Foreigners need business visas to attend meetings in Thailand

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
buksida

Foreigners need business visas to attend meetings in Thailand

Post by buksida »

A recent revamp of the work permit law has made life easier for foreign investors visiting the country to do business. Since it was enacted earlier this year, the Executive Decree on Administration and Management of Employment of Foreigners means they are no longer required to obtain a work permit to attend business meetings in Thailand.

A legal peril few were likely aware of, it was in fact the case for decades that attending a meeting for even one day was deemed “work” under the law and therefore illegal without a permit.

Most foreign visitors simply ignored the law and risked arrest by entering the country on a tourist visa to participate in meetings. Arrests were rare, and people took the remote risk for granted.

Yet, in the back of their minds, there was fear and worry.

Now, attending a business meeting without fear of arrest means only obtaining a business visa – at least until immigration law fully catches up. The link between the work permit and immigration laws is that foreigners must enter Thailand on a Non-Immigrant B Business Visa to obtain a work permit.

Full article: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/featured/ ... -meetings/
Who is the happier man, he who has braved the storm of life and lived or he who has stayed securely on shore and merely existed? - Hunter S Thompson
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Re: Foreigners need business visas to attend meetings in Thailand

Post by Pleng »

Most foreign visitors simply ignored the law and risked arrest by entering the country on a tourist visa to participate in meetings. Arrests were rare, and people took the remote risk for granted.
I imagine that most visitors did not, and in fact entered the country on a visa-exempt stamp, declaring that they are attending for business purposes on their arrival card. Has there ever been clarification if this is acceptable practice or not?
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

The same applies in many countries that a visa is required for work, even attending meetings or inspections so people enter on tourist visa on arrival to bypass the system. I don't believe people actually have any fear or worry in this regard.

I did the same in numerous countries and myself and others had no concerns.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali
Pleng
Legend
Legend

Post by Pleng »

StevePIraq wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:35 pm The same applies in many countries that a visa is required for work, even attending meetings or inspections so people enter on tourist visa on arrival to bypass the system.
But the visa exemption stamp is not the same as a visa-on-arrival, tourist or otherwise. It's a wavier of the requirement to possess a visa to enter the country.
StevePIraq
Rock Star
Rock Star

Post by StevePIraq »

Ok I didn't know that. I have never had a visa exempt stamp anywhere.
"Live everyday as if it were your last because someday you're going to be right." Muhammad Ali