Premier League 2009-10

Discussion on sports not relating to Hua Hin; football, rugby, motorsports, fantasy leagues and armchair sports fans meet here.
caller
Hero
Hero

Re: Premier League 2009-10

Post by caller »

Okay. My take on today, after answering SJ!

Family are Fulham born and bred, both sides, going back at least 3 generations, within spitting distance of the Bridge and just about all worked at the Gas Works. The men folk and ladies were all Chelsea fans. My Grandad was, my dad was, and I am. Its in the blood. I went to my first game when I was 6 or 7. We beat Fulham 2-1. Bobby Tambling was my first hero, followed by the King of Stamford Bridge - you know who I mean.

In 1970, when we first won the cup, I went to every home game and collected enough programme coupons to get a ticket to go to the final. I was deemed too young and the ticket went elsewhere. Probably right as I was a chronic asthmatic and before the replay I had to have medical attention i.e. Doctor came to calm me down with a needle in my arm.

The mate I met the next morning on our usual route to school is still a mate and we still go to games together, though less frequently.

Before I was born, my ma and pa crossed the river to Putney - south of the river - SW London/Surrey borders was where I grew up. My memories of Fulham are of close knit family, pie and eel shops and North End Road market, where family members ran stalls.

But, for all the years I lived and worked all over London, I breathed a sigh of relief when I crossed the Thames to what was my part of town, even though I moved from further SW from Putney. I still breath that sigh of relief, though now its between junction 7 and 8/9 of the M4!

So to the game. Well, it was a bad day in the office and Spurs deserved their win. But we were awful. I was shocked to learn that both Deco and Joe Cole were playing - against Spurs? Thats too lightweight. I had no idea that Ivanocic was fit, as he was, so why wasn't he in the side? That proved crucial in the first half with Gareth Bale running wild. By the time he was on, at the start of the 2nd half, it was too late.

Ballack and Anelka, who I think has been Chelseas best player this season, should have been on from the start. Drogba was dreadful but ironically was better after he had his moment at the start of the 2nd half. The penalty clearly wasn't but Terry himself said the other day these things balance themselves out over a season, and whilst Keegan and Venables disagreed with that view at half-time, it turned out prophetic.

His sending-off? Well, he himself pointed out only 2 fouls committed, I think the 2nd one was a booking, I would question the first? The referee was consistently awful and awful isn't good enough.

But we needed big performances from our big players and apart from Frankie boy, as ever, we didn't get it. But that late goal could prove crucial.

So a bad day for my team and a good one for Spurs, who deserved the win. I said it would go right to the wire and before the season started I predicted Spurs would finish in the top four - seems like I could be right!
Talk is cheap
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Yesterday was a stonkingly good day for Spurs

Great stuff with Manure just beating City (Thank you Mr. Scholes) and our boys stuffing both the Arse and those blue things in the same week

Well done 'Arry
What a great finale to a season
Let's face it, whover wins the premiership or indeed the 4th sport - it's a great spectacle for the game.
Come on you Spurs
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

Let's see if we can do Chelsea & Arsenal a favour next week at United. It's about time we had a bit of luck at Old Trafford after so many injustices these past few years against them!

btw nice to ses JD put away a penalty at last!
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

caller wrote:Okay. My take on today, after answering SJ!

Family are Fulham born and bred, both sides, going back at least 3 generations, within spitting distance of the Bridge and just about all worked at the Gas Works. The men folk and ladies were all Chelsea fans. My Grandad was, my dad was, and I am. Its in the blood. I went to my first game when I was 6 or 7. We beat Fulham 2-1. Bobby Tambling was my first hero, followed by the King of Stamford Bridge - you know who I mean.

In 1970, when we first won the cup, I went to every home game and collected enough programme coupons to get a ticket to go to the final. The mate I met the next morning on our usual route to school is still a mate and we still go to games together, though less frequently.
Sorry I wasn't questioning/hinting at your allegience to Chelsea, you explained it on here ages back and just like some of my mates from Hounslow/Cranford way, you are clearly not a JCL. I respect that mate, was just having a little dig about your club being in Fulham and not Chelsea.

Anyway, back to the match ....

john-terry-tiny-tea_673552c.jpg
john-terry-tiny-tea_673552c.jpg (36.79 KiB) Viewed 279 times
SJ
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Yeah, sorry about that SJ, I was a little touchy yesterday! I'm surprised that the passion is still there? I wonder whether it will survive the move to LOS?
Talk is cheap
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

What are Arsenal playing at?
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Terry
Suspended
Suspended
Location: At Hua Hin Fishing Lodge, Hin Lek Fai most of the time.......

