Advertising on HHAD

Help us improve the forum! Make a suggestion for the board or ask questions here. This area is also for forum announcements.
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Advertising on HHAD

Post by dtaai-maai »

Maybe I'm just getting picky in my... erm... slowly advancing middle age, but it seems to me that there is some really self-destructive advertising by some (not most) of the sponsors on HHAD.

I'm starting a new thread because I don't want to name names, but since I have recently criticised Buffalo Bill's for not giving prices, let me make it quite clear I'm not referring to them. This applies to advertisers across the range, not just bar/restaurants.

You have to be a sponsor to advertise, so you are paying for the privilege. You are therefore running a business, one which you presumably want to be seen as professional, efficient and value-for-money (etc. etc.). It would be daft not to take full advantage of the advertising opportunity; so GET IT RIGHT!

if i see an ad with no capitol leters and wich has has eratic speling and corny phrases i assume the advertiser doesn't care very much and i wouldnt touch wotever it is with a bargepole

Have a look at the HH Ham, Bacon & Meat thread; nice pics, good presentation, etc. etc.

If you're advertising something that costs a few 1000 baht and you can't type or spell, or English isn't your native language, spend a few 100 baht to find someone who can make it look halfway presentable.

I sense a business opportunity, but I'm afraid I've just alienated any potential customers... :shock:

Hell's teeth, it irritates me so much, I'd do it free.

Maybe.
This is the way
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

All sponsors excepted but......1000% have to agree.

How can a consumer make a choice without a comparison. A certain Irish guy posted his full menu, including price, and there not been one response....huh?

The competitor posts his menu not once but twice, and completely ignores posts asking for the price.... hmmmm.

I live here and I'm looking at options for Xmas day, but I'm damn sure out of the two 'sponsors' there's only one I'd consider.

Bill....I don't know you from Adam, but I know you've been in town for helluva LONG time. Has your brain fried or do just not give a shit what potential customers think. Sorry man, but you have lost the plot.

And no,I ain't gonna come down your gaff to talk about it.....free peeve or not.
Never trust a hippy....
caller
Hero
Hero

Post by caller »

Murf didn't get a response as he posted all the information that was needed...
Talk is cheap
Heebio
Professional
Professional

Post by Heebio »

@ Caller

Agreed, it was all there....hence the lack of response. You can't argue with the facts. Murf has overheads the same as his competitors, but from a conumser's point of view, at least he's transparent.

Don't tell me I'm the only one that's totally bewildered by the total lack of response and 'IMHO' sheer arrogance of some of Buffalao Bill's recent posts, not just about Xmas dinner, but the charity night as well.

Can of worms, but I'd like to think I'm doing the guy a favour by raising this is a public forum.

Bill.....kao jai mai?
Never trust a hippy....
Wanderlust
Legend
Legend

Post by Wanderlust »

While I partly agree with some of what is said in the OP, it is up to the businesses concerned how and what they advertise. While this thread may serve a purpose in letting advertisers and potential advertisers what those who post on it would like, the only thing that will affect these decisions will be 'bums on seats' i.e. hard cash. It is entirely possible that the old adage about advertising is the most applicable here, in that all publicity is good for a business, whether good or bad; some will be intrigued by Bill's offering and go there to find out while others won't; equally others may look at El Murphys menu and price and decide not to go because it doesn't fit their requirements, while others it will fit like a glove; I wouldn't mind betting (and I also genuinely hope) that both will be full for all sittings, so there is unlikely to be a definitive answer as to which approach works. I'm sure from a purely HHAD point of view, Bill's approach is preferred because it generates more discussion! :thumb:
splitlid
Guru
Guru

Post by splitlid »

not putting certain info, gets people asking questions, and therefore the topic in the top 10 for a few days, posting everything in one go keeps the topic in the top ten for about 25 minutes.

good business sense to keep it active. :D
"All the otters don't understand me"
"We might make you bother"
JimmyGreaves
Legend
Legend

Post by JimmyGreaves »

splitlid wrote:not putting certain info, gets people asking questions, and therefore the topic in the top 10 for a few days, posting everything in one go keeps the topic in the top ten for about 25 minutes.

good business sense to keep it active. :D
Yes but where would most punters go. In my opinion the one that gives you all information up front not the one who uses small print or no print
Diplomacy is the ability to tell a man to go to hell so that he looks forward to making the trip
Cowtown Comedy
Professional
Professional

Post by Cowtown Comedy »

HHAD has a a great selection of business directories and business web site links for it's sponsors. Why does this advertising have to seep into the public forum? I have a business in HH, and I'm not an HHAD sponsor and as such, I respect their rules. However if I'm an event, like Black Vanilla Dinner Theatre I can post a 1 page topic about my business without being a sporsor. Interesting set of rules!
“Don't worry about a thing, every little thing is gonna be alright”.....B. Marley
Lev
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Post by Lev »

We try to take each post as it comes and not issue a blanket rule that prevents anyone from posting events or information. We have, however, had dialogue with a number of local businesses that were, shall we say, less than polite to us - so naturally there are some we do not favour.

Part of the sponsorship is freedom to use the forum to inform readers of current promotions and news, the sponsors look after us, we look after them. The freeloaders know where to go.
sandman67
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by sandman67 »

Im probably an odd one out but with me the louder you shout the less I listen.

Bill, I appreciate your need to advertise but really when three of the topics in the "Latest Topics" list are about your place it starts to look a wee bit too much to these eyes anyway. It doesnt help when older threads are rebounced into the list by new posts to the thread. And of the sponsors mate you are the one that seems to post almost weekly new topics.

Maybe the mods could look at advertising posts and stick em in a separate category...and take them off the list in the sidebar....or put all posts from one sponsor in one long thread....

:idea:
"Science flew men to the moon. Religion flew men into buildings."

"To sin by silence makes cowards of men."
dtaai-maai
Hero
Hero

Post by dtaai-maai »

sandman67 wrote:Im probably an odd one out but with me the louder you shout the less I listen.
Actually, I tend to agree with SM on this, but that really isn't why I posted - you're all off topic! A decision not to post a price is one that is up to the individual business - my point was that any ad should be literate and well presented. Buffalo Bill doesn't fall into the category I was originally referring to.
This is the way
JAJA

Post by JAJA »

I think that advertising posts should clearly identify that they are an advertisement as opposed to an item of discussion.

AS to eligibility to post advertisements, it seems that if you have 3 businesses and one of them is a sponsor, then all three yet posting rights. Is this correct?

What happens if you want to respond to an advertising post with an opinion that the establishment is crap and the proprietor is an arrogant bully? Will such posts be accepted or censored?
Super Joe
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by Super Joe »

JAJA, I blame admin for not explaining any of this to you before. Twice :wink:

SJ
crazy88
Deceased
Deceased

Post by crazy88 »

I am having a BBQ on the beach on the 25th followed by something more traditional at a friends on the 26th .

I have made this decision because neither Bill nor Murf have posted anything regarding the colour of their fairy lights or details of what brand of toilet paper will be in the ladies over the festive season . :cuss:

I might pop along to a couple of town venues after to hand out the annual "Victor Meldrew awards" however . :wink:

Crazy 88

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
cookmanchef
Professional
Professional

Post by cookmanchef »

Haha, nice post Crazy. Only 500 baht a head at my place but then again you only get a bottle of Chang and a slice of toast so maybe its not the best value around!!