Renew US Passport by Mail

Visa questions, companies, work permits, employment, insurance, banking and finance, and legal issues.
Homer
Rock Star
Rock Star

Renew US Passport by Mail

Post by Homer »

This was news to me when I visited the embassy 2 days ago. There are eligibility requirements, of course. If you meet them, send the passport by mail or courier, then:
Full-validity passports are printed in the United States and mailed to the embassy or consulate that processed the renewal. Once it arrives the embassy or consulate will mail it to the address provided on your checklist along with your old passport. The old passport will be canceled and a letter to facilitate your Thai visa transfer will be included.

I'm concerned you don't have a choice of how the passports are sent to you, especially because the only option mentioned is 'mail'.

Cost is 3840 b

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-se ... ult-renew/
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Re: Renew US Passport by Mail

Post by handdrummer »

Never trust the post office.
RCer
Ace
Ace

Post by RCer »

handdrummer wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:38 pm Never trust the post office.
I'll second that.
PeteC

Post by PeteC »

It's mailed from the Bangkok embassy via registered EMS. We've done it three times now and hasn't been a problem. Pete :cheers:

Edit: For clarification we haven't done the "renew by mail" but the normal renewal requiring a visit to the embassy. New passports under that process can be mailed locally via EMS, or can be picked up at the embassy.
Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. Source
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

Yes, works fine, and I've never had a problem with ThaiPost, and excellent service.

You could alway opt to pick up at Embassy.
handdrummer
Addict
Addict

Post by handdrummer »

laphanphon wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:32 am Yes, works fine, and I've never had a problem with ThaiPost, and excellent service.

You could alway opt to pick up at Embassy.
The Thai Post Office has "lost" a package from the US, delivered another one to the wrong address that ended up in customs and 100+km drive to pick it up in Petchaburi with a subsequent visit to the local FDA and a charge of 10% vat, 7% sales tax and a fee for "storage". No, I don't trust the ThaiPost or any Government office.
laphanphon
Guru
Guru

Post by laphanphon »

My experiences much different. Though will say, now, they do seem to inspect every package coming in. Not so in the past. Expected, security and tax revenue.

Yes, customs is a separate problem, and rule by mood.

Saying that, about 50+ in county and a few international out of country mailings, parcels, and all made it (USA). Along with 100+ international parcel deliveries received, and no problems. Love my online shopping, and luckily don't need much now, as they really are getting tight with imports.

Stick with local vendors now, and 'in country' products / already warehoused here. LAZ, Shoppee, Shop24 have been good. Worth a bit extra to avoid customs and receive promptly.