suppose I'm a bit of a bibliophoile (if that's the right word)?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

It's spelt Bookworm.

I agree with you, lomu, BUT I think I'm going to have to give in and get one of these Kindle things.
Been thinking about it for far too long. If you could just walk into a shop in HH and buy one I'd have had one months ago.
This is the way
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

pharvey

Post by pharvey »

lomuamart wrote:I like books though, pharvey, the physical aspect of them as well as the words. Suppose I'm a bit of a bibliophoile (if that's the right word)?
With you in a lot of ways Lomu, but the Kindle Fire I have now is superb. I download a lot of books for on the road, I can watch movies and listen to music... all good. A great deal of the books etc. being free.

I do however have a massive collection of books at home which I would never enjoy as much on the Kindle.

:cheers: :cheers:
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I suppose a Kindle is something I should think about.
Knowing myself though, I'll never get round to it!!
STEVE G
Hero
Hero

Post by STEVE G »

I bought a Kindle a couple of weeks ago and one of the big advantages is the price that you can download books for off Amazon. Here in Luxembourg there aren't any English second hand bookshops and the only shop with a big stock of English language books charges full price, or more. for everything. I downloaded Andrew Marrs 'A History of Modern Britain' for £1.19 off Amazon and it's for sale in paperback for 14 Euros here which is a hell of a difference.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/History-Modern- ... 1405005386
moja
Guru
Guru

Post by moja »

I too used to love books and to watch my bookmark's progress through a book and was sure I would miss reading an actual book but I didn't and on the odd time I read an actual book now I find it a pain. I love my Kindle and as everyone has said the savings on buying books is huge not to mention the number of books and new authors available.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

I bought a Kindle last month and am frankly disappointed with it - give me a real book anytime.
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
abigail
Rookie
Rookie

Post by abigail »

Had my kindle now for over a year over 85 books downloaded, its so easy to use and I now wait for the special offers which are emailed every day to me. All of my books I donated to animal charity which helped them and now no books cluttering up shelves.