Swimming in the sea in Hua Hin

Hua Hin general discussion, observations and chat. Hua Hin topics that don't really fit anywhere else.
Takiap
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: Swimming in the sea in Hua Hin

Post by Takiap »

The jelly fish don't seem to put the Thais off from swimming in the sea, and personally I can't recall ever seeing anyone complaining about being stung, but I suppose it does happen from time to time. I had those big one brush against my legs before, and while it did feel creepy, I also have never been stung before. In fact, the tiny sand flies on the far end of Takiap beach used to be more of a threat because I seemed to react badly to their bites although I must have become immune to them now.

All in all, I wouldn't worry too much about the jellies. :thumb:
Don't try to impress me with your manner of dress cos a monkey himself is a monkey no less - cold fact
Big Boy

Post by Big Boy »

I can assure you that all of the Thai side of my have been stung, and yes, they complained. Neither of my grand daughters will put one foot into the sea any more.
Championship Plymouth Argyle 1 - 0 Hull City :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Points 51; Position 21
Consolidated - Championship Next Season :dance: :dance:
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

Now here's a beach! My daughter watched this on HBO this morning and asked..."Daddy, why doesn't Thailand have water like that...." Long story peanut..... :( A monster may now be created as she wants to go to Hawaii. :laugh: Pete :cheers:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0300532/ (watch the trailer)
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
Jeeny
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jeeny »

Does anyone know when these jellyfish come close to the beach? In Europe they come with off land wind coming from the east. When you have an answer please post this.
hhfarang
Hero
Hero

Post by hhfarang »

I don't think it has anything to do with the wind but I could be wrong. I think it's seasonal here. You may encounter one any time but they come in schools (is that the right word for jellyfish) for about 3 months every year which I think is ending about now. I don't swim in the sea near Hua Hin for other reasons, but my comment is just from walking on the beach occasionally and seeing how many are washed up there.
My brain is like an Internet browser; 12 tabs are open and 5 of them are not responding, there's a GIF playing in an endless loop,... and where is that annoying music coming from?
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

If you want to go swimming in the sea then I'd head south Jeeny, the further the better. Water quality, like was maybe inferred by the above poster and mentioned earlier in this thread by others, is suspect here in Thailand near large towns and cities with notable suburban sprawls close by and jellies are only one of the concerns of entering the water, as environmental considerations often don't get the attention here that they ought perhaps to warrant.

The only places I really have been/go swimming here in the sea is usually on the islands down south. There are places closer but you need to get away from the population concentration areas.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
offshoreadvice
Rookie
Rookie

Post by offshoreadvice »

Haven't see much on the Kao Tao side, actually nothing thus far. Are there certain areas to avoid for Jellyfish?
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

O Joy! O Bliss! Let there be dancing on the hilltops and much celebratory feasting and bouncing of bedsprings in the valleys! And let there be boundless splishysplashing in the water by those who fear the dreaded wibblywobbly squishy jellythings, for they have been banished from the supreme saltiness of the SuanSom sea.

I'm delighted to report that we went to the beach at Suan Som first thing this morning and there wasn't a jellyfish in sight for the first time in ages. :cheers:
This is the way
wpcoe
Professional
Professional

Post by wpcoe »

dtaai-maai wrote:I'm delighted to report that we went to the beach at Suan Som first thing this morning and there wasn't a jellyfish in sight for the first time in ages.
So, the water is that toxic, huh? :naughty:
ethanw
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ethanw »

What are the best places to swim in Hua Hin? Any recommendation?