Post by Terry »

Nice to see the Arse throw it away again - especially after we ironically give them another chance by beating Chelsea. :duck:

COYS :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Well done to Wigan - they must be this season's come back Kings :shock:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

JimmyGreaves wrote:What are Arsenal playing at?
absolutely no idea jg!! :? :shock: :?

i know we have a big injury list but 2-0 up with 10 mins to go & wigan not looking threatening at all . . . . . . . . what followed was shambolic to say the least. :cuss:

i don't think we were capable of winning the title even if we had won yesterday, but we did have hope :|

the only positive i can take from it, is that wenger must now know the back up players aren't up to it.
i suspect a few will be shipped out in the summer & 3 or 4 top signings will be brought in, most notably a keeper & centre half.

it's quite ironic that 2 of your players, bale & gomes were almost shipped out because of their poor form,yet now are probably your 2 best players :|
gomes has gone from a clown keeper to the best in the prem imo :|

& anyone that had us as banker on ikts . . . . . . . . . . . :lach:
Remember, no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

redzonerocker wrote:gomes has gone from a clown keeper to the best in the prem imo :|
Are you Arsenal's Goalkeeper scout?
stgrhe
Professional
Professional

Post by stgrhe »

redzonerocker wrote:the only positive i can take from it, is that wenger must now know the back up players aren't up to it.
Let's hope Wenger decides not to extend his contract. IMO Wenger's "use before date" is long overdue. It is really pathetic to hear his excuses and his claims that his young squad has the same qualities as those of Chelsea and Man U. Although the team sometime can put up a tremendous display the squad is simply too thin and much too inconsistent to win any titles. Hence the need for a new coach and why not give Pat Rice a chance?

Football is about to score goals, not to do the most beautiful passes!
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

BaaBaa. wrote:
unfortunately not! but if i was . . . . top of the list would be joe hart followed by craig gordon & rob green.

& almunia :shock: :cuss: , he would be packed off to billy smart's circus :mrgreen:
not so sure on fabianski though :? could possibly be a good keeper in the future, he has made some horrific blunders but to be fair hasn't really had enough playing time to gain any big game experience.

remember gomes at the beginning of his time at spurts? blunderful!!
now look at him :shock: his saves against us, 2 from van the man & the one from campbell :shock: :shock: , world class saves, credit where it's due!!! :cheers:
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

stgrhe wrote:
Let's hope Wenger decides not to extend his contract. IMO Wenger's "use before date" is long overdue.
what? :shock: you want to sack him after overseeing a major overhaul at arsenal which included . . . .
moving to a brand new stadium.
a new state of the art training centre.
& an academy set up second to none!!!!

all done without the benefit of a sugar daddy paying the bills or selling the club to foreign investors & incurring massive debts!!!

remember, we were the favourites to drop out of the c/l places this year :|

though i would agree he has been guilty of to much blind faith with some players, but, a season of long term injuries to key, as well as squad players was bound to take it's toll. :|
the squad is simply too thin and much too inconsistent to win any titles.
agreed, he really should have added some experience pre season & at worst in the january transfer window.
i'm sure he will bring in 3 or 4 in the summer & imo that's all we need.

Hence the need for a new coach and why not give Pat Rice a chance?
if there was, it certainly won't be him :lach:
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

redzonerocker wrote:agreed, he really should have added some experience pre season & at worst in the january transfer window. i'm sure he will bring in 3 or 4 in the summer & imo that's all we need.
Sense of deja-vu here, haven't we heard the same over the last 4/5 years? What has he done? Bought a Manc reject, Gallas, who has never reached the heights he did at Chelsea, which says a lot and er, brought back Sol Campbell - wtf! :?

He inherited probably the best defence there has ever been in the UK and has never effectivelly replaced them as they gradually retired. Same with a goalkeeper.

I really believe next season will be Wengers last opportunity to turn all the obvious promise and talent at his disposal into tangible success. I also believe Fabregas has played his last game for the team and his fee should secure some real buying power in the market.
Talk is cheap
redzonerocker
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by redzonerocker »

caller wrote: I really believe next season will be Wengers last opportunity to turn all the obvious promise and talent at his disposal into tangible success.
totally agree :thumb:
i also think he knows that some of the fringe players are not up to the mark in the big games.
therefore he will only be buying quality players in the summer, maybe not superstar status but quality just the same.

I also believe Fabregas has played his last game for the team and his fee should secure some real buying power in the market.
i don't think so :? :|
for one his best buddy (alex song) says he has no intention of leaving in the summer & secondly, go where?
spain is probably his only choice, barca? as good as he is, he won't be a regular in the team & probably not at at real either :? :|

so i expect him to be with us next year & a few thereafter i think :D

as for buying power? we have enough money in the coffers already, wenger just seems reluctant to spend it :? :? :?
BaaBaa.
Addict
Addict

Post by BaaBaa. »

redzonerocker wrote:
BaaBaa. wrote:
unfortunately not! but if i was . . . . top of the list would be joe hart followed by craig gordon & rob green.
Is that because they are realistic targets or are you suggesting them 3 along with Gomes are the best in the league?

Joe Hart does look like he's going to be some keeper.

As for Fabregas, he'll end up at Barca but I'm not sure when.