Chang Light ... strangely familiar

Restaurants, food, beverage, hawkers, and local markets and suppliers. This is the place for discussion on Hua Hin's culinary options.
buksida

Chang Light ... strangely familiar

Post by buksida »

Anyone tried the new beer Chang Light? It looks and tastes strangely familiar, I recall a green bottled Danish brew of very similar appearance and taste sold in Thailand not too long ago.

:idea:
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you saying that the light Singha drainage water tastes same same a delicious Carlsberg!!!!!
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
buksida

Post by buksida »

No, I was saying there were uncanny similarities between the Light Chang and that grand Danish brew, however I was looking for a second opinion as my tastebuds have been ruined by years of vindaloo abuse as a youngster.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
tuktukmike
Guru
Guru

Post by tuktukmike »

God i miss CARLSBERG.

Probably the best lager in the world. :cheers:

Mike.
Jaime
Legend
Legend

Post by Jaime »

Before Chang was born, Carlsberg always did a 'for export' beer called 'Elephant Beer' at about 8 per cent. It was named after either the Elephant Gates, or the Elephant Brewery, where Carlsberg is brewed in Copenhagen. This is all recalled from memory from the label of a bottle of Elephant Beer after a sesh on the stuff so it may be slightly innacurate but is almost interesting nevertheless.
Norseman
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Norseman »

Ok, light Chang or Singha, who cares. Carlsberg is better! THE No.1 beer, at least for me!!

:cheers:
I intend to live forever - so far so good.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

I cannot drink light beer as in Australia, light beer has only 2-2.5% alchohol strength whereas most Aussie beers are around 5%. My body gets rejection fever if I do not drink full strenght.

The Elephant Beer is good stuff and is very strong, your head certainly feels it the next day after drinking it.

There is still one Carlsberg Beer that cannot be beaten and that is the World Famous "Carlsberg Sprecial Brew".
I managed to find a bottle shop in Perth a few months ago that sold the 500ml cans and had to laugh as it has a health warning lable stuck to each can.
It states that each can contains the equivilant of 3.6 standard size Aussie beers in one can. I bought 4 can s and polished them of in one night.

I can assure you that they are still as good as ever, delivering the worst hangover that I have had in years. But on the other hand, had the best nights sleep that I have had for ages. They worked better than any sleeping tablets that I have ever taken.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
JW
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by JW »

Very likely your onto something there Buksi.
Onto the Carlesberg Special Brew
Chelsea, i think what you described as sleep, after 4 cans of Special Brew was probably closer to being in a coma! Drank a snakebite of Diamond White and Special Brew many years ago, the result was not pretty, dangerous combo and since never drunk either. Last time i was in Newcastle on a student night, the bars wouldnt serve snakebite, after numerous cases of people going crazy. Dont know if this is still the case.
chelsea
Ace
Ace

Post by chelsea »

JW, we used to have the same problem with going down to Somerset, Devon and Cornwall and not being served Scrumpy. The pub owners used to reckon that their pubs had been wrecked to many times with people other than locals drinking scrumpy and then carrying out a very crude form of renovations to their pubs after a few pints.

I have drank the Strongbow White and I think the combination of Special Brew and White would be absolutley leathal in the wrong hands.

Coma was the correct word for my state, we had been for lunch and a bottle of wine, followed by a few early Saturday afternoon beers and home to watch the football on the tele. It was then I decided to get stuck into the special brew.

I am a very light sleeper, and normally if anyone lays a hand on me I am awake straight away. Well my GF woke up at about 5.00am, the tele was blaring out the late night video music show and I was in a severe special brew coma. Apparently she shook and shook me and in the end thought I was dead, after a final shake, I started to stir.

After waking up, my first words were "where is the can I just opened". That was a fatal mistake as I had fallen asleep with the can in my hand, dropped it on the carpet and it had rolled under the couch. Not only did I cop a severe hangover the next day, but had to put up with a Sunday full of verbal from my GF re the mess on the carpet.

I only buy them in ones or twos now, as 4 is a bit much, and I know that if they are in the fridge they will get drunk.

If they ever have them in Thailand, do not let the Thais get their hands on them, they are bad enough on the local whisky, can you iamgine them after a few cans of Special Brew.
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

JW wrote:Very likely your onto something there Buksi.
Onto the Carlesberg Special Brew
Chelsea, i think what you described as sleep, after 4 cans of Special Brew was probably closer to being in a coma! Drank a snakebite of Diamond White and Special Brew many years ago, the result was not pretty, dangerous combo and since never drunk either. Last time i was in Newcastle on a student night, the bars wouldnt serve snakebite, after numerous cases of people going crazy. Dont know if this is still the case.
You were in Newcastle, JW? I was for a year in 1981. Totally agree that you couldn't get a snakebite anywhere in the city centre. I was thrown out of a pub there when the landlord saw me mixing half a cider and half a lager.
The place to get it was the university bar. I was standing in a queue to get my drink and there were two really pissed up people in front of me. What they were doing was buying 4 pints of snakebite - 2 a piece - and going to the end of the queue again. By the time they'd arrived, they needed another 2.
All night long. They were a real mess at the end of the night, but great fun to see!!