Advertising on HHAD

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

STEVE G wrote:
Jockey wrote:What I would like to know is why is Old spelled with an e as in Ye Olde Buffalo Tavern?
Apparently it was spelt that way between the Norman Conquest and the latter part of the fifteenth century, but I wouldn’t have thought that Buffalo Bills was that old!
Incidentally, in my home town of Nottingham we have ‘Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem Inn’ which can get away with this kind of spelling as it’s been there since 1189.
My home town also Ay-up midduk
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

OK, moving away from the original topic slightly, but not wanting to start a new thread unnecessarily - how about creating a new forum/section for sponsors? Sponsors may only advertise in this section; not here, there and everywhere as happens at present. That way, we (the consumers and potential customers) know roughly what we're getting when we click on a site and don't waste our time clicking on something we think might be interesting only to find it's a supposedly clever way of getting us to look at an advert.

I don't think most sponsors would have a problem with this, as they generally tend to make it quite clear when they start a thread that it is advertising something. Some have their own 'stickies' in related forums, which are regularly viewed, and I have no problem with that - indeed, I always look at the Ham & Bacon sticky (for example) to see what new goodies they have. I don't think anyone has a problem with advertising, IF they know what they are clicking on to.

It's only a mild irritation, rather than a serious problem, but it does seem to be an irritation for quite a few members.
This is the way
Spitfire
Addict
Addict

Post by Spitfire »

Sounds reasonable DM, we'll have to see what the gentlemen think.
Resolve dissolves in alcohol
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

All of these things are under consideration and are currently being discussed between the active moderators.

There will be a couple of minor changes to operations in the new year that will, hopefully, help the forums run a little more smoothly than they have been recently.

As always, we appreciate your ideas and suggestions.

LJ
Chas
Banned
Banned

thread titles

Post by Chas »

Lev, I for one am pleased with the move to make thread titles reflect the topic of the thread. That "URGENT" thread title was most annoying, dishonest certainly and a little bit like crying "Fire" in a crowded room. Sure it gets your attention, but the next "urgent" might actually BE urgent and be suspected as being just another marketing ploy.

As for the English grammar issue, my rule of thumb is. . if you can understand what the writer is trying to say, all is well. No problem. Doesn't have to be perfect or be spell-checked. A discussion board like this is about communication, it is not a pissing contest over who spells the best.

As for English in advertising, that is quite another matter IMHO. Why Thai- run businesses do not grab the nearest native English speaker for a quick read through before spending thousands of baht on a glossy brochure or expensive print ad filled with terrible English is beyond me. These are, by definition, aimed at foreigners and instead of reflecting a professional operation, they just give the prospective customers a good laugh.

By the way "ye" as in Ye Olde Tavern was just a written shorthand abbreviation for "The" and pronounced as "the". . .not as "yee." That and the extra "E" on Olde are very common in the US for places that want to appear to be 18th century in origin.