Meeng-ga-prun (jellyfish) Any other jf stories or cures?

Questions for the residents, services, suppliers, shops and businesses, get quick answers from the people that live here.
suzannejames
Amateur
Amateur

Meeng-ga-prun (jellyfish) Any other jf stories or cures?

Post by suzannejames »

I'm opening this topic again as there are concerns and questions about jellyfish dangers that haven't had much in way of response. Anyone have any thoughts or experiences with jf? :idea:

My very limited experience with jellyfish in HH has me thinking that jellyfish here tend to be in loose categories of brown, red, white, and somewhat clear, some spotted and some not. Within the loose categories, there are overlapping characteristics. :? There are size differences from tiny baby jellyfish to some that are unbelievably big.

The brown and red jf have the most serious stings and can burn the skin deeply, sometimes leaving scars. From what I've seen, the pain is severe; just a quick brush-by from even a smallish brown or red jf is serious.

I was swimming with a friend of mine several days ago who got stung. We found ourselves in what seemed like a school of jf and were probably lucky to get clear of them with only one sting. It was just a brush against the skin, but enough for my friend to be in significant pain for which pharmaceutical remedy was sought, including ammonia to neutralize the toxins. (Urine is sometimes recommended, too.) The pain lasted more than a few days and looked like it was a serious burn, which in fact it is.

There was a similar situation which occurred today with a friend who was caught by surprise and stung by a jf. It had appeared there weren't any about, and we had been carefree in our swimming and I suppose careless. The sea may seem free of jf but it’s not necessarily so.

This take a different turn now. My friend is Thai and treated the burn by using nature to neutralize the sting.

According to the doctor who treated my first friend, jf stings are treated differently based on their physical characteristics, in that different toxins are released. That being said, my Thai friend didn't worry about the jf’s characteristics, and didn’t waste a moment in getting out of the sea to fix a remedy. I was skeptical but since I don't speak Thai I watched, learned and know what I'll do now if I get stung.

pot bpl*i talee (pot boo talay) is a leafy vine, and my friend went directly for the leaves, picking five or six. Rolled around in the hands, there is "leaf juice" which was rubbed on the area of the sting for a full ten minutes. After a half hour the area that had quickly reddened after the sting was greatly diminished in size. It was almost hard to find and there was no complaint of pain. :D

I am announcing my disclaimer for responsibility here, because I don't know what I'm talking about, and half the time I just make it up as I go. This post is just a translation of my inexpert experience.

I loosely translated what the vine or leaves are called, and I think it’s something like “rash-release-seaâ€
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

I was badly stung a few years ago off Suan Son Beach. We tried Pak Buu Taley which is a type of Morning Glory. Did not seem to make any difference. Ended up in a local clinic for an injection to neutralise the Toxins. The wounds from the sting did not heal properly for about 6 months and have left large areas of white scar tissue on my arms. In fact the wounds did not heal properly until I had spent some days in Hospital in UK on a steroid drip.

After that episode I did some research on remedies and the most widely used is the application of Baking Soda on the affected areas.

On a practical note it is a good idea to wear a T shirt with long sleeves and long shorts when swimming in the Sea off Hua Hin. Jelly Fish seem more common from March through to the end of the Rainey season.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

It sounds as though the king of JF that you got stung by is similar to the stingers that we get here in the seas in Australia.
Dependant on the type, some can kill you in a short space of time if treatment is not found very quickly.
The scars that you have described are similar to what I have seen here on TV programs and most stay with you for thr rest of your life (similar to a bad burn).
Apparantly smothering the wound with vinegar in the initial stages helps, but really you need to get to hospital or get medical treatment straight away.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
suzannejames
Amateur
Amateur

Post by suzannejames »

Ammonia, Morning Glory, baking soda, and vinegar.. I hope never to get stung, but in the unhappy event that I do - I don't know what I'd do! :?
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Suzanne, I am not jocking about the vinigar, in North Queensland (where the stingers are at their worst), all along the beaches are poles with tins of vinegar, just in case anyone gets stung to assist in the initial treatment of the wound.
The only action that you need with the ones that we get here in Australia, is to get to the hospital ASAP, as the poison affect your bodys breathing system, and can be fatal in some cases.

