Buddhist Temples In Hua Hin

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
pinksquid

Buddhist Temples In Hua Hin

Post by pinksquid »

If someone could be so kind, what are all the names of the temples in Hua Hin?

I am more familiar with Japanese Buddhism and their reason for being (usually they are dedicated to certain people, activities, concepts, or beings/spitits/gods/Buddhas). Do any of the temples in Hua Hin have themselves dedicated to anything? I know there is the one with a giant Chinese Buddha by Elephant Village, but I do not know if it is decoration or?

Do any of them offer classes to farang? Do any of them have services we could attend? Have any of them allowed farang to become a monk with them?

I figure since Buddhism is the main religion of Thailand I want to understand the Thai version a bit better than I do.

I thank you in advance! :bow:
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

First of all there are several temples (wat) in Hua Hin listing them here would be very difficult. The easiest to find is the one in the middle of the town. Second, Thai buddhism is hinayana buddhism as in Cambodia, Burma and Sri Lanka whereas Japanese is derived from Mahayana which is also practised in Korea, China and Vietnam. The temple you mention near the elephant village is kalled Ittisukkato and is a strange one. Not only has it a Chinese Buddha statue but also one of Jesus and some other statues from different religions. I'm not quite sure why this is so.
I think all of them will allow westerners to enter monkhood if one wishes to do so but you might need to know thai to understand anything there. There is one temple I've heard about in Ubon which teaches foreigners.
It's called Wat Pa Nanachat
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

Bamboo Grove wrote:First of all there are several temples (wat) in Hua Hin listing them here would be very difficult.
Wow, I did not think there were that many! :oops: I will look forward to exploring them all.
Bamboo Grove wrote:Second, Thai buddhism is hinayana buddhism as in Cambodia, Burma and Sri Lanka whereas Japanese is derived from Mahayana which is also practised in Korea, China and Vietnam.

Yes, I know the different forms of Buddhism, I am just more familar with esoteric Japanese Buddhism (I stay away from zen). :)

Bamboo Grove wrote:The temple you mention near the elephant village is kalled Ittisukkato and is a strange one. Not only has it a Chinese Buddha statue but also one of Jesus and some other statues from different religions. I'm not quite sure why this is so.

It did seem to be a bit unique to me, hopefully someone can fill us in. If not I will try going and asking-- I do not know how far I will get although last time I went we communicated with broken Thai and English and they helped us with some basic worship (when in Thailand...).
Bamboo Grove wrote:I think all of them will allow westerners to enter monkhood if one wishes to do so but you might need to know thai to understand anything there. There is one temple I've heard about in Ubon which teaches foreigners. It's called Wat Pa Nanachat

Thank you very much for the information. I will look them up when I get back. I am interested in taking a few classes and just learning some more. :)
As of mid August I am on vacation via traveling around the globe and I am not returning until the end of November (I have no Internet access until I return). Have fun!
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

My mother-in-law is a Buddhist nun in one of those temples in the hills behind HH. Has been for ages 8yrs.
The thing is that if you want, we'll introduce you.
She's also a well respected faith healer. Don't take this michael though.
pinksquid

Post by pinksquid »

lomuamart wrote:My mother-in-law is a Buddhist nun in one of those temples in the hills behind HH. Has been for ages 8yrs.
The thing is that if you want, we'll introduce you.
She's also a well respected faith healer. Don't take this michael though.
Wow, really? I woud be just the most happiest person ever if you would be so kind!

We visited the temple with the Chinese Buddha and there were nuns there (I know many people claim that they are "technically" not nuns and all, but to me they are). They were so very lovely to us. They took our son and played with him and helped us light incense and pray. They invited us to lunch with them and told us to go anywhere on the grounds (except by the monks quarters, of course) to take pictures. I do not think they get many farang actually stopping in (even if they do pass by on the elephants).