What first attracted you to Thailand.

General chat about life in the Land Of Smiles. Discuss expat life, relationship issues and all things generally Thailand and Asia related.
Bamboo Grove

Post by Bamboo Grove »

This more or less sums it up
This is a thing I've never known before, it's called easy living.
This is a place I've never seen before, and I've been forgiven.
Waiting, watching, wishing my hard life away.
Dreaming, fainting, ready for love every day
and some easy living.
Uriah Heep
steve skyrider

Post by steve skyrider »

its good to read the above pleasant stories about HH, as this forum has quite a few off putting subjects, I will be making my first trip to HH in 3 weeks, it will also be my first visit to Thailand, cant wait, HH sounds like the perfect place 4 me, see you in feb.
cockneyrebel

Love Thailand

Post by cockneyrebel »

Better late than never.....I had arranged, with my then wife, to holiday in Thailand as a 50th birthday celebration a few years ago.
But, as things do, she decided that she didn't want to be married anymore, so the holiday was off.
After failing to persuade her that we could still go as friends, I was going to take my then 28 yr old son, but thought everyone would think we were a couple of gays (nothing wrong with gays I hasten to add!!!), then maybe I'd take my 25 yr old daughter, but I thought (I know, too much thinking going on, but it was a crazy time for me after 30 years of marriage), people would look on me as a dirty (some might say lucky!!) old man with a lovely young lady in tow.
I was about to cancel the whole thing but it was my kids who said "dad you've looked-forward to this holiday for so long, go on your own, we're sure you'll enjoy it", so off I went.
I had a 4 night stay in the Montien in BKK, opposite unbeknown to me beforehand to Patpong, so I certainly did enjoy myself...kid in a sweetshop has been mentioned before!!!....then 10 nights in Cha-Am, which was a bit quiet for me, so I ventured down the road to HH and like everyone else loved the place to bits.
I chucked my job in when I returned to UK, and came back to stay in HH for over 6 months, but then realised, after I couldn't find the rose tinted glasses one day, that I would run out of dosh without an income, so sadly I had to return here and find a job. Nevertheless I've been back 3 times since, and have now married a lovely lady I met in BKK, who's with me now in the UK, so all's well that ends well.......I hope.
PeteC

Re: Love Thailand

Post by PeteC »

cockneyrebel wrote:Better late than never.....I had arranged, with my then wife, to holiday in Thailand as a 50th birthday celebration a few years ago.
But, as things do, she decided that she didn't want to be married anymore, so the holiday was off.
After failing to persuade her that we could still go as friends, I was going to take my then 28 yr old son, but thought everyone would think we were a couple of gays (nothing wrong with gays I hasten to add!!!), then maybe I'd take my 25 yr old daughter, but I thought (I know, too much thinking going on, but it was a crazy time for me after 30 years of marriage), people would look on me as a dirty (some might say lucky!!) old man with a lovely young lady in tow.
I was about to cancel the whole thing but it was my kids who said "dad you've looked-forward to this holiday for so long, go on your own, we're sure you'll enjoy it", so off I went.
I had a 4 night stay in the Montien in BKK, opposite unbeknown to me beforehand to Patpong, so I certainly did enjoy myself...kid in a sweetshop has been mentioned before!!!....then 10 nights in Cha-Am, which was a bit quiet for me, so I ventured down the road to HH and like everyone else loved the place to bits.
I chucked my job in when I returned to UK, and came back to stay in HH for over 6 months, but then realised, after I couldn't find the rose tinted glasses one day, that I would run out of dosh without an income, so sadly I had to return here and find a job. Nevertheless I've been back 3 times since, and have now married a lovely lady I met in BKK, who's with me now in the UK, so all's well that ends well.......I hope.
That's such a good story that I don't want to trim the quote by even one word. The only thing I would add is that if walking with your grown son or daughter over here, develop a bit of a thick skin but don't ever be ashamed or scared to tell a Thai idiot who may chastise you, to F. OFF!!! Hats off to you CR! Pete :cheers:
Guess
Deceased
Deceased

Post by Guess »

The attraction for me is that I can pick my nose in public, fart audibly in a restaurant, leer and make lewd comments to females, live in a slum with a half decent bit of totty, drive on whatever side of the road that pleases me and eat decent food very cheaply.

Additional bonuses are that I am not constantly harasssed by officialdom, I do not not some crank (who can't read "NO CALLERS" on the door) knocking at my door trying to convert me to some crazy religion, I only pay an acceptable amount of tax and I only pay for a Doctor when I need one.
[color=blue][size=134]Care in the community success story.[/size][/color]