I was in HH last year and the ones that I saw there were nothing like the bad ones that we get here, they are about the size of a dinner plate and bigger, so are easy to spot.

The ones that we have here are very small, but the tenticals are very long and that is what wraps round you and causes all of the problems.

I swam in the sea nearly every day, and apart from the odd one, did not see any at all, I saw more dead ones laying on the sand that I did in the water.
:cheers: :cheers:
suzannejames
Amateur
Amateur

Post by suzannejames »

chelsea wrote:I was in HH last year and the ones that I saw there were nothing like the bad ones that we get here, they are about the size of a dinner plate and bigger, so are easy to spot.

The ones that we have here are very small, but the tenticals are very long and that is what wraps round you and causes all of the problems.

I swam in the sea nearly every day, and apart from the odd one, did not see any at all, I saw more dead ones laying on the sand that I did in the water.
The southern end of the beach in HH, Khao Takieb area and a bit further south by Anantasila, sometimes have so many jf they are caught up in the small waves that curl over, so thick with them that it's truly hard to believe. Visually scanning a large span of wave left and right, I've literally seen thousands.

The jf are just now coming 'round again and are of all sizes. Some are very tiny and easy to miss. There are also stinging nettle kinds of jf, if that's what they really area. May be something else. Their sting is not so much serious as it is annoying.

The "dinner plates" are here and there, but babies up to the size of a "Big Mac" are really what's out & about right now.

This is what applies to the Takieb area, I don't know about the beach nearer to the Hilton.

Thanks for the vinegar solution :wink: It sounds reliable.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

Suzanne, we were mainly around where the Sofitel is, there is a beach bar just down from the Sofitel, we used to use the beach chairs there and then swim in and around there.
We did stay the 1st part of the trip down towards the Koh Takiab area and must admit we did see a lot down there when we walked towards Monkey Mountain and the fishing village.
gj
Rookie
Rookie

jellyfish

Post by gj »

I know here are around two thousand species of Jellyfish in the world but less than one hundred are considered dangerous to humans. They are not in fact fish but invertebrates.

The box jellyfish is the most dangerous in but not too many in these waters but I have swam and sailed in this Bay and can honestly say that there is far more jellyfish in Phuket especially around July and August.

I don’t know of any literature that catalogues the various type of jellyfish found in Thai waters but there is the Marine science centre in Bang Saan Chonburi that might provide you with this information --- That is if they decide to reply.
gj
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gj »

sorry I forgot to post this link - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box_jellyfish
PJG
Professional
Professional

Post by PJG »

I have a house at Khao Takiep just back from Suan Son Beach. Suan Son is where I got badley stung. A few years ago the locals were collecting all the Jellys on the beaches and shippingn them off to Korea. Apparently Jelly Fish is a delicacy in Korea, anyway haven't seen any Jelly Fish Farming activity recently. We seem to mainly get Portugese Man of War type Jelly Fish and also some small yellow ball type variety, the later do not seem to cause a problem.

Have never seen any Box type Jellys which are the really dangerous ones. Have however seen the result of stings off the coast of Muscat, Sultanate of Oman.
roberto

jellyfish

Post by roberto »

Is it true that really really hot vinegar is the best thing? I also read somewhere about passing a mild electric current through the wound destroys the toxins, same sort of thing people use for stimulating muscles. I have no first hand experience of either method has anyone else?
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

chelsea wrote:Suzanne, I am not jocking about the vinigar, in North Queensland (where the stingers are at their worst), all along the beaches are poles with tins of vinegar, just in case anyone gets stung to assist in the initial treatment of the wound.
The only action that you need with the ones that we get here in Australia, is to get to the hospital ASAP, as the poison affect your bodys breathing system, and can be fatal in some cases.
I've seen that on National Geographic or similar. There was an incident described where a young woman died right then and there on the beach.

If the Thai's haven't taken up the challenge as to how to harvest, cook and serve the buggers, it's a good bet they want nothing to do with them and that is very scary! :shock: Pete