GBP vs THB

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Re: GBP vs THB

Post by StevePIraq »

We could do with an AUD Vs THB thread as the Oz$ is dying quicker than Sterling, I also follow the AUD
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The pound is sinking fast. Interbank rate 42.75, lowest for 10 years or more.
Fortunately, because I keep my eye on it, I transferred a big lump just over a week ago and it arrived at 43.6 net. That's probably under 42 at the bank now.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

According to the sites I've looked at, it's the lowest since before the crash of '97
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Uncertainty---traders in any investment vehicle hate uncertainty.May go lower
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Now at 41.9352, what a disaster
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:04 pm Now at 41.9352, what a disaster
NOT Good! :roll:

Thankfully, it's only holiday travel for me at the moment, but I truly feel for the expats there in HH (and elsewhere) who are suffering with the general cost of living and their pensions etc.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
buksida

Post by buksida »

I must say that having been in the UK for a few months this year the cost of living is not cheap in Thailand. For daily items, groceries etc, a pound goes a lot further than 40 baht (unless you want to live like a peasant). There is also the psychological thing that a £20 note feels like a lot more than 840 baht.
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
pharvey

Post by pharvey »

buksida wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 2:28 pm I must say that having been in the UK for a few months this year the cost of living is not cheap in Thailand. For daily items, groceries etc, a pound goes a lot further than 40 baht (unless you want to live like a peasant). There is also the psychological thing that a £20 note feels like a lot more than 840 baht.
China also is far from cheap these days. Well, at least on the cost of living with regards to food,utilities, medication etc.

I'll start a new thread requesting some info. regarding the latter.
"Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things" - Yma o Hyd.
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

It is going to be a rough ride for the pound but as soon as the EU starts making the right honest moves to protect itself , then common sense will surely prevail. This will start to happen at their meeting in October IMO.

What must never be forgotten is that the EU is terrified that if their members see benefits to the UK then the sheer weakness of the EU economically ( totally surviving upon the clout of Germany) would lead some other member states to leave.
Just remember the capital ratios required by member states at the commencement of the Euro. When later the likes of Italy and Greece and others could not maintain these they thought up new rules and on it has gone .
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

The banks are giving 40.5 for cash!
PET
Legend
Legend

Post by PET »

Kasikorn closing rate for buying Sterling Pound from bank transfer is 41.6625 - for what its worth!
Courage is grace under pressure and when circumstances change you change your mind.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by oakdale160 »

Other currencies dropping--anybody with some economic knowledge explain why the Baht is relatively strong.
lomuamart

Post by lomuamart »

I'm not 100% certain but I think that a lot of it has to do with the stability of the Thai economy and their foreign reserves.
Thailand can sort of manipulate their way out of economic trouble because they have huge foreign currency reserves - supposedly.
Unfortunately, the UK and a lot of other western countries aren't so secure any more.
HHTel
Hero
Hero

Post by HHTel »

Thailand 206 billion dollars
Uk 160 billion dollars

as of March and July 2018 respectively.
oakdale160
Rock Star
Rock Star